Enrolling Kids in a Maltese Primary School..

I know Arnold well!!! Good luck with the move we've only been here a week, but lived in Spain 10 years prior to that , I have a 15 year old son was going to put him into private but could not find a private school that would do Spanish o level and seeing as he has been in Spanish state school all his life and is completely bilingual it would be a huge waste for him not to get an o level in it ( he could probably do a bloody degree in it it be honest!!). So he will be going to state school here he's got a lot of work ahead of him but he is very bright so I'm confident he will be ok, plus as he is so new here he won't have to pass o level maltese to do his a levels , he does want to learn maltese though so getting him some private classes. Yes me and my husband both have jobs here the company we worked for in Spain has relocated offices here so hence we've been relocated along with it!. Shipping from Spain was hard to sort out and very expensive ended up paying for a part shipping container but got here pretty quick and more or less in one piece! Good luck with everything may bump into you at school at some point!!! Kelly x

ash73 wrote:

Hi Duxx

When I went to Pembroke the Head of School wasn't there so they said she would sign the letter and post it out to me.. So hopefully will get in post tomorrow and go to the school then..

Hope your boy got on ok today..

Hi Ash73,

How long did it take for your letter to arrive, i was at St Clares last week to enroll my 3, they said i would get a letter from each individual head (will have 3 all in different schools) then we can finalise the enrolment. really just want to get this sorted out as school starts next week and wanted to get them in by then, plus need all the uniform and stationary lists.

Thanks
in advance

Kelly

Hi Kelly, I actually didn't get a letter in the end.. The School rang to say pop in and sign a few more papers which I did on the Monday and the kids started on the Tuesday... Best of luck with everything..

Just thought I would update this topic - I got in touch with Ms White in order to make an appointment to register my daughter at Marsascala Primary School and her reply was:

As from the 1st October 2014, EU nationals are to register their children directly at the school in the area where you will be living. Thanks.

Regards,

Josette-Marie White

MSc in Human Resource Management & Development (Leicester)

Service Manager - Customer Care Office

Alison 😃

We have been in Malta for less than 2 years and this is at least the fourth major change in the procedure to register children in state schools.

Hi , I move to Malta on the 30th March with my two children 10 and 11 and my partner. The children's biological father does not see them and has nothing to do with the children and hasn't done so for 8 years, he has written a letter consenting the children to move to malta, he signed it, I signed it and also a witness, I will also bring along a copy of his birth certificate. With this letter and birth certificate be enough for me to be able to enrol the children into school?
Many thanks
Samantha xx 😊

Hiya Samantha,

If I was you I would give the department of education a call and ask to speak to josette white you can find her number on the department of educations website, she will be able to clarify things for you as she is the lady who deals with all admissions of foreigners into state school.

Hello.
Thank you so much for your help.
I will give her a call and see what she says. :-) x

Dragging up this older thread as my question is the same. I went today to register my son at Mellieha primary school. I was given a registration form. I have passports, birth certificate, marriage certificate and rental agreement. On the form it says ID card no. Do I require this before I can enrol him? We have only been here 2 weeks and school starts on the 26th and wasn't aware if we needed this prior to enrolling him? We are from the UK.

Thanks

SummerJessica wrote:

Dragging up this older thread as my question is the same. I went today to register my son at Mellieha primary school. I was given a registration form. I have passports, birth certificate, marriage certificate and rental agreement. On the form it says ID card no. Do I require this before I can enrol him? We have only been here 2 weeks and school starts on the 26th and wasn't aware if we needed this prior to enrolling him? We are from the UK.

Thanks

Re: Your question: ‘On the form it says ID card no. Do I require this before I can enrol him?'

Reply: No.

In this regard, please see:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get … condRef=02

Hi

When we moved here we just used the kids passport number (and still do as not got them id cards yet).

Passport number and other forms of documentation to show your residence will be suitable

Thanks for your replies. I successfully registered my son at Mellieha Primary this morning. I was presented with a huge stationary list and uniform list which was quite surprising seeing he is only 5.

Hi SummerJessica!
Is the stationary list really huge? Can you please share it here so we will know what to expect :)
Thanks
A.

It is huge. I'm not used to ever having to buy this much stationary. It seems they don't supply anything. I spent €70 on this alone and I haven't even bought a backpack yet or his uniform which is also very expensive and plentiful.[img][IMG]http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac5/SummerJessica/Mobile%20Uploads/20160917_093111_zpsdgq05r7i.jpg[/img][/img]

Over here, you are to provide all stationary, books, pens, pencils & paint etc, schools don't provide much at all. It was a big shock when we first came over to have to buy copy books and covers and stuff, now we are used to it, but its a big change from Uk school system where everything is provided.
Sometimes you get asked to pay for photocopies throughout the school year particularly at exam time twice a year.( year 4 upwards).

Sparkie wrote:

Over here, you are to provide all stationary, books, pens, pencils & paint etc, schools don't provide much at all. It was a big shock when we first came over to have to buy copy books and covers and stuff, now we are used to it, but its a big change from Uk school system where everything is provided.
Sometimes you get asked to pay for photocopies throughout the school year particularly at exam time twice a year.( year 4 upwards).

Schools in the UK provide stationery? Wow, in Austria where we're from parents have to buy stationery and copies are always charged for, too, and then there are extra expenses like excursions, museum admission, etc... Only good thing, we don't have uniforms, so that's some money saved.. Have you tried Lidl or Tallira for copy books etc, might be cheaper..

The stationary list is a shock the first time round, but some things can be used again the next year (copy book covers, files etc). Backpacks & pencil cases can be expensive here too, so shop around (Tallira store/JB etc) or order via Sports direct - the delivery cost still makes things cheaper & it gets here really quick. I get the kids trainers, shoes, tights etc from there - it's surprising what they have. They also need lunch bags, water botles etc. as there's no school lunches here.
My kids uniforms are just stocked by Yorkie & items were often out of stock - don't leave it too late to get them. We are spoilt in the UK by the choices we have for uniform, I really struggled to start with, but the first year is always the worst - for uniform & all the other stuff!

I have unfortunately only just received the school uniform list and they are also stocked by Yorkie. I need to make a trip to their store to get them next week and am worried things may be out of stock. I have looked at Amazon for the backpack and things like that as backpacks are extortionate here.

Wanted to revive this thread as we are moving to Malta this coming summer and looking at schools. We are looking at Chiswick and Verdala and hope to see a state school in Sliema.

Does anyone on here have a child at Sliema Primary? Could you tell me if there are a lot of expats and non-Maltese speakers there? I'm concerned my children - ages 3, 4, 7, - will feel left out as they only speak English.

r77jj wrote:

Wanted to revive this thread as we are moving to Malta this coming summer and looking at schools. We are looking at Chiswick and Verdala and hope to see a state school in Sliema.

Does anyone on here have a child at Sliema Primary? Could you tell me if there are a lot of expats and non-Maltese speakers there? I'm concerned my children - ages 3, 4, 7, - will feel left out as they only speak English.

My son went to a secondary state school in Sliema, not a primary, but it was mostly Maltese.  He felt very left out, I regret sending him, but I don't think younger children have the same problem.  Check directly with the school you're looking at.

my kids don't go  to sliema primary, but I know several families who have their kids there and they say it is minimum 50-50 in terms maltese v expats

hi im coming over to malta in 2 weeks and hoping to enrol my son in the mellieha primary school, i just wondered if they had an online shop that i could buy uniform form as i'm quite concerned it's going to be out of stock and i have to start work exactly one week after arriving lol so i could really do without the stress of uniform :) any info would help greatly

Regards

Becky