Horrible murder in Consejo

I assume this is the same Nichi who has posted on these boards?  Very sad; my condolences to her family and community

katievalk wrote:

I assume this is the same Nichi who has posted on these boards?  Very sad; my condolences to her family and community

She will be missed, my condolences to her family and friends. Such a terrible tragedy.

Oct 30, 2013
Canadian woman is stabbed more than eight times inside her house in Consejo

Patricia Lynn Nichiporowich

There is a brutal murder to report tonight; a Canadian woman was stabbed to death at her house sometime on Tuesday evening. Her body was found in a pool of blood in her living room. Neighbors say they heard screams but did not see anyone entering the house of Patricia Lynn Nichiporowich who had been living in the Consejo area in the outskirts of Corozal Town since May first. Her common-law left for Canada earlier this week and she was home alone when her life was cut short. Her killers apparently entered the secured house from the rear and police found footprints as well as the murder weapon. 

Duane Moody, Reporting

Consejo Shores….it is an area habituated primarily by foreign nationals who retire after years of work and migrate to the jewel to bask in the peace and tranquility the location has to offer. It is a widespread community located approximately seven miles northeast of Corozal Town. But on Tuesday night just before seven o'clock, that serenity was shattered when the body of fifty-seven year old Canadian national, Patricia Lynn Nichiporowich was found with multiple stab wounds.

It is day one in the investigation being conducted by investigators from the Corozal Police Formation.

ASP Daniel Arzu, Deputy Commander, Corozal Police Formation

“We received information of an incident at Consejo Village here at Corozal District. We responded to the information received. There we arrived at a two storey concrete building. We conducted an investigation and we realized that access was not possible given the fact that the building was secured. It has one stair which carries a metal door which was locked. We made entrance to the building via a ladder and inside we observed a Caucasian female, woman, on the floor in the living room faced down in what appears to be blood apparently dead. So we conducted inquires and nobody was around, the building was secured.”

It is believed the culprits gained access to the property from the rear. Footprints on the wall leading to the second floor indicate that the attacker or attackers scaled the side of the building to gain entrance. There is where the home invasion and foiled burglary turned deadly when the killer encountered Nichiporowich inside her house. Police say that the burglary was averted when neighbors heard screams coming for the house.

ASP Daniel Arzu

“The motive as it is right now is still undetermined, but what my assessments so far it seems to be a home invasion and with the quick response of the neighbors, I believe that the person who attempted that entry or persons who gained entry to that building were extremely distracted and they had to quickly flee that scene. They were distracted by the presence of the neighbors. From information gathered, the neighbors were alerted by screaming, by yelling—a form of panic yelling and they responded because you see those people in that area are much into that neighborhood watch activities and so they responded. And when they responded, the person or persons attacking were distracted and they probably fled. We observed that they have I-pods, cell phones; expensive stuff within the premise and that tells us that it has to be distraction even if the persons were there to rob or steal, I am sure that they were distracted by the response of the neighbors who live nearby.”

Daniel Arzu

A stainless steel eight-inch blade knife, believed to be the murder weapon, was retrieved from the scene. Nichiporowich and her common-law had been renting in the area since May of this year and she was to relocate to San Ignacio shortly.

ASP Daniel Arzu

“She had a partner who is out of the country right now. I understand that he might have departed the country on Monday and she stayed back preparing to migrate to San Ignacio in the Cayo District. We very much as well know that the people residing in Consejo, foreigners or people who are naturalized Belizeans are very corporative and we know that they will assist with this investigation. And again we rely on the public to give us that assistance to take us somewhere in this investigation.”

Anyone with information that can assist with this latest homicide in Corozal is asked to please contact the nearest police station or crime stoppers Belize at 0-800-922-TIPS. Duane Moody for News Five.

Nichiporowich's son, who is in Thailand is expected to arrive in Belize later this week.

Hope everyone in Consejo is dealing with this as best they can. Thinking of you all.
Do you think this was an isolated incident or are home invasions becoming more prevalent?

G & J 19   the question you raise is what is on everyones mind.  there is much gossip but few facts to affirm or deny that it was a home invasion gone wrong.   Our local Police probably do not have extensive forensic resources.   apparently, there were footprints there of more than 1 person.  male sized.  one set large enough that locals believe it could not have been a villager, since most Belizeans, especially Mayans, are smaller than most Caucasians..  a bloody knife must have finger/palm prints on it and the blood was surely tested to determine if it was Lynns or her killer.  unless someone comes forward with direct knowledge of the crime, there seems to be no progress.  Our local Police are making no public announcements.  I miss Lynn.  I am getting more dogs.  Big dogs.

crimestoppersbelize.org

Call is answered in Miami and info you submit is anonymous and can not be traced back to you.  Its a great tool to use in lieu of hard evidence or witnesses.  Someone knows, saw or heard something.

ty Katie    someone knows something.  financial motivation may be an idea.

