Medicine and other rubbish blown-out costs

Coming to the Philippines Im sure most ( as I did) look forward to a cheap and fruitful living compared to the western worlds. I was rudely,rudely shocked when it came to the costs of medicine and healthcare.
Firstly, I gave birth to my child here.
Secondly, I am epileptic, and therefore must have a certain medicine I take - we cannot change brands etc etc.
The birth - well I cant complain too much in service and doctors, they were amazing! But rudely shocked when the bill arrived to find you are required to pay for absolutley every single thing that was used for you in that time. Everything from pillows,needles,sheet rental, plate washing,bed cleaning (labelled as room service???) - everything was broken down. And you take those things with you when you leave! You basically purchase all items. This can be a shock,as when hosptial fees are quoted they dont say anything about all of that!
Also, if you dont have the money to pay the bill they wont release people from the hospital!
Now keep in mind this is also a common scam people will say to get a few bucks from you.. "my daughter is in hospital..."

With medicine - my medicine usually cost me $30aud for a 3 month supply in Australia. Here,it costs me $80 aud per month! and sure thats not an everyday medicine but the markups are across the board!

The reason?
"suppliers" work their way in with the local "in charge". Those "in charge" are given a government budget. The "supplier" offers them medicines at a certain rate, and 20% of the profit.

Its disgraceful.

I used to live in San Francisco, California. And now I live here in the Philippines. I gave birth to my son in the US, and my daughter, here. Like you, I also have epilepsy, currently on Lamictal.

First of all, expats should not assume that the hospital policies and practices in the Philippines, including billing, is the same as that in other countries.

Second, all should be aware that there is what is called socialized hospitalization rates, i.e., the more expensive your room, the higher the rate for medical services and medication admisitered at the hospital. I know it sounds silly to pay more for your antibiotics if you're staying at a suite than in a ward, but it's all legal.

I disagree that health care and medical expense is more expensive here. Actually, it's cheaper, than that in the US, at least from my experience.

Back in America, I paid around US$50 a month for PPO health insurance, which was my portion on my employer's coverage. A refill of Lamictal was US$50. For every doctor visit, I paid a co-pay of US$30, and for ER, US$100.

But when I got laid off, I paid for the entire monthly premium, around US450 / month. In between transfering my employer's plan to me as allowed by Cal COBRA, I tried getting a refill for my prescription, but the pharmacy (or let me say, ANY pharmacy) wanted to charge me US$850+. I was shocked! So, I just waited until COBRA took effect since I still had extra meds.

For my childbirth in the US, most of the DISCOUNTED hospital cost including doctor's fees of around US$32K+ (and let me stress that that is in US dollars) was covered. But I still had to pay $3,000 in co-pay, $900 in co-pay for the anaesthesiologist. And though most of the charges were not itemized as they are here in my hospital in the Philippines, the hospital staff services, including, cleaning and room service, were probably bundled under the huge "general hospital fees." And this is probably why the nurses were very eager to give us "freebies" to take home such as swaddling blankets, socks, diapers, rash medication, and other baby stuff.

Here in the Philippines, my total hospital cost including the doctor's fees for a c-section was around PhP130K+ (less than my US$3000 co-pay). My husband's health insurance (which I'll discuss a bit later) didn't cover maternity (as do some health insurance in the US.). My hospital is not one of those super expensive ones like Makati Med or Medical City, but still it is a major private hospital. I got a suite because I wanted two "watchers": my husband and a nanny to cover for him when he needs to take a break. I did bring my own comfy pillows, warm soft blankets, and fine silverware from home, my favorite brand of pads, and also other things that I'm used to at home, such as my tray, laptop, broadband, facebook and skype.

I and my two kids are covered under my husband's HMO insurance thru his employer here in the Philippines. The entire monthly premium is paid by his employer. We do not pay a single cent (no co-pays) for doctor's visits, lab work and ER with accredited hospitals. When my son got dengue recently, we went to the ER, and got the large private room that was covered by my husband's insurance. Upon check out, we paid, believe it or not, PhP0.92!

I do pay for my epilepsy med, Lamictal, as it is not covered by insurance. It's PhP70 per tablet. But with a 30% discount card from the manufacturer, I pay only around PhP49 for the first 62 tablets. (Compare that to US$5+ per tablet when you don't have insurance.)

Hospital such as Makati Med, Medical City, and St. Luke's have very expensive rates. Before I gave birth, I asked Medical City for their rates, and they said they have a package for around PhP80K for a 5-day stay, and that will already include operating room fees. OB and anaesthesiologist not included. But that is just the ward, which you share with 4 other people.

When it comes to childbirth in a hospital, I think my hospital in the US (one of the top 50), was a lot lot better when it comes to service, even if you compare it with expensive hospitals here in the Philippines. They even attach a security device on our baby's umbillical cord stump, so we were to steer clear of exit points when we bring our child outside our room, as it could trigger an alarm and bring hospital security in a few seconds, and police in less than 3 minutes. (In the Philippines, there are many instances of newborns stolen from their parents at the hospital, which could be avoided if only they attach this device.)

