Tomorrow:Cultural Exchange with students in our English charity class

Dear Expats,

Recently, we have been run an English class teaching English for free for poor people. Tomorrow, we will hold an event namely "Small talk" which is expected to help students being confident to talk. The event will be taken place at 23/9 Part (near New World Hotel, Dist.1) from 5pm-8pm. Pls come and join in us. Your presence is an honor for all of us. If you can come, pls call me ( 0984 381 923) to catch up. Best Regards. Huyen

In normal 'event planning', one must plan in advance. You do not request for someone to be present by saying "please come tomorrow!"  Life is too complex for that kind of notice to be effective. Hope this suggestion be taken in good intention.

No promises....

Sploke77 wrote:

In normal 'event planning', one must plan in advance. You do not request for someone to be present by saying "please come tomorrow!"  Life is too complex for that kind of notice to be effective. Hope this suggestion be taken in good intention.

That is the VN way, lucky to get a moments notice sometimes, same with not being able to get an appointment for anything, VN's love to sit  there waiting/watching all day, ( I stand/sit there thinking about all the useful or pleasant things I COULD have been doing ).
  Students not ringing to say they are not able to come to class gets me going too.

That is because of the 'rubberized time' concept. Time is unlimited, why hurry? Yet to understand that 'time and tide waits for no man!'

Sploke77 wrote:

That is because of the 'rubberized time' concept. Time is unlimited, why hurry? Yet to understand that 'time and tide waits for no man!'

Yes, funny how they have quickly adapted to that Foreign thing called a ' weekend ', and some times even an 8 hr day. ( which would equate to only 4 hrs actually working for many VN ).

Sploke77 wrote:

Time and Tide has ALWAYS been there and ALWAYS will be...
:cheers:

hELLnoi wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

There won't be a tide if Global warming keeps up?

bluenz wrote:
hELLnoi wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

With global warming, we have bigger tides like that over the Philipines (Luckily for Vietnam, not so for the middle region :()

hELLnoi wrote:
bluenz wrote:
hELLnoi wrote:

With global warming, we have bigger tides like that over the Philipines (Luckily for Vietnam, not so for the middle region :()

If Antarctica melted, most of VN would be under the estimated 60 metres of extra water in the oceans.

global warming heats up the water. Typhoons and storms are created from the warm water pushing warm air upwards creating spirals. If Antarctica melted which I believe it's doing right now you'd get flooding in areas that rarely get flooded like Calgary few months ago.

And yes you're right to an extent. With Antarctica melting the shorelines are getting smaller and smaller.

bluenz wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

Students not ringing to say they are not able to come to class gets me going too.

Haha, because we actually give a hoot and prepare the class for them only that they don't show up.  I got burned a few so I make minimum class size 4 so if even one student shows up, we can still teach/learn something.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
bluenz wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

Haha, because we actually give a hoot and prepare the class for them only that they don't show up.  I got burned a few so I make minimum class size 4 so if even one student shows up, we can still teach/learn something.

They learn real fast with my wife, 5 minutes late, no lesson, then Mum + Dad find out , big trouble, but she is a very sort after teacher out of school hours, ( teaches all subjects, and up to 20 in one class , then only because there is no more room, ( maybe the kids have more respect out rural, well at least the ones she teaches ), nothing unusual for my students, ( kids and adults ), to be up to 30 minutes late for class, can't blame the kids though, Mum/Dad bring them to class.

Planning is something that involves the brain (or lack of) and can be done in advance. To arrive late for classes is usually because of traffic jams and the like? Or a clock that is malfunctioning? Or again, no idea of time?

Sploke77 wrote:

Planning is something that involves the brain (or lack of) and can be done in advance. To arrive late for classes is usually because of traffic jams and the like? Or a clock that is malfunctioning? Or again, no idea of time?

I always have my clocks 5 or 10 minutes fast, ( throwback from years ago,  making sure I can get to the bottle O/pub, that was close by ), but VN's would have to set theirs at least an hour fast?

bluenz wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

I always have my clocks 5 or 10 minutes fast, ( throwback from years ago,  making sure I can get to the bottle O/pub, that was close by ), but VN's would have to set theirs at least an hour fast?

Well, it's easier to steer the motorbike out of the way instead of the big Semi-Truck changing course. 

So since we can't change the culture to be on time, we can certainly change our ways to make sure things fit.  So, if you have a class you'd like to start at 7pm, announce that the class starts at 6:45pm - start at 6:45pm but just chit chat.  You plan a class based on starting at 7pm so there you go.

Want to meet someone at 8pm? Tell them to meet you at 7:30pm.  You'll both show up "late" and meet at 8pm.  Or show up at 7:30 PM knowing the other party will be late and enjoy a cup of coffee...read a book...play on your smartphone...etc.  When you text them that you're heading out, it also gives them notice that you're going to meet them...since in Vietnamese culture, it's considered impolite to leave a guest waiting. 

Then you can really lay it on by additional texting that you're at xyz point...almost like an instant status report.  When you get to your destination, also tell them that you arrived and waiting for them....in other words, constantly beam status reports so that even if they aren't ready to go and meet you, they'll know that you have arrived and are waiting for them. 

"Oh crap, my guest is already here...I better go now" instead of "I maybe have a meeting today sometime...somewhere....maybe I'll get to it later". 

Here's your example (it reads like script to a learning English DVD):

10h00 - B: "Hey Tuấn, let's meet for coffee at 8 tonight at D1"
10h00 - T: "OK Bob"

19h30 - B: I got a meeting with Tuấn tonight, I better give myself 30 minutes for traffic and rain.
19h30 - T: Man I hope the Korean guy gets the girl (watching TV).

19h45 - B: Damn  this traffic...I hope Tuấn is having better luck
19h45 - T: The Korean guy is such a loser, can't even beat up that other Korean guy to get the girl (still watching TV).

20h00 - B: That damn driver almost hit me...going against traffic...Ah I made it on time....(scanning the cafe for Tuấn)...Hmm, Tuấn didn't make it yet...maybe he got in an accident or something....I'll get a table and wait for him.
20h00 - T: Yes! The Korean guy got some balls....well, I'll have to wait for the next episode to see what happens next...what now?...I need to take a shower.

20h15 - B: Well, 15 minutes already and I don't see Tuấn.  Maybe I should call him. .....ring.....ring....hmm no answer.  Hope he didn't get into an accident.
20h15 - T: That felt refreshing...now what kind of clothes do I need to wear...I got a meeting with Bob.

20h20 - B: Ok, I'll call him again....ring....ring
20h20 - T: "Hello, oh Hi Bob."
20h20 - B: "Hi Tuấn, Are you alright?  We were suppose to meet for coffee at 8.  Where are you?"
20h20 - T: "Yes thats right. I'm almost there...this traffic ...hihi..just another 10 minutes and I'll be there."
20h20 - B: "Okay, see you in a few."
20h20 - T: "OK, bye."

20h25 - T: (just leaving) Now where are my keys.  Crap...oh my gas tank is empty...I'll have to get some gas on the way.
20h30 - T: (on motorbike) Here's a gas station..I'll stop here. 10,000 Đồng please!

20h35 - B: (to server) "Sure Miss, I'll take another cup."
20h35 - T: "Hum di dum di dum" (on motorbike)

21h00 - B: Ah, there's Tuấn an hour late.
21h00 - T: "Hi Bob, enjoying the coffee?"

Here's the same scenario again with Bob knowing the Vietnamese culture of always being late and using it to his advantage.

10h00 - T: "Ok Bob"

19h00 - B: I got that meeting with Tuấn in an hour..time to shower.  I better call him so he can be ready...ring...ring..(Calls Tuấn).
19h00 - T: "Hello? oh Hi Bob." (watching Korean Soaps)
19h00 - B: "Hi Tuấn, I'm leaving right now for our coffee meeting tonight." 
19h00 - T: "Ok see you" (continues watching Korean Soaps).

http://ifaketext.com/img/whjvzuqq.jpg19h05 - B: (goes to shower).  I bet that guy still hasn't gotten off his ass and is probably watching Korean Soaps.  I'll text him.
19h05 - B: "Tuấn.  I just went through Trần Hưng Đạo Street and there's an accident here.  Be careful."
19h05 - T: (watching Korean Soaps) ignores text.

