How are prices for tourists just now?

I know that sounds pretty selfish, with all that's going on, but nevertheless I'm bringing my family on 25.05 for a 3-week holiday that we are mostly going to improvise.

Could anyone give me a pretty general figure for the prices of the following on the Islands:

1x Greek salad
1x bottle beer
1x Greek coffee
1x moussaka

Thanks!

Screw the IMF and EU - we're coming!

Hi

If you go to the easyjet website and look at the travel guides on there they are generally up to date.

but Greece is classed as an expensive tourist destination,and especially the islands are more expensive.

regards

Ok here goes...

1x Greek salad- from 5 to 7 euros
1x bottle beer- 4- to 6 euros (can be more depends where you dine/drink,if you buy the same bottle at the Supermarket costs about 1.30 euros...)
1x Greek coffee once again depends of the "area" you have ur coffee at and what kind of shop -(fast food vs cafeteria vs Tourist area) Fast food coffee shop: 2-2.50 euros/ Cafeteria 3.50 - 4.50 euros / Tourist spots : 4.50 and up
1x moussaka - be prepared to spend from 7 to 13 euros depending once again on "where"

I dont think your selfish at all lol, but unless your loaded and have $ to spare 3 weeks in Greece is gonna cost you a load and is not a smart choice at all.

Just your flight fares and hotel stay is already a biggie, now considering you will have to dine out at least 2x a day and transport(taking a cab means dishing out gold and cabbies KNOW who is a tourist and not, and they can very easily fool you, they even fool us) Public transport is still confusing to ppl who have lived here all their lives and is not so efficient, very easy to get lost.

All the above is basically for Athens, if your planning to go on an Island I wont even bother giving fees and prices.

I am curious whats your spending budget for the 3 weeks excluding hotel and air fare?

:)
Kathy

Hi!

Thanks for both your replies.

Kathy, here's our cost breakdown:

We're 2 adults and 2 kids - 14 and 11. Arrive 25th May, return 15th June
We got cheap return flights Helsinki - Athens via Prague CSAir for 4: €608
Hotel in Athens Room: €70 per night. We're staying 2 nights, one on the way out, one on the way back.
7 nights in a very beautiful pension on Amorgos: €490
All that's been booked and paid for.
We don't know where we're going to stay after that. Even to a camp site. I'm hoping to get rooms for around €50 a night though.
I'm budgeting about €100 a day for food including ice-creams and drinks.

Yes, it's a scary amount of money but actually still a saving on one week package in a concrete jungle on the Spanish coast. We've been planning this for over a year and saving for about 3 years!
You know, the first time I went to Greece I was there for a month and survived on about £200 - including the 3-day bus journey! LOL!

;-)Matt

Hey Matt!

The fact that you're coming in May is good, its considered low season here(but dont worry great weather anyhow) cos most of us get our time off August. VERY cheap pension u found for 7 days less than 500euros for 4 ppl!!

From what you said, since you've been saving so long means you have the $$ to spend! :P, so thats great.

So basically you're booked and paid for till June 1st, means you got about 2 weeks left empty, I suggest u do ur best b4 departing to make arrangements for most of that time left before coming because last minute (and when ur here its so hard to plan and get info )usually comes with hassles, u CAN try some Greek Islands (depending on how much dough u have remaining to spend for those 2 weeks :P ) I think u should do some surfing and extensive research cos this is a great way to find unadvertised rooms and much cheaper.

Also since you will have kids with you I suggest u bring stuff (that normally are easily available at home 4 sure) such as aspirin,and all those small necessities that most of us think we'll just pick up "on the way", u see pharmacies here are not open normal hours and they each have set days where they are open depending on area), and shops have set schedules also, only supermarkets( where u cannot ind OTC medication by the way) are open daily normally from morning to 9pm weekdays and Sat till 8pm, sunday everything is closed except flea markets.

I dont think you want to spend your remaining 2 weeks in athens (especially not central athens!)Also Im not sure what kind of person you are (lol) I mean if you like to and insist on  5 star hotels or like to balance between saving and having a good time but not overspending(me lol)

A thought of mine, is you can perhaps book something in Piraeus( suburb of athens, 20 min train ride from central athens) which has the main port,lots of shopping to do, less populated /busy yet all commodities and city life,taverns by the ocean and you have the port near you and big island selection(some are hours away, some are 1hr!) so you have a great variety to choose from.

For example, Aigina, which is about an hour and 1 min from the port, ferry cost is 8euros per person each way. One of the cheapest.

Anyhow I dont know what are ur plans or tastes, if u need any info........here I am :P

here's an idea of Piraeus,(I have some photos on my profile as well taken by me,thats the area I live in)

From central athens, by train it takes max 20 min (Omonoia station and u get off at the terminal station at the port = Piraeus) cost is 1 euro per ticket per person. By cab (most tourists do but I dont suggest it, it will cost you even up to 10 euros-if not more and they freely scam tourists cos they know they DONT know)

http://www.easypedia.gr/el/images/shared/4/4c/Piraeus_harbor_3-2004.JPG
The harbor

http://www.pamefagito.gr/files/images/705/4%20BROS%20-%203.jpg
Mikrolimano, about 15 min walk from center piraeus, taverns, cafes all along the harbor , ocean view

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gP9GE49MOO4/SHIA_4KMU5I/AAAAAAAADR8/BK7NQz1jrxg/s400/Pireas%2BKastella%2B270%2B6-%6008_02.JPG
Piraeus kastella beach, NOT the most sophisticated or cleanest, its not an organized beach, but there is a cafeteria/ice cream parlor,its 15 min bus ride w/ traffic from the port/train station.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3e7KDwweucU/R1FfewYMcDI/AAAAAAAAAT8/FkFIyu5guyQ/s1600-R/%CE%A0%CE%91%CE%A3%CE%91%CE%9B%CE%99%CE%9C%CE%91%CE%9D%CE%99.JPG
Pasalimani area, which is between the port/train and Kastella beach( u can walk from pasalimani center to the beach in about 5-10 min)

U can read about Piraeus in the following links:

http://www.pireas.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piraeus
http://www.greece-athens.com/place.php?place_id=38

Here are some medium class hotels that should have good rates and are near everything in Piraeus:

Lilia HotelIn a residential area, 5 min walk from shops, very quiet area 5 min walk from kastella beach.
Hotel Argo Anita
Delfini Hotel right next to the port
Piraeus Dream Hotel 200meters from the port as well
Theoxenia PiraeusThis one is probably a bit more costly, it is in a residential /shop mixed area, not so far from the port 5 min ride by bus, 10 min walk.