Moving to the states

hi everyone..I have decided to go over to the States, and wondering what my best option would be visa wise.
My partner is currently working in LA on an O1 visa.
I have done some research and seem to think that a student visa may be the best – or a Trainee visa? As a South African, what is my best option…

Would I be able to study online, and work in that certain field?

Steph
x

Hi Steph,

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

To get a student visa you first have to be accepted to a university. The university should also give you an advisor to help you with getting a visa. My friend from the KSA came to study and our university helped her get a work visa after graduation.

okay thank you, but i want to do online studies so i can work :)
x

stephnie wrote:

Would I be able to study online, and work in that certain field?

If you can work or not depends on your type of student visa:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-sta … employment

If you can study online or not will depend on if the allowed, accredited institution where you will be studying offers this option and it is an approved form of study sanctioned by the USCIS. You should contact your intended school for details.

It is extremely unlikely you are going to find a SEVIS approve school that will provide you with an I-20 to study 'online.' (refer to this site for a list http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search/) ICE/DHS approves select schools for the F-1 and J-1 visas and ICE strictly monitors them for compliance - and attendance is a requirement which would be very hard to monitor online.

It sounds like you want to work more than study - please take a look at this visa program - http://j1visa.state.gov/

I have to warn you though. There are a couple people who I have know that were on this type of visa and it was not what they expected - rigid schedule and strong oversight by the school.

Unlike other types of visas USCIS has very little to do with SEVIS, I-20s, F1 and J1 visas. ICE (Immigrations and Customs Enforcement is the regulating authority in this case.

thanks very much, ill do some research and see which online schools will help with a visa, and allow me to work... do you know any off hand i can contact?
x

hi, thank you for the info... i do want to study, but online, as ill need to work to make some sort of income? id like to do horse or vet studies.... ive heard a few horror stories with visa ect.. 
Steph
x

You need to refer to the list I gave you. I do not know of any schools that are approved for online study and I doubt you will find any.

Also be prepared to fork over a lot of money to get a F1 or J1 visa. When I worked for CBP the people getting these types of visas generally came from families that had a lot of money and normally were from countries that qualified for the VWP (as a tourist). That is not to say this was the case always - do not get me wrong or let me discourage you.

You need to prove financial means up front (large sum of money) which will determine the length of your I-20, which can be extended by the school month by month once you arrive. Generally speaking, they look for financial means of $2,800USD a month, in a bank account. So if you want an I-20 for 6 month, you will need to show a lump sum of money in a bank account or multiple accounts adding up to $16,800USD, not including tuition. This figure is an estimate. The school itself will tell you what you need.

wow.... thats alot of cash! i have gotten intouch with a lawyer, whom i HOPE will help me, as my partner is on an O1 in LA and im planing to go over in Feb...
ARG sounds really hard... and i hope i get this right!

x

stephnie wrote:

id like to do horse or vet studies....

Limited spaces available for students in veterinary sciences in the US. Ironically, a lot of US citizens study abroad to become a vet.

Veterinary technician has more options: list of schools in California:

https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDevelo … california