ID card not a travel document!!!

When we flew to Sicily recently, we used our ID cards instead of our passports when we left Malta. On our return we presented the ID cards BUT our pps were also required. My husband has an EU pp and I travel on a South African pp - with a Schengen visa. What happens when the visa is no longer valid? Do I have to apply for another visa; is the ID plus pp without visa sufficient to travel in EU or can I have a stamp in my pp to the effect that I reside in the EU? Is anyone else in a similar position? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi,
I just came back last week with my West African passport and ID card, no visa. My husband has EU passport but he wasn't with me.

Hi biddy,

it's not an ID card.

It's the e-residence card and cannot be used for travel on its own. Only in connection with a passport (for non-EU citizens) or with a national ID card for citizens of EU countries that issue ID cards and passports (like Germany).

It replaces any visa stamps in passports for non-EU citizens.

Cheers
Ricky

PS I hope people stop calling the new card 'ID card' soon as it is confusing. Lets all call it 'residence card' -)))

Thanks for confirming what we suspected. Apologies for using incorrect term!!!