To morefuninthephilippines, if it costs a lot more to buy your meds here in the Philippines than in Australia, and if you can have your family or friends in Australia to buy it for you, then just buy it there and then pay for shipping. You might cut some of the cost of your meds. If that is not possible, ask your neurologist if the brand you're taking offers a discount card. You can also ask your neurologist here if she has free samples of your med.

Yes I dont know the costs of medicine, hospitals etc in the U.S. Australia is much cheaper than both. Its good for people to know the situation because it can be surprising!

FilAmericanMom wrote:

I used to live in San Francisco, California. And now I live here in the Philippines. I gave birth to my son in the US, and my daughter, here. Like you, I also have epilepsy, currently on Lamictal.

First of all, expats should not assume that the hospital policies and practices in the Philippines, including billing, is the same as that in other countries.

Second, all should be aware that there is what is called socialized hospitalization rates, i.e., the more expensive your room, the higher the rate for medical services and medication admisitered at the hospital. I know it sounds silly to pay more for your antibiotics if you're staying at a suite than in a ward, but it's all legal.

I disagree that health care and medical expense is more expensive here. Actually, it's cheaper, than that in the US, at least from my experience.

Back in America, I paid around US$50 a month for PPO health insurance, which was my portion on my employer's coverage. A refill of Lamictal was US$50. For every doctor visit, I paid a co-pay of US$30, and for ER, US$100.

But when I got laid off, I paid for the entire monthly premium, around US450 / month. In between transfering my employer's plan to me as allowed by Cal COBRA, I tried getting a refill for my prescription, but the pharmacy (or let me say, ANY pharmacy) wanted to charge me US$850+. I was shocked! So, I just waited until COBRA took effect since I still had extra meds.

For my childbirth in the US, most of the DISCOUNTED hospital cost including doctor's fees of around US$32K+ (and let me stress that that is in US dollars) was covered. But I still had to pay $3,000 in co-pay, $900 in co-pay for the anaesthesiologist. And though most of the charges were not itemized as they are here in my hospital in the Philippines, the hospital staff services, including, cleaning and room service, were probably bundled under the huge "general hospital fees." And this is probably why the nurses were very eager to give us "freebies" to take home such as swaddling blankets, socks, diapers, rash medication, and other baby stuff.

Here in the Philippines, my total hospital cost including the doctor's fees for a c-section was around PhP130K+ (less than my US$3000 co-pay). My husband's health insurance (which I'll discuss a bit later) didn't cover maternity (as do some health insurance in the US.). My hospital is not one of those super expensive ones like Makati Med or Medical City, but still it is a major private hospital. I got a suite because I wanted two "watchers": my husband and a nanny to cover for him when he needs to take a break. I did bring my own comfy pillows, warm soft blankets, and fine silverware from home, my favorite brand of pads, and also other things that I'm used to at home, such as my tray, laptop, broadband, facebook and skype.

I and my two kids are covered under my husband's HMO insurance thru his employer here in the Philippines. The entire monthly premium is paid by his employer. We do not pay a single cent (no co-pays) for doctor's visits, lab work and ER with accredited hospitals. When my son got dengue recently, we went to the ER, and got the large private room that was covered by my husband's insurance. Upon check out, we paid, believe it or not, PhP0.92!

I do pay for my epilepsy med, Lamictal, as it is not covered by insurance. It's PhP70 per tablet. But with a 30% discount card from the manufacturer, I pay only around PhP49 for the first 62 tablets. (Compare that to US$5+ per tablet when you don't have insurance.)

Hospital such as Makati Med, Medical City, and St. Luke's have very expensive rates. Before I gave birth, I asked Medical City for their rates, and they said they have a package for around PhP80K for a 5-day stay, and that will already include operating room fees. OB and anaesthesiologist not included. But that is just the ward, which you share with 4 other people.

When it comes to childbirth in a hospital, I think my hospital in the US (one of the top 50), was a lot lot better when it comes to service, even if you compare it with expensive hospitals here in the Philippines. They even attach a security device on our baby's umbillical cord stump, so we were to steer clear of exit points when we bring our child outside our room, as it could trigger an alarm and bring hospital security in a few seconds, and police in less than 3 minutes. (In the Philippines, there are many instances of newborns stolen from their parents at the hospital, which could be avoided if only they attach this device.)

To morefuninthephilippines, if it costs a lot more to buy your meds here in the Philippines than in Australia, and if you can have your family or friends in Australia to buy it for you, then just buy it there and then pay for shipping. You might cut some of the cost of your meds. If that is not possible, ask your neurologist if the brand you're taking offers a discount card. You can also ask your neurologist here if she has free samples of your med.

yes, good points - only issue is here for expats they dont get the HMO cover your family recieves from your husband's company. But what is the discount card you are talking about? who issues this? Governement or Private?

morefuninthephilippines wrote:

yes, good points - only issue is here for expats they dont get the HMO cover your family recieves from your husband's company. But what is the discount card you are talking about? who issues this? Governement or Private?

