Any Interest in a Eng/Viet Exchange Roundtable in Dist3

Hi all,

Does anyone in the expat-blog HCMC community have interest in joining an English/Vietnamese language exchange roundtable?

I'm thinking about organizing a monthly 1-2hr get-together with the intent on practicing and exchanging these two languages.

Since there will be a range in language abilities (chances are there will be more Vietnamese who speak English at a higher lever than the opposite), I may divide up the group by skill level.

I'd pick a topic for everyone to think about in advance, and we'd come and talk to different people about it. For example: If the topic were "places I like to travel," then you'd come prepared to talk about travel.

One requirement would be some knowledge of the language. Coming in with zero knowledge of either language would turn it into an English/Vietnamese class, and that's not my vision for this.

I want people who already have an ability to hold a basic conversation in the language that they're learning.

I also want people who are serious about learning the language. I don't want people using this as a chance to hook up with others. Everyone should be talking with everyone (i.e. networking), not scouting out who the cutest guy/girl is in the room! Don't be 'that' creeper.

This is a free-flowing idea that could take multiple forms as it's rolled out. Open to your suggestions.

TP

turbopaved wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone in the expat-blog HCMC community have interest in joining an English/Vietnamese language exchange roundtable?

I'm thinking about organizing a monthly 1-2hr get-together with the intent on practicing and exchanging these two languages.

Since there will be a range in language abilities (chances are there will be more Vietnamese who speak English at a higher lever than the opposite), I may divide up the group by skill level.

I'd pick a topic for everyone to think about in advance, and we'd come and talk to different people about it. For example: If the topic were "places I like to travel," then you'd come prepared to talk about travel.

One requirement would be some knowledge of the language. Coming in with zero knowledge of either language would turn it into an English/Vietnamese class, and that's not my vision for this.

I want people who already have an ability to hold a basic conversation in the language that they're learning.

I also want people who are serious about learning the language. I don't want people using this as a chance to hook up with others. Everyone should be talking with everyone (i.e. networking), not scouting out who the cutest guy/girl is in the room! Don't be 'that' creeper.

This is a free-flowing idea that could take multiple forms as it's rolled out. Open to your suggestions.

TP

It's called an English club...many are already ongoing.  You probably have one close to you but if you want to start one, by all means, go for it.  Usually meet at a coffee shop.

When I first came, I went to one just meet girls but since I now live so far away, I don't get to do that.  Most girls without boyfriends go to these to meet foreign guys too (to practice English of course).  Only eligible foreign guys go to these language exchanges/clubs because if they already have a girlfriend, the girlfriend will teach them.  And if the girlfriend finds out that her foreign man goes to these clubs where there are single girls...she gets very jealous....so the theory goes.  Oops I said too much.  :D  So ignore this second paragraph and just go read the first paragraph.  Why are you trying to read through the crossed-out text? Hmmm?

Thanks for the input. I heard about the English clubs, but I thought those were only for Vietnamese who wanted to improve their English, and not the other way around.

I'll check one out to see what they're like. If they're not what I'm looking for, I'll attempt to create my own.

turbopaved wrote:

Thanks for the input. I heard about the English clubs, but I thought those were only for Vietnamese who wanted to improve their English, and not the other way around.

I'll check one out to see what they're like. If they're not what I'm looking for, I'll attempt to create my own.

I've seen many one-on-one language exchanges because both parties benefit, but mostly set up by single college girls.  Since you're married...probably best to link up with local young Vietnamese men who play soccer/sports.  They will invite you out to coffee and you can practice Vietnamese with them. 

I don't think anyone will sit down with a married man and teach him Vietnamese for free.  I've been here too long to see the angles so I tell it like I see it.

I dig it, thanks for the honesty. I figured being married might make me a tad less interesting as an expat. My wife doesn't believe me, though.

My aim for the exchange was to create a mutually beneficial experience, thus "free" wouldn't come into play. I'm certainly not asking anyone to teach me Viet for free. I'll look at paying for actual classes once I land a job. Right now, acclimating to the Southern accent is my goal, and I figured that it's best done through conversation practice.

turbopaved wrote:

I dig it, thanks for the honesty. I figured being married might make me a tad less interesting as an expat. My wife doesn't believe me, though.

