Blue Cross Vietnam Health Insurance?

Hi,

I will be moving to HCMC next weekend and I am looking at taking out some basic health insurance to cover me. One of the best quotes seems to be from a company called Blue Cross Vietnam (based in HCMC) which is offering me cover for less than 250USD a year...

Has anybody used this company? Are they reputable?

Many thanks

Xaviar84 wrote:

Hi,

I will be moving to HCMC next weekend and I am looking at taking out some basic health insurance to cover me. One of the best quotes seems to be from a company called Blue Cross Vietnam (based in HCMC) which is offering me cover for less than 250USD a year...

Has anybody used this company? Are they reputable?

Many thanks

My opinion of health insurance is that they're all a scam (in Việt Nam).  What you should do is wait until you get settled down.  Then go find the closest and best hospital to you.  Go ask what type of insurance they take.  It's still a cash system here.

Thanks for the advice Tran Hung Dao... I'm just worried that should an emergency happen I would not have any medical coverage.

I was qouted $250 per year with the company above... do you know this cost compares to insurance issued through the hospitals?

Xaviar84 wrote:

Thanks for the advice Tran Hung Dao... I'm just worried that should an emergency happen I would not have any medical coverage.

I was qouted $250 per year with the company above... do you know this cost compares to insurance issued through the hospitals?

Sure...but if an emergency does happen and your insurance doesn't cover the ER that you just went to, or makes you fill out a thousand forms in triplicates, authenticated, translated...etc, it doesn't do you any good and you're still out $250.

Appreciate the advice... I guess it makes more sense to go to a hospital when I arrive and check out their insurance packages..

My doctor accepts both Blue Cross Vietnam and Liberty Insurance. I was quoted $1200-$1500/year for these insurance companies, your rate of $250 seems low. Last year I bought insurance thru AIG Vietnam but I'm going to move to Liberty Insurance.