Trade/exchange language (Viet/Eng) - have 2yr Vietnamese language exp.

Hi all,

Wife and I just moved to HCMC from the States for an indefinite amount of time.

My personal goal during my time here is to 1) find a job that allows me to use my MBA, and 2) increase my Vietnamese language skill.

I studied Vietnamese at the Univ of Washington for two years, and then studied in Ha Noi for 3mo.

I have a good handle on the basics of the language. I can read/write/type. However, learning the Southern Vietnamese accent is HARD. I speak with a Ha Noi accent.

We're on a budget, so language schools are not an option until I find a job. Thus, I'd like to partner with someone who speaks English around my same level.

I have previous experience with language exchange partners, and I used to tutor in English.

Looking for serious practitioners only. I'm married, so not trying to hook up with the ladies or anything like that :)

Any support or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Turbopaved

------------------

Xin chao cac ban,

Vo va toi moi den HCMC tu My, khong biet khi nao ve.

O day, toi co hai cai muc dich: 1) duoc viec lam ma de toi dung MBA, va 2) noi tieng viet gioi hon.

Toi hoc tieng Viet hai nam o dai hoc Washington, va tiep hoc o Ha Noi ba thang.

Toi co the doc/viet/type. Nhung, hoc va noi tieng Nam kho lam! Toi da hoc tieng Viet bang giong Bac.

Bay gio, toi khong di truong duoc, mat nhieu tien va chua co viec lam. Cho nen, toi muon gap ban ma biet noi tieng Anh going nhu toi noi tieng Viet.

Toi co kinh nghiem voi language partner va day tieng Anh la tutor.

Muon gap ban ma rat muon tap noi tieng Anh thoi. Toi co vo, khong muon dung nay de gap co gai.

Cam on nhien cac ban.

Turbopaved

Wow.

very good vietnamese using.

turbopaved wrote:

I studied Vietnamese at the Univ of Washington for two years, and then studied in Ha Noi for 3mo.

Go Huskies!

Would of been cooler if you used the Vietnamese language with the accenting marks. 

To me, the marks are essential.  To not use it is analogous to a Vietnamese learning English and keep forgetting to pronounce the ending sounds.

I met a Vietnamese person from Hà Nội who spoke passable English but when he told me about life in Hà Nội, he actually "englishtized" it and said "Ha Noi".  I told him isn't it Hà Nội?  (Drop the a and gurggle the ội). 

The accenting marks actually guide you in pronouncing the right word so locals actually understand what you're saying. 

One time a gas attendant laughed at me because I told him to fill the tank (đầy bình) but said it with the ? mark which meant that I told the attendant to push the gas tank (đẩy bình).

I still have a hard time learning Vietnamese without its accenting marks.

I appreciate the response.

1) I'm using a Mac, and haven't figured out how to type in Vietnamese.

2) Even if I did, I'd probably still go sans marks because I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote it.

3) I agree, accent marks do help. I take satisfaction in using accent marks when writing in my notebook new vocab words I learn while out and about. So, I'm right there with you with the accent marks.

Oh, and yes...

4) Go Dawgs!

Thanks again.

Hang around the park near the Notre Dame Cathedral in D1.  There are plenty of college students wanting to practice their English speaking skills.

Nice, thanks for the suggestion. We also need to find a church, so it might be a "kill two birds with one stone" opportunity.

Hi, You're in Vietnam. Just go around and talk with other people. You can go and ask direction or buy something and talk with the seller something... I don't think your Northern vietnamese accent cause much trouble in Ho Ch Minh city where people come from various place of country. BTW, Vietnamese are very interested in talking with a foreigner who able to speak Vietnamese.Have fund in Vietnam nhe'!

[Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls]