SE Asia beaches

Hi,

I'm planning on leaving the country in July for a short break.  I would like to have a bit of a chilled beach holiday somewhere not overun by tourists.  Though not too remote as i'm not missing the world cup final.  I've had lots of reccomendations for beaches in Thailand but have also been told not to venture there at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions for beach resorts in the region?

Rich

Hey Rich,

I've heard that Perhentian Island is the best from Malaysia's East coast. Havent heard any bad reviews about it as yet. :)
Thailand -  im off there in the weekend 20-24.05. So i will inform you then how safe or not it is. :)

Georgie

Hmmmm...have you considered Vietnam?  I haven't been yet though it looks beautiful and you may find it to be a little less touristy than Thailand, (just a guess, not so many of the "package" vacationers I would imagine).  Maybe somewhere like Da Nang for example or the island of Phu Quoc?  Even Indonesia would be full of beautiful beaches I am sure.  Too many options sometimes eh?

I would suggest you take a peek on the Lonely Planet website and forum if you haven't already.  There are a ton of seasoned SE Asia traveler's there that could be of a lot of help.

Good luck!