Financial from thieves or relatives?  Tell crimestoppers what you think; can only help

Let this thread remind everyone of what happened. Thank you for restarting it.

The whole team and I would like to present our sincere condolences to Nichi's family.

We'll remember you Nichi

My deepest sympathy to family members and all those who were blessed by knowing Nichi and the positive contributions she made. I can't help but wander why not a single item was taken (I realize time to do so was limited), but this makes me question it being a home invasion. Stabbing someone 8 or 9 times seems to be an act of intense anger. Just thinking out loud. Hope this horrible crime gets solved. Keeping  family in prayers. RICK

I do not know enough people here to know how to raise money for a reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the killer(s).

HOWEREVER I am certain there are people who know something.  I also know that people will come forward when there is a reward.

It seems to me that both the police and the expats are NOT wanting this crime to be home invasion/theft.  Expat residents are a significant income stream for Northern Belize and they will not come if there is a threat of being killed for money.  I also hear much talk which "blames the victim", ----  lines of thinking that Lynn must have committed some impropriety, thus inviting or causing her murder.

Absolutely no one knows if anything was stolen.  No resident of the household has been there to go over it with a fine tooth comb to discover if items are missing, thus it is not possible to know if anything is missing.  It is an assumption that nothing was taken.

One thing is known, the assailants left the dwelling on foot.   

Many assumptions and no facts.  Unless the Canadian authorities get involved with some trained, motivated investigators, I doubt there will be any resolution.

The Belizean government will either protect us expats or it will lose us.

Call crimestoppers with the info you have.  Easy to raise reward money in your community, if you are part of a community.  Talk to the people at CS. Motive not important; solving the crime is. You'll have to deal with Belize police; foreign police can only be invited in. Talk to Candian High Commissioner and see what they say. Probably very little

I got the same assumption about everyone thinking this was not a home invasion and purposely targeted.

Has there been any leads? Has the Canadian government taken notice or starting to get involved?

I completely agree that people will leave or cancel plans to move if these type of crimes continue. There was a large advertising campaign in the US last year and the early part of this year pushing people to retire in Belize.

Hopefully for the sake of everyone, the crime is solved - and the police find an effective but responsible way to detour people from committing similar crimes.

Matt-

Pls contact Crimestoppers and tell them what you know or think.

Starling 5.    I do know who you are or what you are talking about.  Your remarks are most unwelcome.  I believe you have not understood what I wrote.  I suggest you re-read my comments.

I find it preposterous that anyone speculate on motives of the killer(s). 

The police have released few hard facts.  The police are responsible for conducting an investigation into this most serious of crimes.   They now say they have no leads. 

There is no reward for information, which I believe would be an effective motivator for someone who knows what actually occurred.

The only thing I would ask is this....   Where does a person go to find out the  progress of the investigation?  The TV news?  The newspapers?  Which one?  Que Pasa Corozal?  Directly to the police?  With such limited information being told people, it's no wonder that rumors fly. Perhaps her son or her partner, if they are following this thread, would be able to provide factual information.  Until there is some closure there will be many people who rethink their move to, or stay in Belize.

My condolences to her and her family and friends.  It must be frightening to expats living there.

To All.  I think we would have to ask the police, but I do not know if that will be useful.   I wish we could raise enough money to to offer a reward.   I lived in Aruba when Nancy Grace was hot on the murder of the girl who disappeared there.  She was heavy handed and the Arubans hated her.

Ask the police, and I'm sure they will want an in depth interview on what your interest is.

Rumors are flying all over the expat community, and at least 2 people have suffered from this already. Of course the police have had investigators at the local expat hangouts taking notes.

I had a conversation with one at the Woodhouse. I hope these rumor mongers who are trying to ruin somebody else's life, end up with the bad karma they deserve.

I for one never even worried about locking my door at night. Now I'm up at the slightest noise. The whole thing makes me somewhat paranoid.

You might be happy to know her little dog Beanz is being shipped home to her sister.

I have become cautious, more alert to who is around me.   I believe that allowing this vicious killing to go unsolved will cost Belize more than 1 expat infusing $ into the local economy.   The Land title scandal in San Pedro, wherein the gringos find their land title mysteriously in the hands of a Belizean is additionally discouraging.

