Doing business in Rio - Help!

Hello,

I'm facing a dilemma right now as I am about to be posted to Rio for a year of work attachment, but I have no idea how Rio is, and I am unable to personally visit it before the attachment.

I have tried to check the forum pages and search for information online, but I have found contradictory information.

I have some inquiries:
a) I have read from multiple online sources that HSBC is the recommended bank for foreigners; are they other alternatives?

b) As a foreigner, are there required documents that I have to obtain?

c) What are the taxes I have to pay as a foreigner (aside from those that would be contributed by my company on my behalf; I am from Singapore, but I am unable to find any information on trade/tax agreements

d) Do ladies hold the same work status as men in Rio?

e) Are their specific behaviours that I should take note of when dealing with my Rio colleagues (i.e. body language, tone, dress code)?

If you could provide me with such information, I would be extremely thankful.

Hello amyreleong,

http://www.saintjn.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/welcome-300x86.png

On behalf of all of us at Expat-blog, welcome on board.

I will try and answer all of your questions in the order in which you have posed them.

First however I suggest that you take the time to read the various topics with STICKYs at the top of the first Brazil Forum page, especially "A Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil" and "High Cost of Living in SP - how to economize". While the latter was written with São Paulo in mind, it really applies to any major city anywhere in Brazil.

a)  I personally believe that HSBC is the very best option, having had experience with them. They certainly will offer you much more convenience in terms of where you're going to find ATMs. You can withdraw funds from your HSBC account at home in any HSBC ATM or their associated network ATMs throughout Brazil, with most other banks you will only be able to conduct international transactions using a SPECIFIC ATM at main branches of Banco do Brasil, you can't use ATMs in any other location such as shopping centers, convenience stores, etc., like with HSBC. Of course you also have the option of other international banks that operate here too like Citibank, for example, but they to don't have the same advantages as HSBC.

b)  After your visa, you will require to register with the Policia Federal for your RNE - Registro Nacional de Estrangeiro which is done at the Regional Superintendency of the Federal Police (Departamento de Estrangeiros) in the city where you will be residing. This must be done within 30 days of arrival in Brazil. You will also require a CPF - Cadastro de Pessoas Fisicas (Social Security Number equivalent) which you can apply for at any post office, Banco do Brasil or at the Receita Federal here in Brazil. Without those two documents you simply don't exist here in Brazil, you'll be more invisible than the "Invisible Man" of movie fame and all the wrappings in the world won't change that. Also you require a Carteira de Trabalho (CTPS, which is your work permit). You apply for that at the Regional Superintendency of the Ministério de Trabalho e Emprego in the city where you will be residing.

c)  You will be required to pay Brazilian income taxes and INSS (Social Security) payments, these will be deducted from your pay. Aside from that you'll pay taxes on absolutely EVERYTHING you purchase or services you use, since they're built right into the prices and in most cases you aren't even told exactly how much of what you're paying is tax. Generally speaking the tax exceeds the real price of the product or service.

d)  Unfortunately no, women are still very much 'second class citizens' in Brazil, especially in the workplace. They generally speaking receive salaries lower than their male counterparts and shocking as it may sound this is permitted by law. They also tend to be less likely to be promoted than their male conterparts too, despite being more qualified in many cases.

e)  While Brazilians are famous for being kissy, huggy, touchy people by culture this does not really apply to the workplace. In most cases a simple handshake is all that's necessary. However, don't be surprised or alarmed if a male or female co-worker will hug you and give you the traditional "air kiss" on both cheeks (sometimes 3 times - left/right/left) this is still part of their culture and quite acceptable. Although there are severe laws about sexual harassment in the workplace which protect you, making use of them can brand you as a "troublemaker" and get you blacklisted, so if necessary to deal with this kind of behaviour I would recommend that you find some other, more discreet way of doing so, like an informal chat with your supervisor (off the record if possible).

Dress codes in the Brazilian workplace are pretty casual compared to most other countries. Men wear dress shirts and pants. Ties are seldom seen in many workplaces because of the heat. In São Paulo and Rio you'll still see top executives in a shirt and tie or business suit. Women in office settings wear dress pants or skirts ( with hems not too much above the knee), blouse, matching vest (optional) and a kerchief (also optional). Nothing flashy or sensual. Probably flat soled shoes are more commonly seen than high heels.

Speak in a moderate tone, not too quiet and definitely not too loud. Never shout to someone across a room, but rather go over and speak to the person. Also one little tip, NEVER chew gum in the workplace - here this is considered the height of rudeness for some reason that I have never been able to understand, despite the fact that I don't like it either.

Hope this answers most of your questions. If you have anything else please don't hesitate to ask.

Hello wjwoodward,

Gosh, this has been really helpful! I'll start by reading the other posts that you have mentioned!

Hi there,

a) - I'm with HSBC and frankly haven't been too happy with their service. But they are apparently the first choice for an expat.

b) - You need your work visa, but that should be arranged by your company... furthermore it is important that you get a CPF (like an individual tax payer's number)as soon as possible. This will make it easier to acquire things like a phone chip. You need a CPF to activate the chip. If you're only staying for a year, you won't need a RNE (Foreigner ID)

c) - Taxes... see here

d) - Sorry... Can't be very helpful there...

e) - My experience is that Brazilians are very friendly and helpful, and in particular when you're a gringo... If you want things to get done, it is all about WHO you know than What you know. A good network is extremely important. A few groups you could consider joining are:
1.Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/
- Aprenda Inglês - Learn Portuguese (every Monday meeting in Leme)
- Rio Friends - several social activities
2. International Club Rio de Janeiro(http://www.incrio.org.br/incrio/default.asp

If you want a site where you can find almost all info for an expat, you really should check out AngloINFO Rio de Janeiro (housing, healthcare, tourism, money, family, lifestyle etc...): http://riodejaneiro.angloinfo.com/information/moving/
They also have a great events calendar. It started a year ago but I wish it had been around when I needed it 5 years ago.

Oh, And if you want to explore Rio de Janeiro (especially the forests and mountains), I'm a hiking-climbing tour-guide :)

When is your arrival here?

Cheers and good luck.

Hi!

My name is Márcia.
I am Brazilian and live in the South of Brasil.
I think they both had answered your question very well.

What I can say is that you can bring normal clothes for working. In Rio most of the time is warm, so you will use Winter clothes maybe for one month.

Being here you will see now clothes are almost globalized! Perhaps Rio little more light clothes, (out of owrk more relax, with flip flops). In São Paulo, always more formal.

For business and also friendship, besides this site there is one called INternations, which has good network for business, but also friends.

But you are in the best site for your first contact...As I see wjwoodward always answer all questions what is very helpfull.

Goos luck and be in contact if you need something!

Cheers!

Márcia

ops, the name of the site is Internations (for business networking and also to find friends)

;-)

have you arrived in rio?