Slow cooked food with SOUL!

With so many Filipinos here in Jeddah where can one go to experience this food? Same goes with so many other ethnicities. Navigating through jeddahfood is mind boggling. What I can say is that I'm not to interested in premade, prepackage processed food offered by chains  that is simply heated up, doctored up and plated.

Real cooking is what I'm talking about. Simple to haute cuisine to experimental gastrochemistry ( I just made that up but sounds like what I'm trying to describe).  I look forward to specific recommendations. There's nothing better than slow food with soul no matter what country... Thanks in advance for your comments.

pajaroflor wrote:

There's nothing better than slow food with soul no matter what country.

:one

I like the word  gastrochemistry!!! You mean stuff that is cooked with dry ice and all the new ways were they make like roe, but out of a liquid?...good luck with that!

Nice thread.

A specific recommendation that comes to mind is Thai Garden on Heraa street near the intersection with Malik road.  They have the best Tom yum soup you have never had!  Specifically, the mixed seafood one.

For Filipino food, there was a place called Zamboanga when I was growing up here.  It might still be there, haven't checked for decades.  It is at the intersection of Madina road and Palestine street.

For Indian and Pakistani food, you need to head to Aziziah district.  Dozens of small restaurants there serving authentic food from those countries.  I live there... if you wan to eat a place here, let me know!  The only upscale Pakistani restaurant is called Marhaba on Andalus street, near where Chilli's is.  Upscale, but still quite cheap compared to other restaurants.

Like Turkish food?  Best place is Khayal on Prince Sultan street, halfway between the stone henge roundabout and Centerpoint.

Will post more if I think of any.

P.S. Very nice Yemeni food place in Red Sea Mall.  Get a dish called "fahsa", you will not regret it!

Spot on, Trape.

What started as. Philippine query has got illicited a Pavlov's Response, lol!!! You're guilty dear!
Never had Yemeni experience, so Fahsa is a definite!

As far as meaty Pakistani cuisine..hmmm. I will check Marhaba out. I recall a lot of  BBQ and pulaos, and ohhh the breads- there's one perfumes w saffron and ground cardamom, another that a super salty naan that I had with a kebab. ..baigan is good but not so much the mustard leaves dish..I always lightly dipped my roti, I've got to explore this flavor profile indeed! I really enjoy the Persian kitchen and the mildly and lighter (less oily) from central Asiaa no even Afganistan ... But my exposure to it is only from immigrants in Northern Virginia, USA.

Definitely headed to Aziziya so bring on the recommendations.. I had a wonderful neighbor from northeast.. I got to know Gujarati/Jain cooking well. So you know that it was strictly vegetarian. albeit a bit too spicy at times for my undereducated  palette. I'd like to further explore Mughali, Punjabu and Sidhi as well as Bengali, Udupi, Chettinad and Andhra... So let the tasting begin.. So thrilled to be at the start of my culinary adventure.

Thank you again for the info... I'm just delighted!

Kayal indeed is the real deal... Been there tons! Yummilicious.

Trape.. A well balanced Tom Yum is wonderful. I learned to make a similar salty tangy tamarind seasoned Philippine soup called Sinigang. It too has all the nuances of a good Tom Yum. My restaurant to-go list is taking real shape. Thx again

Hey I will respond to your specific posts later, but read my recommendations here as well:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=308400

(geared more towards haute cuisine)

Trapezius wrote:

Hey I will respond to your specific posts later, but read my recommendations here as well:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=308400

(geared more towards haute cuisine)

YAY!  Trapezius posted a  link back to the forum! :top: