Working Visa Question

Hi guys,

I finally got my passport with Visa stamped early this morning. It's for an employment purpose. But i have questions about it and you guys might know the answer.

In my visa stamp, it says that its valid only for Malta and its a Visa Type D. Does it mean that I cant go to other Schengen country?

Yes , I think is only for Malta,
When you will get the Malta resident permit you can go in the other schengen  country.
All the best and good luck

I heard that it will take some time before resident permit is release. Does it mean that I cant travel to other schengen country while it's resident permit is in the process?

Will be not possible , I think, if you don't get a other schengen visa.
Ciao

Can of worms opening here :-)
I would suggest that the answer is no for any long stay or work but may be yes for transit purposes.

I found this, which is confusing in itself as it refers to a National Visa for residence purposes on Malta.

Long stay or "national" visas, which are only valid for visits that are longer than 90 days (Type D), with one or more entries, in the territory of the Schengen State whose diplomatic representative issued the visa, and to transit through the territory of other Schengen States for a period of not more than five days.
Regulations on stays exceeding 90 days fall within the competence of Malta's national authorities and third-country nationals requesting to enter Malta with a purpose of a long stay, will at first be granted a “national” visa in order to receive a residence permit.

http://www.foreign.gov.mt/Default.aspx?MDIS=534

I also found that a 'Schengenwide' visa does not guarantee entry into other Schengen countries as entry is at the discretion of immigration officials of the individual countries.

Hi quietnagger,

I'm very sorry about the catastrophy that hit the Philippines with typhoon Haiwan and hope that help for the affected population gets organized very soon.

As already stated visa typr D is for a stay of more than 90 days in the issuing country only but includes a one-time transit through other Schengen countries to ge there if necessary.

With a visa for work purposes you have a work contract and work permit.

If so , you will have to apply for residency and then you can travel within the EU. Until then you will have to stay in Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for the reply guys and thanks for the sympathy Ricky.

But what if I have a multiple entry visa and then I go to another country (not Schengen). Is that okay? Or I really need to wait for the residency permit before going out of Malta?

Hi quietnagger,

Visa type D is a long-stay visa for one EU country as a main destination. Under the new visa code from 2010 it should allow short stays of up to 90 days within 180 days in another member state too. The long-stay visa D can be valid for up to 1 year and should also replace the necessity to apply for a residence permit.

That is EU law but but I'm not sure whether Malta will ask for a work permit and e-residency?  Germany would not but we are talking about Malta -)))

For multiple entries you will have to check the conditions and limits given with the visa.

For the question about work permit requirement or not in your case you should go to the ETC and ask.

Cheers
Ricky

quietnagger wrote:

Hi guys,

I finally got my passport with Visa stamped early this morning. It's for an employment purpose. But i have questions about it and you guys might know the answer.

In my visa stamp, it says that its valid only for Malta and its a Visa Type D. Does it mean that I cant go to other Schengen country?

You can go to any Schengen country once you get the entry stamp at the airport.(Malta airport)
Maaari ka ring lumipad out sa susunod minutong matapos na ngunit sa Schengen teritory lamang.
Residence pamamaraan ay maaaring maging mahaba at hindi mo na kailangang manatili sa Malta na nakulong.
You are free to move around but only in the schengen countries for example: Italy,Cyprus,Greece etc. and not to UK,Romania,Bulgaria etc.
Lang i-print ang listahan Schengen bansa mula sa Wikipedia.

Maligayang pagdating sa Malta :):):)

Hi pare,

Can you please post in English only on this anglophone forum?

Thank you :)

Priscilla
Expat.com team

redmik wrote:

I also found that a 'Schengenwide' visa does not guarantee entry into other Schengen countries as entry is at the discretion of immigration officials of the individual countries.

how are they able to prevent people from crossing land borders to other countries given that there is no border control in most places on the "mainland"?

ECS wrote:

how are they able to prevent people from crossing land borders to other countries given that there is no border control in most places on the "mainland"?

I have no idea. I was just posting what I found. Airports maybe?

Airlines asking a valid EU passport or ID to be able to travel.

Priscilla wrote:

Hi pare,

Can you please post in English only on this anglophone forum?

Thank you :)

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Sorry!!!!!!!!!
Just helping out a fellow Kabayan(means filipino)

You can go to any Schengen country once you get the entry stamp at the airport. (Malta airport)
You can also fly out the next minute after that but in the Schengen territory only.

Residence procedure can be long and you do not have to stay trapped in Malta. But you got to be present for the procedures.

You are free to move around but only in the Schengen countries for example: Italy, Greece etc.. and not to the UK, Romania, Bulgaria etc..
Just print the Schengen countries list from Wikipedia.

Welcome to Malta :):):)

hi pare,

but my visa said that its only valid for Malta. Not sure if its just because of the employment purpose, or the travel around schengen area also applies.

quietnagger wrote:

hi pare,

but my visa said that its only valid for Malta. Not sure if its just because of the employment purpose, or the travel around schengen area also applies.

OK, just imagine that someone is issued an emplyment visa to work in the Phillipines and he/she lands in Manilla. Now is he/she allowed to visit Cebu or davao while the paperwork is under process? Yes. Because its all just one territory without borders.

So the Schengen territory acts like one big country without borders and the Passport control has been removed for each other.

Now, your file will always remain in Malta and all the paperwork insurance, cards and all and all will be always from Malta.

I would post in tagalog but its not allowed here.

Salamat :):):)

P.S. Maaari mo PM sa akin kung kailangan mo ng karagdagang paglilinaw

pare wrote:
quietnagger wrote:

hi pare,

So the Schengen territory acts like one big country without borders and the Passport control has been removed for each other.

Thanks Mr. Pare,
Your byline clears up lot of confusion.
I believe the original purpose of the Schengen treaty is to make all as one big country.