Real value of $2 bill in Vietnam

Just curious about the fuss over the $2 bill. Is there a market for them? Is it legal to sell them?

A $2US bill is generally considered "lucky money" and is given during Tet to everyone as a sign of affection.

They like to give them out during Tet. They think it is good luck. Just prior to last Tet I was driving about 30 minutes north of Bien Hoa and stop for a coffee in a little town and some guy offered me 100k vnd for every 2 dollar bill I had.

Parmyd wrote:

They like to give them out during Tet. They think it is good luck. Just prior to last Tet I was driving about 30 minutes north of Bien Hoa and stop for a coffee in a little town and some guy offered me 100k vnd for every 2 dollar bill I had.

At first I thought this was a post for what $2 Billion was worth now in VN these days, maybe that could be a topic for another day?
   Luckily they don't want $A  or $NZ $2 notes, ( in fact even the Banks don't want $NZ ), they dumped the $1 and $2 notes years ago. It was great, next morning after a good session at the pub, thinking you had pissed away all your hard earned cash the night before, but then all that shrapnel weighing down your pockets soon started adding up.

Parmyd wrote:

Wow, I have a stack of 100 brand new an another 30.  Need to find that person.

anyone know if Vietnamese consider $2 Canadian coins lucky?  Here's  a pic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … _front.png

Vietnamese only loves US Bills :D

mikeymyke wrote:

anyone know if Vietnamese consider $2 Canadian coins lucky?

Cdn bills was more popular than USD last year when I was in Vietnam. I exchanged at $1 Cdn for $22,000 Dong each. But that was only because Cdn was above par to the USD.

Guess I will have to bring a wad of $2 US bills than for Tet.

charmavietnam wrote:

Vietnamese only loves US Bills :D

mikeymyke wrote:

anyone know if Vietnamese consider $2 Canadian coins lucky?

Coins also are out of favor here.  I suppose you can make jewelry out of it though.  Why don't you bring some back here and have a jeweler punch a hole in it to make a necklace.  Then you can give it away as gifts and make up some "loonie" story about how it brings luck to people in Canada who wear it around their neck when they sleep during a full moon.

khanh44 wrote:

Cdn bills was more popular than USD last year when I was in Vietnam. I exchanged at $1 Cdn for $22,000 Dong each. But that was only because Cdn was above par to the USD.

Guess I will have to bring a wad of $2 US bills than for Tet.

Don't forget gold bullion.  Bring as much as you can get through customs (because the price here is higher than global prices).  You can melt that stuff and give away to your relatives.

ancientpathos wrote:
Parmyd wrote:

Last year, I had to ask my brother help me to exchange $200 of $2 note. My friends offered to buy each (50k/one). I didnt sell any as I had to save it for "lì-xì". Why? Yes, many people think $2 bill is lucky money (I dont honestly, to me, $100 is a "much more lucky" note :lol::lol::lol:). So, I gave $2 to anyone who believed in such lucky note. But it's only applied during Tết period. Otherwise, the$2 bill must have lower rate at the exchange boot (it is "tiền lẻ" - I dont know the English word), i.e.: the note $50, $100 gets higher rate (for example: 21,250 vnd) while $1, $2, $5, $10, $20 is lower the "normal rate" (such as: only 21,000vnd).

aibiet150204 wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:

Last year, I had to ask my brother help me to exchange $200 of $2 note. My friends offered to buy each (50k/one). I didnt sell any as I had to save it for "lì-xì". Why? Yes, many people think $2 bill is lucky money (I dont honestly, to me, $100 is a "much more lucky" note :lol::lol::lol:). So, I gave $2 to anyone who believed in such lucky note. But it's only applied during Tết period. Otherwise, the$2 bill must have lower rate at the exchange boot (it is "tiền lẻ" - I dont know the English word), i.e.: the note $50, $100 gets higher rate (for example: 21,250 vnd) while $1, $2, $5, $10, $20 is lower the "normal rate" (such as: only 21,000vnd).

The reason I have the $2 bills are because my government prints them yet no one uses them in the USA. I even had a teenager working at a taco bell tell 2 police officers there  to eat that I paid for my food with conterfeit money. They had a good laugh and share it with me. When in the US, my pocket money was always $2 bills, just my way of being different. Had to order them from my bank.

ancientpathos wrote:
aibiet150204 wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:

The reason I have the $2 bills are because my government prints them yet no one uses them in the USA. I even had a teenager working at a taco bell tell 2 police officers there  to eat that I paid for my food with conterfeit money. They had a good laugh and share it with me. When in the US, my pocket money was always $2 bills, just my way of being different. Had to order them from my bank.

That me reminds me when I went back To Aus in 99--2000,( after a 7 yr absence ),  I still had a heap of the old $A, ( they changed to the polymer notes in 1993 --96 )  , the look on the kids faces behind the shop counters, you would have thought I'd made the notes myself, and printed Australia on them.  Luckily they were still acceptable, but I had a couple of kids ask their Supervisors.