In need of some advice about Kuwait.

Long story short, me and a girl became very close friends (lovers) online over the past year and a half, although she is having a hard time getting a US visa, and I am a broke college student. And lately we've been drifting apart due to the distance and hopelessness of ever meeting... However, I will have a month between Spring / Fall semester, and because it is christmas time I will have enough money to go to Kuwait and see her. I plan to stay in Salmiya.

Although I don't know very much about the country... so I come here to ask the experts :)

1. Can I get by only speaking English? Obviously I know the girl I am going for and some of her friends, but they all have jobs and busy schedules so I expect to be on my own sometimes.

2. What are some romantic places I can take her too? I've heard dating is sort of taboo over there.

3. How does marriage work there? We're very close and have known each other a long time now... so if we are compatible in real life as well I'd like to ask her to marry me (plus then she can come to the US easy). Does the process take a few days, weeks, or do we just go somewhere for the papers? Not planning on having a big ceremony in Kuwait.

4. Probably most important... I don't really have a place to stay. I'm kind of hoping I can stay with her, but I know the culture is way different there and this is not really acceptable. Although she doesn't live with her parents, she lives with her aunt who is more "cool" with me staying there, I'm not 100% certain I can. Are there any places to stay the night for free, like homeless places or whatnot? Or are there any places for rent that would let me stay for verrry cheap for half a month?

Thanks for all your help :)

Are you for real? Let's see here, a broke college student coming blind to a Muslim country to visit his lover? Ticket: over $1000 to buy from the states, entry visit fee, taxi fee at least $20 each time you use it, sorry bro no "homeless" places (face palm) 99% of people here are on a work visa, hotels go for $80 a night and up, as for marriage (if she's Muslim) you would have to convert to Islam and have a police background check plus a document stating you are single and I know those documents are expensive to get. You actually thinking this is a good idea: priceless! My advice: use this money for college, get a degree and apply for jobs in Kuwait and if she's the one she will wait, don't put yourself into a position that may cost you more than it's worth. If for some reason you get in trouble and go to jail there's no way out and no one to help you, not even the US embassy.

I have enough for the passport and plane ticket. And she's Christian, not Muslim. As far as I've read, there is no entrance fee?

"U.S. citizens can obtain visitor visas at the port of entry in Kuwait, and at this time, U.S. citizens are not charged a fee." I was thinking of just renting a place for a month rather than staying in hotels, and it seems the cost is about $1000...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA................you are better off to spend your money on college and possibly become a little smarter. If you are dead set on wasting you time and money, thats your own deal.

I'm sorry. I do spend the majority of my money on college. I just have enough extra to come to Kuwait, although it will be tight if I have to rent an apt there too so I would have preferred to be able to find a place for cheap (not that hard in America, but apparently it is in Kuwait, you could have just said this without being faggots, sorry for not knowing every detail about a tiny country halfway across the world). I have a 4.0 GPA, which is straight A's, I don't know how much smarter you want me to be.

Regardless, I decided to wait until Summer when I can stay much longer and am not as rushed, and I should also be able to afford everything more easily by then.

Can you answer the other questions at least, or have you lot never been anywhere romantic with someone?

1. Can I get by only speaking English?

2. What are some romantic places?

Also thanks kuwait411 for the marriage part, but she is Christian. Is it the same process just without the me-converting-to-islam thing?

I really wish u best of luck n im definitely sure u can survive here in kuwait lol. English is spoken pretty much everywhere .. restaurants and cab drivers. even when u tryin to rent an apartment . the weather is too hot humid during summer but hey if its convenient for both of u guys during summer thats cool. Romantic places restaurants u can always Google them . theres one kuwaiti restaurant in Burj jassim Kuwait city have a beautiful view. jet skiing. going out to malls. pretty much what u can do around kw!!!!

Even if you marry a Christian, you as a male must provide documents that you are currently single, these documents must be attested by the US and Kuwait embassies which could cost 5-600 bucks. There is no way you can stay in Kuwait for $1000 which is about 300KD, daily motel rates are 25KD and monthly runs 200 KD or more. You are charged upon airport entry a tourist visa fee it's not free to come to this country. Finish school apply here for jobs or risk your freedom, you've been warned.

Thanks nini986 :) I don't think the weather will be too much of a problem, I am used to hot & humid here in Texas.

