Buying, Building or Renting

ScriptShack :

The original post was made back in 2013 so this is just in case someone comes across this thread using the search function.
The Vietnamese Government have made it easier in the last couple of years for 'foreigners' to buy land/property.
That said, depending on the exact location, it can still be fraught with danger.
The local interpretation of 'freehold' is that you own the land or the land a property is built on for 50 years (so in reality it is actually 'leasehold') with the "possibility" to extend that for another 50 years.
It is still a much simpler process for a Vietnamese to buy a property or land (and cheaper too) but you have to remember at all times that at the end of the day, the Government owns the land and regardless of what legal contract is drawn up, they can still buy that land back.
They do compensate you for land they buy but their market value will be much less than your own value given they won't usually offer compensation for any building on that land.

We bought a house on a private estate  (Q9)  last year and the security of tenure is "Indefinite", meaning not limited to 50 + 50  years. It is just about certain (well, as certain as anything is certain here) that the tenure will not be less than 50 / 50, because the land here is earmarked for private dwellings and other areas locally are earmarked for commercial development.

There will be a lot of crying in Q2 fairly soon when the government start to implement their plans for moving government buildings to Q2 from Q1, although a lot of the ground clearance has already been done.

You are very lucky to get an indefinite tenure!
Some friends I know in my local area around the Tay Ho/West Lake area (and my landlady) who have bought property and have now had their land re-classified for commercial development as there are plans to redevelop the whole West Lake area into tower blocks :(

Questions and answers about housing

Ask your question
Looking for apartment in HCM, district 7, Phu My Hung
By DeniseWong
Looking for a house or apartment
By takataka
Jamie Wang
Looking for a shared apartment in D2
By Jamie Wang
By ozbaz

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Vietnam

Flights to Vietnam

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Vietnam