My aim for the exchange was to create a mutually beneficial experience, thus "free" wouldn't come into play. I'm certainly not asking anyone to teach me Viet for free. I'll look at paying for actual classes once I land a job. Right now, acclimating to the Southern accent is my goal, and I figured that it's best done through conversation practice.

Exactly.  I've been doing it for about three years now.  I didn't go to any classes...just brought a pocket dictionary along with me.  I still keep in the "trunk" of my motorbike.  So when I see a word I'm not familiar with, I'd look it up to understand what is being said.  But I try not to associate the object with its English word.  Instead I'd try to visualize the object and its association with the Vietnamese word. 

Like...ask a person at the chợ what this is:

http://cafef.vcmedia.vn/thumb_w/252/Images/Uploaded/Share/30c32d22bfd449364eec8c6eae60e522/2013/09/07/chom-chom/loi-nhuan-cao-nho-xuat-khau-chom-chom-trai-vu.jpg

It has an English name but don't associate it with that picture/or what you see at the market.  Ask the lady and keep repeating the Vietnamese word to force your brain to associate it with that object.

trái chôm chôm (southern)
qủa chôm chôm (northern)

This is the method used by the Rosetta Stone Language series...and how babies learn a language.

You can pick up alot of Vietnamese from going to the market.  Just learn the phrase "what is this?" (cái gì đây?) and go hog wild learning a new language.

The merchants will giggle but as long as you buy something from them and are friendly with them, the next time you go back, they won't add the "foreign premium" to stuff they sell you.

good idea men ... totally agree

It's sound great. when do you start your plan turbopaved?

I d like to join if u insist on having a group like that. Keep me posted - 0988 611 256. Thank you

Hi all,

Thank you for your interest! Here is information about our first language exchange meeting.

Date: Saturday, December 7
Time: 8:00 AM to 9:30 AM
Address: 399 Vo Van Tan, Quan 3, Ho Chi Minh City

Our first topic for you to prepare: "Introduce yourself (in Eng/Viet)"

Guidance:
* EVERYONE TALKS, I will moderate the discussion so everyone can have a turn to speak
* Bring a notebook to write new words
* Speak slowly, enunciate every word so that other people can understand (pretend you are speaking to a child)
* Speak loudly so everyone can hear you
* Prepare your topic in advance, come to the meeting with something you want to say
* Mistakes are good! Mistakes means that you're learning. Don't be afraid to make a mistake when you speak English/Vietnamese. We will support each other and learn together.

Will see you there.

Friendly reminder:

This is not a class. This is not private tutoring. This is a chance to practice speaking with a group of people.

If you want to practice Vietnamese, then you should come knowing the basics of speaking, reading, and writing. You should have already taken some classes in Vietnamese. If you can't introduce yourself in Vietnamese (my name is..., I'm __ years old, I'm from...), then this is not the club for you. Take a few classes first, then come practice with us. You have to know more than "em dep gai."

If you want to practice English, then chances are that you've been studying English since you started school...so you're good. But you still need to know your material. If you're stuck on elementary school English material, then study more before joining this group.

Is there any chance that the meeting will be regularly hold on Sunday? I have to work on Saturday.
Thank guys

I'm going to try a Sat morning first, and most likely change it to another day once I get a few more opinions on when it's best to hold it.

Wait for your good news

Nice to meet you all there.

turbopaved wrote:

I'm going to try a Sat morning first, and most likely change it to another day once I get a few more opinions on when it's best to hold it.

The work week in Vietnam is still M-F all day + Saturday Mornings for most private office workers.  Government workers get the weekends off.  Factory workers work six days with Sundays off but because the incentive for overtime is too great, they end up working Sundays too.  Generally speaking, Sundays are a good time off for everybody during the day.

Nights are a good time as well, between 7PM and 9PM.  Most of the rush hour traffic is usually between 4PM and 6PM.  So give your members an hour to eat dinner and get to the club.

sound like this is an exited club.see you all there everyone.

Lucky me, i'm getting homesick and hardly find anyone to hang out w in this city. Hope that i will be having fun tomorrow.

