New regulations regarding motorbike registrations.

I received a "Breaking news" text message the other day stating that starting on the first of the year there will be new regulations on driving a motorbike that is not in your name. I know they tried this awhile back but the Viets went nuts about it.

Does anyone know what type of paperwork you will be required to carry if you are "borrowing" a motorbike? Also, I was reading about a month ago on one of the Viet English news websites that foreigners that are here for less than 90 days are allowed to use their Driver's license or International license now.

Parmyd wrote:

I received a "Breaking news" text message the other day stating that starting on the first of the year there will be new regulations on driving a motorbike that is not in your name. I know they tried this awhile back but the Viets went nuts about it.

Does anyone know what type of paperwork you will be required to carry if you are "borrowing" a motorbike? Also, I was reading about a month ago on one of the Viet English news websites that foreigners that are here for less than 90 days are allowed to use their Driver's license or International license now.

Are you sure you didn't read the news about foreign CAR/VEHICLE  being allowed in the country for less than 30 days?  Can you find the source where you read it?  Google is having a hard time turning up anything you said about the international driver's permit.

http://www.vietnambreakingnews.com/2013 … n-vietnam/

CSGT checks for three things if you get pulled over while riding a motorbike:

1) VN Driver's license
2) Blue card owners registration
3) Motorbike Insurance

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Are you sure you didn't read the news about foreign CAR/VEHICLE  being allowed in the country for less than 30 days?  Can you find the source where you read it?  Google is having a hard time turning up anything you said about the international driver's permit.

http://www.vietnambreakingnews.com/2013 … n-vietnam/

CSGT checks for three things if you get pulled over while riding a motorbike:

1) VN Driver's license
2) Blue card owners registration
3) Motorbike Insurance

I read that also, I found a link to the article but as you know google translate is not very good at translating large amounts.

http://tinngan.vn/Xe-khong-chinh-chu-se … 35300.html

That would be crazy. Lots of Vietnamese families easily grab each other's motorbike if they need to run errands. So I'd be fined $100,000 Dong if I ride my wife's bike?

Hey Parmy just curious where did you translate and get your motorbike license in Vietnam. Just 7 more weeks until I land in Vietnam.

Parmyd wrote:

Not this year! Next year! 1/1/2015

Is that possible to enforce that kind of law?:D

charmavietnam wrote:

Mission impossible :lol::lol::lol:

charmavietnam wrote:

Live in a small country town, no problems, they know I don't speak VN, so when they have a whinge about something I'm doing/done wrong, they just call my wife, here's a list to date,  dog is not allowed on the front of bike, ( between the handlebars and seat, this is reserved for babies and helmetless small children ), dog must go on the back, next , dog must go in a cage on the back, then, xe moc, ( motorbike trailer ), apparently only for locals, not Foreigners?????? and mine is made of steel, not wood, also it is connected via a towbar, not held by rear passenger.

If it they make possible how do you ride moto? :D

aibiet150204 wrote:

Another way to help corrupt officials :D

charmavietnam wrote:

Another way to help corrupt officials :D

They don't need anymore help.

Yeah, they are well educated in that way :D

bluenz wrote:

They don't need anymore help.

Parmyd wrote:

I read that also, I found a link to the article but as you know google translate is not very good at translating large amounts.

Good source.  Well, this will be interesting...the last paragraph reads:

Như vậy, từ ngày 1/1/2014, khi Nghị định này có hiệu lực, khoảng 15 triệu xe máy sẽ đứng trước nguy cơ phải nộp phạt.
Thus, from the date of 01/01/2014, the effective date of this Decree, about 15 million motorcycles will be at risk of fines.

So fret not...you're in good company with around 15 million other drivers who do not have their name matching their owner's registration.  Probably going to see more people running from the cops on high speed chases.

I actually witnessed one...was quite a dramatic scene.  Two CSGTs chasing 2 guys fleeing them.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
Parmyd wrote:

Good source.  Well, this will be interesting...the last paragraph reads:

Như vậy, từ ngày 1/1/2014, khi Nghị định này có hiệu lực, khoảng 15 triệu xe máy sẽ đứng trước nguy cơ phải nộp phạt.
Thus, from the date of 01/01/2014, the effective date of this Decree, about 15 million motorcycles will be at risk of fines.