I think there is a lot of confusion over my money situation because of how quickly I told my story in my OP. I am broke, and I intend to pay for as much of this as I can, if I can pay for all of it that would be great but the more you lot talk about how expensive it is, the more it seems like that won't happen. The girl is willing to spend some of her money on this as well. However, if I do run out of money, my family has millions.

I'm not really interested in moving to Kuwait, and the girl also doesn't like living there. I'd much prefer to go temporarily and help her get back to the States with me. She will make more money here and it's not so restrictive on lots of things.

Your family has millions? Yeah, whatever dude. Keyword: family, not you. Millions of dollars still does not add up, now if they had millions of KD's then you would have something to talk about and even if your family has "millions" once your locked up it doesn't matter as they won't know where you are for a long time. This whole post reeks of BS.

Why do you think I will get locked up? lol. Is that how every foreigner in Kuwait ends up or something? I've never been in trouble with the law.

Can you just stop replying if all you're going to do is spread negativity? So you don't believe me about my money situation, big deal. Remind me to go cry about it later. You couldn't even answer 1/2 of the questions in the OP and you live in Kuwait. In fact all you've done this whole time is discourage travel to Kuwait by saying there is a very good chance of getting thrown in jail. You make it sound like North Korea is more pleasant than Kuwait, lmao! Luckily I know quite a few kuwaitis and know they aren't all shitty  like you. Please fix the attitude or don't reply.

Good day Casper667

Some help

You can get by with English but have an Arabic English book with you.  Lonely planet phrase book is good.  The level of English here is quite low even among those that claim to speak English. 

Romantic places are limited. I have been here four months and have not found any place to really take my wife (and kid  who is 1 1/2 yr. old).  Most places are restaurants. Hey a trip to the mall, park or one of the few museums is as good as it gets.  Fly down to Dubai - mucho brownie points.  Dating is officially taboo but among expats not an issue though official and unofficial customs are not that obvious.

Marriage, I do not know.  Continue browsing the web. But seriously consider that move especially if the idea is a US Visa. The ability to travel to the US legally is very valuable here.  Most American do not understand.  Be very careful.  Bring up the idea of moving to some Asian country as it would be cheaper to live and easier to get a job.  Good way to gauge.

Spending a month or two weeks should not be an issue especially if you have a return ticket and on a tourist visa.  Some apartment rentals are available for short term, one month at around 300 KWD ~ 720 USD. Probably you could try Couch Share or such.  There are some expats here that do that.

My quick two cents worth

M

Thanks TriniMario! Your post was very helpful! :)

I've decided to wait until summer to visit, so I can stay longer and also have more time to get my money right. And I know this girl is being sincere with me, not just trying to use me for my American passport.

You mentioned CouchShare... is that a certain website or something? I googled it but didn't find much on the first page.

And I'm not sure I could fly down to Dubai too... My family has money but probably would not spend it on such trivial things and I sure will not have enough for a whole extra vacation within a vacation!

Yes you can speak English and get by.

Their are several nice restaurants you can go to.

There isn't any cheap places to stay.

Casper! tsk tsk tsk!
I'm smiling reading all the messages :) go boy!;) do what you think is right and what makes you happy.follow your heart. :D
in the end these comments and opinion will not really matter, you are responsible of your life.
you will not know until you figure out with your self. make her feel special. Pray and ask for Guidance. I'm not religious person but I know you will figure it out. if you have friends here maybe you can stay with them one night then figure out for a cheap hotel. Romantic places? just by coming here and seeing this woman is the most romantic thing you will do. not all men have the Guts to do it. :) enjoy! I wish you luck and Happiness! God bless!

kind of bummed out i missed so much of this; my 2 cents:

you want to know if you are both compatible, dont be a third wheel in their house and instead opt for something a little bette - say Dubai? there really is not much to do around Kuwait as far as romance is concerned, so instead of visiting her in her natural habitat, move around. heck why stop at dubai, go to thailand, no one will give you a second glance there (unless they are after your money, or to give a massage to take your money).

everyone you will interact with will speak english in Kuwait.

ok update: i just read about your discourse of a vacation within a vacation; bottom line is there really isnt that much romance that can spring up on u in Kuwait. since you are talking about possibly marrying her, ask her to help you plan a vacation together: keyword - elsewhere.

Trust me, you'll be a lot better off.

@Legacy, I wish I could do that but unfortunately she does not have much money/time to go on vacation because her parents are both laid off atm and she is working 2 jobs to help cover costs for them.

Also we are very close but we still have never met which is a little more complicated for girls than guys, I think going to a foreign country would be even more terrifying for her than just meeting me irl in the first place :)

@Lugien thanks your post was a real confidence booster :D

It doesn't need to be the most romantic place in the world, do you guys have any parks / beaches that are semi secluded, or that we might find a little privacy? It doesn't have to be much, we would probably just be hanging out at my apt or something a lot cause I doubt she will be able to take off the whole 2 months I want to stay. Just would be nice a few days or weekends to take her somewhere romantic :)

Hello Casper,
I hope you enjoy your staying here in Kuwait ...
I think it is very important to get to know the girl you want to marry ...

couple of key advices:
1) English is enough
2) Romantic Places ... no
nice quite restaurants that you may consider romantic are LIMITED
2) semi-secluded beaches ... mid week days you can go to Missila Beach .... this is as private as it gets
3)rents:
good that you are coming in summer. People tends to leave for vacations and they do this kind of deals. since they will pay the rent anyways even if they are away on vacations, they offer the flat for rent while they are away. you can hunt something down of that kind, and the rent is negotiable.
4) and MOST IMPORTANT ...
whether you'll stay in hotels or flats ...
no hanging indoors ... not allowed .. cause no pre-marriage sex is allowed ... so no strangers indoors
sorry .. you should understand that since you knew that dating by itself is a taboo ...
Outdoors, enjoy ...
but no hugging, no kissing
holding hands is ok ...

I'm not trying to be negative or kill your buzz
I'm just letting you know what you should know so you don't get into trouble and enjoy your stay ..

this is the culture around here ...
make your plans around it ...

Again ... NO hanging out @ your place
this is serious ...

enjoy and take care

@marwanezzat I was assuming I could sneak her in? I know it's technically not allowed but as I understand it it's something lots of people do anyways?

No Sir,
not everyone does that.

you could sneak her in ... but if someone sees you ... he may report it and .... well .. you know!!
Don't forget you have neighbors .. and families ... they have kids and all ... their eyes are wide open .. 
think of her and how her family situation will be like if authorities start knocking on your door.

again dear ...
respect the traditions and the culture ...
you may not from here ..
but at least he is "somehow"
and people here expect both of you to understand and cooperate

I hope I was helpful .. and sorry for the disappointment
I am from here and I am telling you
we don't accept sex outside marriage and because we know it happens we keep our eyes open ...

I'm not trying to offend you or threatening you
I'm being your lawyer here ..
just saying you MAY get into trouble

best of luck man
I hope it works out
don't forget the invite me to the wedding :P

Thanks man (or woman, couldn't really tell from your post ><). I know it's a risk. How do they determine if you are/aren't married? And I'm assuming that if we do get married then she can stay at my place with no problems?

I'm used to America where even if we had laws like you do, police would be too busy to really do anything about it. What are the odds of getting in trouble if it only goes on for a few weeks only?

Also don't worry, I don't get offended easy especially when people are trying to help me out :)

first .. I'm a he :)
second ...
they determine by papers dude !
you have to have papers say you're married to even get to rent.
if you rent as single .. here you get into troubles if a girl stat coming over !!

few weeks !!! you're kidding me
if you got away with it once or twice ... there won't be a trice !!

if you get married .. then it's Christmas

Here these things are THE joy of police .. if they got a phone call .. they will be over your head in no time.

I'm trying to help you ... only to get to know the girl you are about to marry ... but the bigger part of me doesn't like your plan of "sneaking" ...

Please understand ...

Well we will just have to see what happens when I get there. We might have to just get married sooner than later :)

Is there a good website to see what is for rent in Kuwait? I've just been using this website http://kuwait.q8residence.com/default.aspx
But if there's a better one or different one that has more options that would be helpful.

How does just friends work over in Kuwait? Can I have a group of friends (both sexes) at my place or is that not allowed either?

