Opening an account

The question is in which bank to open an account.
i heard Maybank is good for paying bills and they have the most ATM machines but i also think that HSCB isn't that bad either.
Are there any other banks to consider?
Just want to here other peoples opinion before we decide where to go.

Thank you
sandy

Hi,

HSBC has quite strict rules to open an account and might demand more documents such as employment letters, utilities bill and so on. Maybank is the worst bank I have encounter. If you need for normal transaction that is fine but do not expect anything more than that and if you need the account to deal with international bank in overseas, it will be total hopeless. The staffs are so incompetent, unreliable and super slow!!

I am sure you can do better with Public Bank or Hong Leong but again if you need it for internationally then HSBC and Citibank is better.

Cheers

Thanks, i think we will stay away from Maybank,lol

Standard Chartered has good services and you can pay all your bills through them so you dont need a local bank. You can withdraw money from many different ATMs at worst it costs RM1 to do so if the bank is not affiliated with the SC system. They offer a debit card automatically as well.

Beware of HSBC as their standing charges and minimum balances to get free banking are very high.

One thing to bear in mind is that you tend to have to go to your bank to do the smallest service as they require a signature - so make sure the branch is easily accessible.

Thank you Gravitas,
you made some good points.