Working in Saudi and Living in Bahrain

Hi Everyone,

I'm an American citizen that currently lives and works in Jeddah Saudi Arabia.

I'm getting transferred to work in our Dammam office and heard that loads of expats actually prefer to live in Bahrain and take the causeway everyday to work.

First of all, I wanted to ask which areas of Bahrain are closest to the causeway? Would these areas be considered safe and up to standard?

Second of all, is it legal to do this? I know that lots of expats are currently doing this anyways ;  but from a Bahraini perspective is it ok for an Expat with a Saudi residence visa to rent an apartment in Bahrain? I'm also concerned about finding a nursery for my little one in the future. Will they accept him in a nursery without him having a Bahraini residence visa?

Finally:  I've heard there have been uprisings in Bahrain and the causeway gets shut down for a few days. Does the causeway shut down often?

Thanks...

Tamir

60% of people who work in saudi live in Bahrain. It is legal and accepted. Bahrain is a fantastic place to live. ENJOY

Thanks Josnuggles and much appreciated.. 

I got the rest of the answers off the other discussions on the forum ; except for the causeway part.  Do they really shut the causeway down whenever they've got demonstrations going on?

Thanks...

I've never heard of the causeway being closed due to demonstrations

The causeway has never been shut in the 2 1/2 years we have been here.  I think they maybe shut it once for a few hours when the initial trouble started but that was just to let the military from Saudi across to sort them out then it was open again.

Dont worry!

I think the Causeway was only shut in 2011 during the initial uprising. But that's all.

Bahrain is very safe to live and as mentioned above, a lot of people do that.

Saar is a popular destination for people who want to live in Bahrain and work in Saudi Arabia due to its close proximity to the border. But then nowhere in Bahrain is far. It's a tiny island. :)

Hi Tamir
Have you landed in Bahrain? Did you decide to live in Bahrain and work in Saudi? Could you share your real experience? Appreciate. Just exploring some opportunity in Khobar
Best regards
:unsure

MHari wrote:

Hi Tamir
Have you landed in Bahrain? Did you decide to live in Bahrain and work in Saudi? Could you share your real experience? Appreciate. Just exploring some opportunity in Khobar
Best regards
:unsure

Life in Bahrain is much better than life in Saudi. If your company would allow you to live here then jump at the chance :-)