Lending Money

Don't.

A lot of people here think we have lượng falling out of our pockets and we can lend 20 or 100 triều and never miss it.  People I've barely met try to borrow amounts that I wouldn't lend to an employed friend in the USA, and act weird when I won't do it.

Friend of mine is a white NNN like me, wants his GF to get a job ... if her coworkers see she has a foreign BF, it's one loan request after another.  He tries not to appear at her interviews or jobs.

We will lend to people with the means to pay back, on some schedule, even if it's extended.  But those random requests ... No.

Same friend's GF has a tape loop in her head with one word in punched tape: family.   She was always asking for money, large amounts, to give to them, not just P&M but friends of distant cousins for really frivolous reasons.  He gives them a monthly stipend of ten mil and even then has to do it in installments or they'll burn through it and want more.  Mom has some benign liver tumor and would rather waste money on hospital visits and pain meds (dope) than get it fixed.  Never a thank you, and the poor girl gets four or more calls a day demanding more.  Family's trained her to feel obligated. 

My friend in Saigon gives his GF's family a staggering 30 mil a month, non-negotiable, and he doesn't have a job anymore.  This is atop a lavish life going out to eat at fancy places (we go bình dân) and a rental in D1 so he is burning through his savings to the tune of $2500 a month.  What he gives her idle family in a month would last most people here a year.

We've had a few people borrow and vanish, that's the pattern.  Also had others scrupulously pay back on time, not suggesting the whole country is a scam.

Be very wary about lending.

I posted this on Tran Hung Dao's "Scams R Us" thread:

saigonmonkey wrote:

I have never lent anyone here any money, and I never will. I HAVE, however, GIVEN some locals I know lots of money over the years - not because I'm a sucker, but because I wanted to, and thought they legitimately needed it. I too laugh (not out loud, but to myself) when I hear the "my mother/father/little brother/little sister/grandmother is sick and needs an operation" story. I've had several locals I know ask me if they can "borrow" some money. My answer to them is NO...But I will consider GIVING you some money. All of us who are more fortunate must realize that a local with a job that pays only $150-200/month is NEVER going to be able to repay a loan of more than about 500,000 dong. And I'm not the kind of person who enjoys "tracking" the status of loan repayments. After all, I'm not a freaking bank! Therefore, it's easier to just GIVE. (OR NOT)

Full agreement.  No, I won't loan you money, but I will give it to you.

Not 20 mil, though.

I didn't see the other thread, or I would've posted there.

Friend of mine in USA is quite poor, has been on the street before, has a "boyfriend" in Saigon he wires money to.  Buys him a motorbike, he sells it.  Buys him a cell phone (iPhone, not Nokia) and he "loses" it and needs another.  Glasses for his nephew are $400.

Then I move here, now I know what things really cost.  Glasses are $10. 

We carry a laptop over here for him.  No thank you to either of us, then he sells it.

I'm guessing this guy is doing the same with several other gay foreigners who all think they have a lover in VN, when what they have is a pen pal.

Oh, and when we met, the guy was wearing those bs designer clothes.

Lives of quiet desperation.  They've only met once, like 8 years ago.

Friend's gf's mom refuses surgery, claims fear (I've had abdominal surgery here), but every few weeks demands to be taken to the hospital. Just to get the pills.  No money to pay for it, just hit up daughter's "rich" foreign BF.  And since she's "bà," everyone scrambles.  Why not just go to the nhá thuốc?  No.  Take her to the hospital so she can refuse treatment.

Yeah, that makes sense.

A few times I've been offered sex if I'll do the loan.  Usually by guys I'm not at all attracted to, but not always. 

That's time to part company.

In Thailand, I would get asked to sponsor by giving them money.  I always laugh to myself about sponsorship. None of these young lady's requesting sponsorship really needed it.

I have made presents of 500,000 to 2 million to women or their familes. Given money or food to the old, disabled or children. Helping people truely in need I am ok with. My livein GF's have always recieved an allowance from me. My current GF, I give her 4 million on the 1st and 15th. Some she saves, some goes to mother. I feel better about the allowance and have even been known to give severance when the relationship is done. Would I ever loan her money? No.... Maybe give or buy her something extra.

i wonder how they spend all the 10mil in one month there. :))
even when i was living in Can Thơ, 2,5 mil is more than enough.

Lending money is somewhat 'take the snake from fence and wear it on your neck' :D

cang_nduc wrote:

i wonder how they spend all the 10mil in one month there. :))
even when i was living in Can Thơ, 2,5 mil is more than enough.

You were living in a nhà trợ, right?

As a company, 100% fully owned, can I borrow money?

What is the interest rate?

@Delafon.

You have posted on an old inactive thread. I suggest you open a new thread.

DELAFON wrote:

As a company, 100% fully owned, can I borrow money?

What is the interest rate?

You can as long as you  secure the loan with something like land or a car