Casper,
I enjoyed reading this story, your options are: listen to Marwan, he belongs here and knows better, or listen to Lugien and be ready for loooong prays :)
Good luck!

friends over your place both sexes ...
smells like orgy .... hehehehehehehe
I like to be invited :)
-kidding-

yea you can buddy - no problems

I don't know why you are locking your plans to sticking indoor while it is risky. go out, enjoy the waether ... lots of parks and sea side long walks, restaurants .... etc.

get to know her for real man ...
once she is your wife ... you can have all the "indoor" adventures you like.
Don't rush it ...
it is even against all religions including christianity ..

that's just an advice from someone who cares

Good luck

Well I've heard the weather in summer is miserably hot there :lol:

Really though I don't expect to have lots of money to go out all the time, so having friends over would be easier and I can spend more money on dates with the girl then.

We've already gotten to know each other for 2 years. And neither of us are very religious. :) I will definitely be taking her out as much as possible though.

How much are food prices over there (for 2months)? I don't intend to eat steak or whatever is expensive, just need coffee/basic food items at my place.

Food will set you back ~$300 per month, at minimum.

$300 dinars?

I would say 150 Dinars/month

casper667 wrote:

$300 dinars?

No, $=USD
Between 100-150 dinars.

Cool! You scared me at first with the $300 :| $300USD is much better sounding though. :D

so let me get this straight; her parents are laid off, shes working two jobs, and you are flying over from the USA for a "private time"?

Sorry, you lost me after the shes supporting both of them part.

also, you both have never met, you're worried if she goes to a whole different country to meet you she would be shy, but you were saying she'd had problems getting a US visa. that would be a strange country to her would it not?

dude, your story is sounding more and more contradicting by the minute.

for all intents and purposes, this seems like nothing more than a very elaborate and expensive attempt on your part to "tap that", as alluded by your constant request for information on private areas.

i could be jumping the gun here, but uve pretty much been giving different accounts for quite some time.

i wont give you advice coz u seem to have ur mind made up, although i will say there is more at stake here than ur lust, given the fact that she is the sole provider for her parents atm. assuming u two click and decide to elope (as ur both not very religious), what happens then? u support her whilst she supports her parents? u whisk her away to the US as ur blushing bride? then what happens?

i think u need to give more thought to the bigger picture, as opposed to simply asking about living expenses in Kuwait.

and do feel free to check arabtimesonline.com for numerous stories on couples caught "in the act", it may not be a big deal for u, but it could land her (and her folks) in hot water.

Ok. She works 2 jobs and does send quite a bit of money to her parents if she can afford it due to their circumstances, but she doesn't live with them and is not the sole provider or anything. Their family is complicated, would prefer to not go into too much detail. She still finds quite a lot of time to go out with friends after work and on weekends, I don't think seeing me will be too much of a strain on her schedule.

And yes the USA would be a strange country to her, but at least here one of us would be familiar with things and there is a lot less risks than going to Thailand or somewhere like that.

I want to know private areas because its more romantic to be with just a few other people, rather than surrounded by 100's of people, not because I want to spend $4,000 to "tap that". If I just wanted to have sex that is easier to do and less expensive with college girls here. The only reason I am wanting to spend so much money to go there is because this girl means a lot more to me.

I would like to have sex with her before marrying, because it is a big part of a relationship (to me and to her as well) and would rather see how we click that way before marrying and then finding out there's a problem in bed or something like that. It seems like there will be no problem so far, but real life is a lot different than online. Sorry if you can't understand this, I know our cultures differ about this.

Sorry if it sounds like I am lying or anything, peoples situations are a lot more complicated than can be explained in a few lines of text on a forum and I don't want to put out all of our business here. As much as you all seem nice here, I don't trust you with more personal information than I have to give to explain the situation briefly.

After we do get married, if that happens, she will probably not come back to the US right away with me but it's really up to her. I have a place here if she does decide to come back right away too.

take it easy bro :)
relaaaaaaaxxx, don't get annoyed by our talking ..
you asked for help, and we are giving it to you

we don't blame you for your culture ..
we just warned you that you cannot exercise this culture here

you two are grownups and can be responsible for your actions ...
you decide and make the call ...

we already offered our help ...
it is a done thread I believe ...

take care and enjoy

I did check out arabtimesonline.com and it seems most people being caught for sex are doing it in their car, or some other public setting. I wasn't planning on being nearly that brazen about it :D

What is the punishment if you are caught? Googled but couldn't find it anywhere.

LOL ...
you are desperate ... severely
get help

Nah I just know one of us is probably gonna initiate it during my stay there so might as well prepare.