80% of Germans have it and maybe you should, too!

Now, I donŽt know if this has been covered on this forum before and IŽm not sure if this is the right place to park it but...
IŽve been in Germany for over 20 years and had never heard of " private Haftpflichtversicherung " (personal liability insurance) when I arrived.
80% of Germans have this insurance but most expats, especially new arrivals here, have never heard of it.
Why do 80% of Germans have such an insurance? ItŽs because of German law ( Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch §823 Schadenersatzpflicht ),which means you are legally liable for death, injury or other harm to another personŽs health or damage to the  property (eg your landlordŽs).
Typical examples are if youŽre on a bike and accidentally run someone over or crash into the back of their car or even step in front of a bus or tram, causing the driver to brake and maybe injuring passengers whilst doing so. Or you drop a bottle onto your landlordŽs washbasin and crack it..and he wants a replacement paid for!
These things happen so often....
Do your research on this - itŽs not expensive and could save your financial life!

Not everyone agrees to the above.
The purpose of an insurance is to make money for the business, not to cover your accidental costs. They always pay out much less than they take in in fees. As a whole, their customers always lose.
Among the customers (who all pay similar fees), those who are careful subsidise those who cause a lot of damage. I am careful, therefore I prefer not to have private liability insurance.
I know most Germans disagree, but I am happy not to be German in this respect.

That is very dangerous advice, beppi, and IŽm surprised to read your opinion. Ask any Verbraucherzentrale here ( Consumer Protection Bureau) about its importance.
YouŽll also find these days that most landlords here require the potential tenant to have it before theyŽll rent them their place.
More importantly - ANYONE can accidentally cause damage - accidentally knocking someone over in the street or on their bike etc.
If you do this and are found negligent, you pay - thatŽs it. Hospital bills, the works.
" They always pay out much less than they take in fees ". This is a ridiculous statement. I have a friend in Berlin who twice involved his insurance: once for crashing into the back of a BMW at the traffic lights (4,000 euros damage) on his bike and the second time knocking over a woman ..same bike. She was in hospital for three months and the insurance paid her hospital bill.
He pays about 50 euros a year for his insurance.

I did not give advice, only my opinion, and facts (that the insurance companies pay out less than they take in is a fact, since they are for-profit organisations).
You sound like an insurance agent. (Again my opinion: One of the shadier professions.) If so, please be reminded that soliciting business is not allowed on this forum and will get you banned (unless you pay for advertisements).

My profession is in my profile, beppi. IŽm an independent insurance BROKER.Definitely NOT an agent. Do you know the legal difference? It means:  "best advice" and that is what the licence is for. IŽm NOT touting for business here as I have no need to.
I have seen so much poor advice and opinions on here ( though I rarely visit this forum ) and I know how it is to be a foreigner here, having been poorly advised when I first arrived here.

Just be aware expats need correct information and they find it hard to get here.

I meant somebody who sells insurance as a profession - I don't care if it's called agent or broker, but I know that such types won't say if a certain insurance is unnecessary (and often will only recommend those which pay high commission, which is natural for those who live off commissions).

People come here to hear opinions, not to get indisputable advice.
My opinion is that most insurances are useless at best (except for those who earn their profits and commissions). But our readers are well advised to trust neither me or john g. and make up their own opinion.