So fret not...you're in good company with around 15 million other drivers who do not have their name matching their owner's registration.  Probably going to see more people running from the cops on high speed chases.

I actually witnessed one...was quite a dramatic scene.  Two CSGTs chasing 2 guys fleeing them.

Don't they use fishing nets these days to catch speedsters?

bluenz wrote:

Yah, they did that in Đà Nẵng and I think Hải Phòng is going to mass produce those net guns.  They're aimed at stopping the drag racing.

There's an inherent problem with how the CSGT (Highway Patrol) conducts its business; They use static checkpoints.  Whereas, the West uses dynamic enforcement (will chase you or pull you over while you are driving with lights and sirens), radios and roadblocks ahead of the route.  CSGT's will stay in one place...so anyone who wants to, can just speed past them.  It takes maybe 10 seconds for the surprised cop to get back on his motorcycle to give chase, if he really is pissed off.  By that time, the perp has sped off several hundred meters already. 

Add to this problem is the Big Engine Bike Lobby is hitting the  Ministry of Transport to expanding the A2 license (above 175 cc).  Ok, let's give young rich punks bigger engine bikes so they can outrun the CSGT cops.

uhm I know Toronto and New York and there's probably more where police won't chase motorcycles if they speed off due to possible death and a lawsuit.

In Calgary there's a helicopter constantly in the sky so you're better to conserve fuel and stop.

cơ phải nộp phạt

Hmm, must submit fine. I wonder why not "Bi phat" as in "bi phat tien'?

But again, thanks for that THD.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Yah, they did that in Đà Nẵng and I think Hải Phòng is going to mass produce those net guns.  They're aimed at stopping the drag racing.

There's an inherent problem with how the CSGT (Highway Patrol) conducts its business; They use static checkpoints.  Whereas, the West uses dynamic enforcement (will chase you or pull you over while you are driving with lights and sirens), radios and roadblocks ahead of the route.  CSGT's will stay in one place...so anyone who wants to, can just speed past them.  It takes maybe 10 seconds for the surprised cop to get back on his motorcycle to give chase, if he really is pissed off.  By that time, the perp has sped off several hundred meters already. 

Add to this problem is the Big Engine Bike Lobby is hitting the  Ministry of Transport to expanding the A2 license (above 175 cc).  Ok, let's give young rich punks bigger engine bikes so they can outrun the CSGT cops.

What makes me laugh is that there are always 2 cops on the cop bikes, ( usually at least one fat one ), so a 250cc cop bike will probably only have as much power as a 125cc, with only 1 person on it, and less handling ability. And modern sports 125cc, ( not these kids toys they sell here ), have as much power as an ordinary 500cc bike.  I had a Kwaka 350/3, 2 stroke, many yrs ago, ( when I was 15 yrs old ), and I could keep up with a Triumph 750, ( it was fairly new,, only to 100mph though ).

charmavietnam wrote:

If it they make possible how do you ride moto? :D

aibiet150204 wrote:

When they tried this earlier this year there was a provision that if you had paperwork signed by the owner giving you permission to ride the bike you were ok. I don't know if that same provision is included in this new law.

khanh44 wrote:

Hey Parmy just curious where did you translate and get your motorbike license in Vietnam. Just 7 more weeks until I land in Vietnam.

I went to the Drivers license place in Saigon with a Viet Kieu and he did all the talking. We had to go somewhere else to get it translated and then brought it back to them. It took about a week to get my Viet license. I am not too familiar with Saigon so I don't know exactly where it is. On a side note they screwed up my Viet license and gave me one without an expiration date.

Parmyd wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

I went to the Drivers license place in Saigon with a Viet Kieu and he did all the talking. We had to go somewhere else to get it translated and then brought it back to them. It took about a week to get my Viet license. I am not too familiar with Saigon so I don't know exactly where it is. On a side note they screwed up my Viet license and gave me one without an expiration date.

Did you change your licence over , or actually apply for a new licence?, when I changed my OZ car licence over, ( and supposedly my Semi licence, but they didn't include that class, or my SURNAME, or the fact that I am a NZ citizen, not OZ ), it has the Oz expiry date on it, but when I sat my M/C licence, ( lost mine many years ago, never bothered renewing it, but still rode big bikes in all those 30 yrs ), the VN licence has no expiry date.

I changed my license over so it was suppose to expire when my visa exemption expired but they ended up putting no expiration date on it.

Parmyd wrote:

I changed my license over so it was suppose to expire when my visa exemption expired but they ended up putting no expiration date on it.

I have a 5yr Visa Exemption, but they still only put on my VN M/c Licence, Expires :Khong Thoi han. ( never expires, ( same as the NZ licence used to be, but now 10yrs, in Oz only 5yrs ),  My car licence, ( changed from Oz, expires in 2015 ).

Parmyd wrote:

All VN driver licenses now have no expiry date. I just got mine last week. No expiry date.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

There's an inherent problem with how the CSGT (Highway Patrol) conducts its business; They use static checkpoints.

The first time I was ever pulled over, it was by the CSGT coming along beside me as we were riding along and tapping my shoulder, motioning for me to pull over. So this CAN be enforced very easily if they want to do it, because foreigners on motorbikes are easy to spot, and if the motorbike doesn't have "NN" plates...Easy money. I'm inclined to think that as long as you have the paper signed by the registered owner showing you have "permission" to use the bike, you will be OK. I've only got my blue card in my wallet, and the paper signed by the owner is at home in a drawer. Guess I'll have to put it back in the bike sometime. But that's my second, ride in the rain, "beater" bike anyway. My good bike is all mine, with NN plates. :D

Thanks Parmy. I was just curious if there's a Viet license place in Bien Hoa but probably not. The Saigon one I know about and I think Expat.com has a precise guide on acquiring a motorbike license in Saigon.

Parmyd wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

khanh44 wrote:

Thanks Parmy. I was just curious if there's a Viet license place in Bien Hoa but probably not.

There is one in Bien Hoa but it was recommended to go to Saigon and use a Saigon address because they are use to foreigner's getting a drivers license there.

lirelou wrote:

cơ phải nộp phạt

Hmm, must submit fine. I wonder why not "Bi phat" as in "bi phat tien'?

But again, thanks for that THD.

Because I think the sentence talks about all the 15 million motorbikes that don't have current owner's registration so they're at risk/possible of getting fine.  Not already fined.  I think "bị phạt" means the act of getting fined.  So you are at risk first...if caught, then you are fined.

Parmyd wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

Probably easier if khanh44 gets it in Đồng Nai Province (his wife can help him). 

In fact, each province has a "DMV", so if you got money to burn, you can go "collect cards" and get all 63 copies (maybe not in the 5 Federal cities since they're pretty up on technology) by applying at each Province.  :unsure

khanh44 wrote:

Thanks Parmy. I was just curious if there's a Viet license place in Bien Hoa but probably not. The Saigon one I know about and I think Expat.com has a precise guide on acquiring a motorbike license in Saigon.

Parmyd wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

Every Province has a CSGT and "DMV".  Đồng Nai has one..somewhere.  When you get here, link up with me and we'll go find it.  I often hang out in Đồng Nai Province.

Parmyd wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

Thanks Parmy. I was just curious if there's a Viet license place in Bien Hoa but probably not.

There is one in Bien Hoa but it was recommended to go to Saigon and use a Saigon address because they are use to foreigner's getting a drivers license there.

Đồng Nai and Bà Rịa - Vũng Tàu (BRVT) Provinces also have many foreigners due to the many industrial centers in Đồng Nai and the oil industry in BRVT.  I got my licenses in BRVT.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

[Đồng Nai and Bà Rịa - Vũng Tàu (BRVT) Provinces also have many foreigners due to the many industrial centers in Đồng Nai and the oil industry in BRVT.  I got my licenses in BRVT.

Dong Nai has very few foreigners that actually live there. Most of the Korean, Japanese, and Germans that are working for the factories tend to live in Saigon and are taken by car or bus back and forth every day. While you can most definitely get your license converted in Dong Nai it is much easier to get it done in Saigon because the Dong Nai officials at the DMV just don't get that many and are very confused as to the requirements.

I agree with Parmy. It's like getting my moped registered in Canada. What's just a 5 minute formality turns into a 2 hour adventure since the registrators don't know all the exceptions. No I don't need a Used Vehicle Information Package and it's a moped I don't need safety standards cert or emission test. They don't believe me so they research it themselves.