19h10 - B: (out of shower).  I bet that guy still didn't move a muscle.  I'll text him.  "Tuấn..I'm almost to the cafe."
19h10 - T: (sees text) Oh, he's almost there.  I should shower now.

19h15 - B: (dressing).  I'll text him.  "Hey Tuấn.  I got here early...will order coffee and drink ahead while waiting."
19h15 - T: (in shower) ignores text.

19h20 - T: (out of shower see text) Oh crap, my guest is already there...I better go now.

19h30 - B: (leaving on motorbike) I better give myself 30 minutes for traffic and rain. 
19h30 - T: (leaving on motorbike) I hope Bob doesn't wait too long.

19h45 - B: Damn  this traffic...I hope Tuấn is having better luck.
19h45 - T: Damn  this traffic...I hope Bob doesn't wait too long.

20h00 - B: That damn driver almost hit me...going against traffic...Ah I made it on time....(quickly gets a table).
20h01 - T: "oh Hi Bob.  I hope you didn't wait too long."

21h01 - B: "Ah, Hi Tuấn.  Yah the wait was no big deal."
21h01 - T: "So, enjoying the coffee?"

21h10 - B: "So you want to talk about our business deal?"
21h10 - T: "OK Bob"

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
bluenz wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

Well, it's easier to steer the motorbike out of the way instead of the big Semi-Truck changing course. 

So since we can't change the culture to be on time, we can certainly change our ways to make sure things fit.  So, if you have a class you'd like to start at 7pm, announce that the class starts at 6:45pm - start at 6:45pm but just chit chat.  You plan a class based on starting at 7pm so there you go.

Want to meet someone at 8pm? Tell them to meet you at 7:30pm.  You'll both show up "late" and meet at 8pm.  Or show up at 7:30 PM knowing the other party will be late and enjoy a cup of coffee...read a book...play on your smartphone...etc.  When you text them that you're heading out, it also gives them notice that you're going to meet them...since in Vietnamese culture, it's considered impolite to leave a guest waiting. 

Then you can really lay it on by additional texting that you're at xyz point...almost like an instant status report.  When you get to your destination, also tell them that you arrived and waiting for them....in other words, constantly beam status reports so that even if they aren't ready to go and meet you, they'll know that you have arrived and are waiting for them. 

"Oh crap, my guest is already here...I better go now" instead of "I maybe have a meeting today sometime...somewhere....maybe I'll get to it later". 

Here's your example (it reads like script to a learning English DVD):

10h00 - T: "OK Bob"

19h30 - B: I got a meeting with Tuấn tonight, I better give myself 30 minutes for traffic and rain.
19h30 - T: Man I hope the Korean guy gets the girl (watching TV).

19h45 - B: Damn  this traffic...I hope Tuấn is having better luck
19h45 - T: The Korean guy is such a loser, can't even beat up that other Korean guy to get the girl (still watching TV).

20h00 - B: That damn driver almost hit me...going against traffic...Ah I made it on time....(scanning the cafe for Tuấn)...Hmm, Tuấn didn't make it yet...maybe he got in an accident or something....I'll get a table and wait for him.
20h00 - T: Yes! The Korean guy got some balls....well, I'll have to wait for the next episode to see what happens next...what now?...I need to take a shower.

20h15 - B: Well, 15 minutes already and I don't see Tuấn.  Maybe I should call him. .....ring.....ring....hmm no answer.  Hope he didn't get into an accident.
20h15 - T: That felt refreshing...now what kind of clothes do I need to wear...I got a meeting with Bob.

