Visa Extensions - How Many?

I entered Vietnam on a 3 month B3 visa in March 2013.  I've left my passport with a Saigon Visa business to extend it twice for three months each since then, so I've been in the country without leaving for about 8 months. 

In the past I've been told 3 month Visas can only be extended once for three months after which time you must leave and re-enter the country with a new Visa.   The last time I had it extended, I expressed this concern with the business owner.  He told me I can extend it through him yet again with no problems (a third three month extension) but I just have to pay more money for the people at immigration.

I'm concerned perhaps I should leave the country and try to get a new Visa rather than continuing to extend.  I don't want to run afoul of the rules.  On the other hand, it would be cheaper and more convenient to extend with the same people again.

If anyone has knowledge on the subject please contact me.

Immigration Rules are only in books :D
People who enforcing these rules are human beings - any time they can change mind!

mtgmike wrote:

...I don't want to run afoul of the rules.  On the other hand, it would be cheaper and more convenient to extend with the same people again.

If you think so.  You trust this guy enough to not suddenly at the last minute require some "extra fees" to "smooth things along"?  You might be sweating bullets then and kicking yourself "Damnit, I should taken that bus to Cambodia." 

I've had an agent pull the "extra fee" crap on me and I basically was up against the wall...so I had to pay whatever they demanded.

Good points. 

I'll drop the guy a line and see what he says.

Get on the bus to PP, Cambodia and apply for a new visa in Vietnam Embassy,or in Bangkok. Expedited processing is  a lot expensive but im sure wont hurt your pocket. If you are willing to wait for a cheaper fee on regular processing time then you can wait up to a week but not sure on this..I just tried in Bangkok (one day processing) around 125usd i forgot that was last Feb this year but not more than 150..goodluck

honeyclotte wrote:

Get on the bus to PP, Cambodia and apply for a new visa in Vietnam Embassy,or in Bangkok. Expedited processing is  a lot expensive but im sure wont hurt your pocket. If you are willing to wait for a cheaper fee on regular processing time then you can wait up to a week but not sure on this..I just tried in Bangkok (one day processing) around 125usd i forgot that was last Feb this year but not more than 150..goodluck

Had my first multiple entry/exist B3 visa for 3 months issued by the VN Embassy in Australia through a travel agent and got ripped off to the tune of AUS$293 because I didn't know any better. :( (that was when AUS$1 = US$1.02)
First renewal, again 3 months and multiple entry/exit was done in less than 24 hours for US$80. :)
Second 3 month same same visa extension, while still jumping through seemingly endless hoops for VN marriage paper work to be completed :rolleyes: PLUS a letter inviting my return into VN, was done by a VN Tour company on Pham Ngu Lao.(D1)
That was part of a tourist travel deal included in a 5 day return coach tour to Siem Reap/Ankor Wat and Phnom Phenn.
The boarder crossing into and returning from Kampuchea took about 20 minutes. Everything was handled by the tour guides/interpreters who spoke Vietnamese, Kymer and English. :D