UK licence - what can I do?

Hi all,

I have read the many posts on the forum and the link as to getting by on an international licence, this info is great, however, I don't have the time I only have 2 days.

I am currently in Saudi in a hire 4x4 my company has hired for me to drive whilst I await my new company vehicle.  I am in saudi on a 6 business visa - not residence visa. I intend to go to bahrain on Wed evening for 4 nights, after speaking with our saudi guys in the office I am not allowed to take my hire car over the causeway. My company want me to do it but the hire company say no as I have no international licence only UK licence.

Question, am I allowed to drive a Saudi company vehicle in Bahrain. My colleague lives in Bahrain and says I can use his car for 4 days and he will use his wife's. would this be allowed on a uk licence not international licence. His car is insured through the company although registered in Saudi.?

Maybe I'm breaking the law in Saudi????

Paul

Can I hire a car in Bahrain?

Hi

Yes you can easily hire a car in Bahrain on only a UK licence.

If you have your Iqama you MUST get a Saudi licence. Once you get your paper CPR you can then get a Bahrain licence. You retain your UK licence and end up with 3.

As for driving your mates car here you had better check with your company as you may not be insured and there may be stipulations in the lease (most are leased)

A good taxi driver that can bring you over the border at a reasonable price is Rana - 0501299811 or 0590299811. Best option is to ask a mate to drop you at McDonalds Saudi side and ask him to meet you there.
Better still get a mate to bring you over the border and take you to a car hire company ;)

Cheer Jo,

Think I am sorted, one of the bahrain directors is going to take me across the causeway and lend me his car for the 4 days then as you suggested take me back across to my car in saudi after.

Can't find out if its all legal but he doesn't seem to be to bothered, he has a bigger financial implication if something happens. All else fails I will need bailing out the jail, but as in  Saudi I think it's more who you know rather that what you know! As the song goes "money talks".

See you soon.

Glad you are sorted. If your director isn't worried then don't you be either. Just have a great time