20h20 - B: Ok, I'll call him again....ring....ring
20h20 - T: "Hello, oh Hi Bob."
20h20 - B: "Hi Tuấn, Are you alright?  We were suppose to meet for coffee at 8.  Where are you?"
20h20 - T: "Yes thats right. I'm almost there...this traffic ...hihi..just another 10 minutes and I'll be there."
20h20 - B: "Okay, see you in a few."
20h20 - T: "OK, bye."

20h25 - T: (just leaving) Now where are my keys.  Crap...oh my gas tank is empty...I'll have to get some gas on the way.
20h30 - T: (on motorbike) Here's a gas station..I'll stop here. 10,000 Đồng please!

20h35 - B: (to server) "Sure Miss, I'll take another cup."
20h35 - T: "Hum di dum di dum" (on motorbike)

21h00 - B: Ah, there's Tuấn an hour late.
21h00 - T: "Hi Bob, enjoying the coffee?"

Here's the same scenario again with Bob knowing the Vietnamese culture of always being late and using it to his advantage.

10h00 - T: "Ok Bob"

19h00 - B: I got that meeting with Tuấn in an hour..time to shower.  I better call him so he can be ready...ring...ring..(Calls Tuấn).
19h00 - T: "Hello? oh Hi Bob." (watching Korean Soaps)
19h00 - B: "Hi Tuấn, I'm leaving right now for our coffee meeting tonight." 
19h00 - T: "Ok see you" (continues watching Korean Soaps).

[img align=R]http://ifaketext.com/img/whjvzuqq.jpg[/url]19h05 - B: (goes to shower).  I bet that guy still hasn't gotten off his ass and is probably watching Korean Soaps.  I'll text him.
19h05 - B: "Tuấn.  I just went through Trần Hưng Đạo Street and there's an accident here.  Be careful."
19h05 - T: (watching Korean Soaps) ignores text.

19h10 - B: (out of shower).  I bet that guy still didn't move a muscle.  I'll text him.  "Tuấn..I'm almost to the cafe."
19h10 - T: (sees text) Oh, he's almost there.  I should shower now.

19h15 - B: (dressing).  I'll text him.  "Hey Tuấn.  I got here early...will order coffee and drink ahead while waiting."
19h15 - T: (in shower) ignores text.

19h20 - T: (out of shower see text) Oh crap, my guest is already there...I better go now.

19h30 - B: (leaving on motorbike) I better give myself 30 minutes for traffic and rain. 
19h30 - T: (leaving on motorbike) I hope Bob doesn't wait too long.

19h45 - B: Damn  this traffic...I hope Tuấn is having better luck.
19h45 - T: Damn  this traffic...I hope Bob doesn't wait too long.

20h00 - B: That damn driver almost hit me...going against traffic...Ah I made it on time....(quickly gets a table).
20h01 - T: "oh Hi Bob.  I hope you didn't wait too long."

21h01 - B: "Ah, Hi Tuấn.  Yah the wait was no big deal."
21h01 - T: "So, enjoying the coffee?"

21h10 - B: "So you want to talk about our business deal?"
21h10 - T: "OK Bob"

Excellent job, love your work, this could almost be a movie???
   Thanks for your insight, now I know what's been going on, I thought class started at 6, but they must have forgotten to tell me, ( the ' teacher ' ),  that they actually start at 6.30, I'll think I'll start going later now, Thanks again.

Thank you very much for that informative piece. I already knew that some 15 years ago. I am hoping that after all this time, things may have 'changed'? Darn, it's still the same. To my books, that's already culture because that's the way things ought to be done here!! Foreigners, please don't try to change that, please..

bluenz wrote:

Excellent job, love your work, this could almost be a movie???
   Thanks for your insight, now I know what's been going on, I thought class started at 6, but they must have forgotten to tell me, ( the ' teacher ' ),  that they actually start at 6.30, I'll think I'll start going later now, Thanks again.

Yah you like that?  We can do a Youtube movie.  The script's already there.  You can audition the role of "Bob" :cool: if you like.  Just need to find a cafe, and some local guy for the role of Tuấn.