I am astonished at the latest attacks on a Canadian couple!  vicious even tho the theives were getting what they wanted.  they forced the couple to drive them to their home where they stole all the goods they wanted plus their SUV.  They still beat the woman till her jaw was broken.   Then the police discover the car near Corozal, arrest a man named Rodriguez, take the prisoner to Belmopan.  He is transferred to Placenta where the crimes occurred.  Then he is discovered dead, floating in the sea!   Whom do we expats fear most?   we can be beaten to death by robbers or police?????   Ex pats & tourists will not come to Belize if theirs persons and property are not safe.  Renters will leave.  Home owners will try to sell to a diminishing pool of buyers.

Just a word of advise...you are living in a 3rd world country. The Police will do what they want to do. They do owe the USA a lot so as a USA citizen you will probably be better off than somebody else.

But talking bad about the Police here in Corozal is not a wise thing to do.

Having spent some time here in their jail. I can tell you it is very unpleasant, and they really don't like gringo's.

thank you for the advice.   daily I become more aware of the issues of a third world country.

When we lived in Aruba, we could assimilate.  so many people from all over the Caribbean, USA, Europe and So America....  we could blend in.  Aruba is a small island with many cultures & skin colors and languages.  We lived in an Aruban neighborhood & ate out at local restaurants.  I learned the local Creole Patois enuf to get by.  I had hoped for a similar experience here.  At this time, I feel as if I have a bullseye on my forehead.  I am blond so I can not blend.  We will see what the next 6 months brings.  I am taking Spanish classes, so that may help.

Dec 18, 2013
Foreign national being sought for questioning in the murder of Canadian retiree

Lynn Nichiporowich

The latest statistics provided by the Police Department says that crime has generally gone down when compared to 2012. One district that has recorded only four murders for this year is Corozal—the most recent is the brutal murder of fifty-seven year old Canadian retiree, Lynn Nichiporowich, which occurred on October twenty-eight at her house in Consejo Shores. Nichiporowich had been living that area since May first and was just about to relocate to San Ignacio when her life was viciously taken. There were little to no clues as to who could have committed the heinous crime as Nichiporowich's husband had just left the country en route to the U.S. one day earlier. One person was detained and then subsequently released, but reports are now that the person of interest in the ongoing police investigation is not in the country and can only be contacted through a local attorney here in Belize. That person, a foreign national, is being sought by Corozal police, who say that they are in contact with their U.S. counterparts for assistance.

One thing is quite sure if they have any forensic skills....
If the knife do not have a protection bar, stabbing someone 8-9 times means that..
1. Even with a sharp knife it takes some force to enter a human body.
2. On first stab a lot of blood will splash out.
3. Even more blood on second and third stab.
4. Eventually the hand of the assilant will become wet and slippery from blood.
5. Eventually is most often happens that the assilant slip on the handle and cut him/herself while stabbing.
6. Means, most probably there is blood from the assilant in the room or on the knife.
7. DNA should tie the assilant to the murder.

However you must bear in mind that the police (from what I have heard) do not have the proper equipment compared to a 'Westernised' Law Enforcement agency, even for normal policing. I would doubt that they have a decent fingerprint or forensic DNA capability to obtain credible samples in the first place. You will then need a suitable database or suspect to compare those to. This may be solved by good old fashioned leg work but a decent reward with police informants would not go amiss and probably get more results. (Money is a great motivator in a poor country)
I do feel for her partner who seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

On another thread, her former partner has posted a touching eulogy.   He offered to speak with the local police by phone, about items he knows to be missing from the inventory they provided to her family members.  computers & accessories----      The police declined this offer.    Even tho the man was in the USA at the time of the killing, police consider him to be a "person of interest", a suspect for the killing.    Again it seems both residents and officials wish to avoid considering this a home invasion gone wrong.    A crime of passion is more palatable, than robbery and murder of Gringos.

It seems unlikely that the killer will ever be officially identified.   The man who was  arrested in Chin Chin for the robbery and beating of the Canadian couple in Placencia and whom died in police custody, was probably part of the group that killed Lynn.    He was identified as the thief in a purse snatching in Corozal and another burglary in Consejo.   However since the man is dead, we can not be certain.   His 2 companions have not been apprehended.

It appears that as expats here, we must be vigilant in protecting ourselves from harm.    As expats most of us are visually distinct, immediately identifiable as foreigners.   As foreigners we are usually viewed as  a potential source of revenue.    Our situation here in Belize is similar to what we would experience in a high crime.  racially distinct ghetto in a large city in the USA.   Most of us expats would NOT choose to retire in a slum in the USA.

I have become very conscious of our personal safety.