Still meeting at 8am at the Bean Store.

Turns out that that the store opens at 9am. I'll wait at the front for people to arrive before I change the location.

At around 815a, we will look for a nearby cafe on or near (walking distance) Vo Van Tan.

Sorry for this mixup, I thought the bean store facebook page said it was open at 8am. Will plan better next time.

I still go to work today. >"<. Hope you have fun !!!

The first meeting went very well. I had people introduce themselves, and then people gave feedback (2 compliments, 2 corrections). That means people had to actively listen, pay attention, and take notes while others talked.

I got to practice Vietnamese and get helpful corrections.

Four Vietnamese attended. One non-Vietnamese attended (that's me).

Expats studying Vietnamese, we need you here! There's plenty of opportunity for you to practice Vietnamese and get helpful feedback that you can't get by just walking the streets.

Details on the next meeting to come. I will hold it on a Sunday afternoon/evening so more people can attend.

TP

it was interesting and helpful.hope more more people come and have good time together.

turbopaved wrote:

Still meeting at 8am at the Bean Store.

Turns out that that the store opens at 9am. I'll wait at the front for people to arrive before I change the location.

At around 815a, we will look for a nearby cafe on or near (walking distance) Vo Van Tan.

Sorry for this mixup, I thought the bean store facebook page said it was open at 8am. Will plan better next time.

It's not big problem. We could handle it easily.
I think the most important thing that we learnt something from the meeting. Learn a little bit every day will make one better. I hope everybody understand it and join with us.

Hi. It's very great if can see all people in the language exchange again. Would you like to join with me?

Name: Acoustic
Location: 6E1 Ngô Thời Nhiệm, Ward 7, District 3,Hồ Chí Minh City.
Time: 7:30pm - 8:45pm (make aquaintance); 8:45pm --- (music enjoy)
Date: Thursday, 12 December 2013 (Tomorrow night)
Bar's Phone: (08) 39302239
My tel: 0121 7722 155

Thank you
Hanh

You guys may like to have your gathering at Marry You Coffee @ 290/52 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia P8 Q3. It opens from 8am to 10pm daily.

I will let you use the private room for free if the group size is at least 8 and each participant orders a drink. The room can take up to 15 people.

I am an expatriate business lecturer in HCMC and support English/Vietnamese exchange activities.

If you are interested, you can come by and take a look. Contact me at 0909649054.

Regards
Daniel HO

What about topic of cultural things between Vietnam and Western/America? Attenders can exchange language as well as culture. I think it would help Vietnamese people broaden their knowledge of other countries and the expats learn about Vietnamese when living here.

Could I join with your group? Thank for your reply in advance.

Hi all,

Happy New Year! January came very fast, and I'm thinking about restarting the Viet/Eng language roundtable.

I've received a number of requests from Vietnamese to come and practice English (thank you!), but I've received NO responses from expats wanting to come and learn Vietnamese.

Unless Vietnamese are ok with practice English with other Vietnamese, I'm going to have to cap the attendance limit to only 3-4 people. If I open it up to everyone and I'm the only foreigner, then it becomes an English class and I don't much time to practice Vietnamese. That's not the purpose of this roundtable.

So, before I restart this roundtable, my question is: Are Vietnamese comfortable and willing to practice English with other Vietnamese?

I know the preferred option is to practice with non-Viets...but I can't seem to find any who also want to practice Vietnamese.

If the answer is "yes," then I can open this up to more people. If the answer is "no," then I have to cap it until I can find more non-Viets who want to practice Vietnamese.

Thoughts?

I wanna join, i'm living in D1.

Hi All,

I am interested in meeting the group for vietnamese language learning. I am non vietnamese speaking, english, cantonese, and malay. I am semi retired have put my work and business aside for travelling and relaxing time starting with HCM city. Let me know what is next meeting and will try to come by.

ciao'
danny

Hi Turbopaved,
I think we should cooperate with some school teaching Vietnamese for foreigners to organize your club. You will have a lot of non-Vietnamese participants who are learning Vietnamese and want to practice while the schools get benefits from this activity when they provide their expat students with the chances to communicate with Vietnamese people.