I'm sure that there are health insurance companies can provide coverage to foreigners.  The question is whether the discount or free services you get are worth the premiums.

About the discount card, mine is issued by Glaxo Smith Kline, the manufacturer of Lamictal. If you're taking the same med as I am taking, ask your neurologist here how to apply for a discount card. If it's a different med, ask her if that manufacturer has one.

The GSK 30% monthly discount applies only for the first 62 tablets purchased for the month.

Good luck with your family. Have fun taking care of your baby.

FilAmericanMom,

"Here in the Philippines, my total hospital cost including the doctor's fees for a c-section was around PhP130K+ (less than my US$3000 co-pay).

Geetings FilAmericanMom, your and morefuninthephilippines post here about medical are very informative....

I would like to ask you, if you don't mind, about why the cesarean section? From your discussion of SF hospital in the USA it sounds as if your first delivery was a normal delivery there in SF.

I'm sure others are curious, and thus someone has got to ask...I'll be the sacrificial lamb, that braves the potential blow back fury today...:)

You also stated,

""Hospital such as Makati Med, Medical City, and St. Luke's have very expensive rates.""

I am assuming these are private hospitals, that possibly cater to more upscale patients? 

A value question... are the rates higher because of comfort of facilities, or, are their rates higher because of higher end  credentialed Doctors. By this I mean Doc's from the higher caliber Medical schools, often credentialed in First World medical training programs. That is, Philippino's who go to Europe, and the USA et al, for training and then return to the Philippines for practice. 

When I say a "value question" it's really more of a value judgment question, where judgment has a role to play too, there's a "grapevine feel*" to lots of things in life, and hospitals are no exception.

Like the song "heard it in the grapevine" there is lots of useful information there, for the discerning or informed listener.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Ramblingroads.

Ramblingroads wrote:

FilAmericanMom,

"Here in the Philippines, my total hospital cost including the doctor's fees for a c-section was around PhP130K+ (less than my US$3000 co-pay).

Geetings FilAmericanMom, your and morefuninthephilippines post here about medical are very informative....

I would like to ask you, if you don't mind, about why the cesarean section? From your discussion of SF hospital in the USA it sounds as if your first delivery was a normal delivery there in SF.

I'm sure others are curious, and thus someone has got to ask...I'll be the sacrificial lamb, that braves the potential blow back fury today...:)

You also stated,

""Hospital such as Makati Med, Medical City, and St. Luke's have very expensive rates.""

I am assuming these are private hospitals, that possibly cater to more upscale patients? 

A value question... are the rates higher because of comfort of facilities, or, are their rates higher because of higher end  credentialed Doctors. By this I mean Doc's from the higher caliber Medical schools, often credentialed in First World medical training programs. That is, Philippino's who go to Europe, and the USA et al, for training and then return to the Philippines for practice. 

When I say a "value question" it's really more of a value judgment question, where judgment has a role to play too, there's a "grapevine feel*" to lots of things in life, and hospitals are no exception.

Like the song "heard it in the grapevine" there is lots of useful information there, for the discerning or informed listener.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Ramblingroads.

Yes Ramblingroads, Makati Med (where I gave birth) and St Lukes are more upscale hospitals providing greater comfort and higher Doctor levels. But from what Ive learnt most if not all hopitals here all charge for each and every item used for your stay - right down to syringes. My Husband has a friend in Cavite who was recently involved in a serious motorbike accident (the other passenger died) and he arrived at the hospital at 3am but was not seen to until 9:30pm the following evening. Because of the lack of staff they deal w near fatalies first (gunshots etc) So you have the choice of the more expensive, or the cheaper but not knowing when or what sort or medical treatment you may recieve. Even in this case the guy was face with a 1.2 million peso bill, and that is a provicinal hospital.
I think by most standards in first world countries the Philippines is expensive because the Government does not seem to offer any subsidies to the general masses. We are very lucky in Australia where treatment is free and medicine is priced very cheap because of the Government.
Basically,expats need to be aware that medical here is expensive and health care cover is certainly a must... the trick is weaving your way through the medical lingo to make sure you are fully covered.

Ramblingroads wrote:

I'm replying to this question to share my experiences especially to soon to be first time moms.

For my second pregnancy, I had placenta previa totalis, which means the baby's placenta was blocking the birth canal. C-section was necessary.

My first child's birth in SF was also by c-section. I wanted to have natural child birth, and took a class on child birth preparation, child care and infant CPR. (I highly recommend McMoyler Method seminars on child birth preparation.) But the pregnancy developed complications. The baby who was already full term had to come out. If labor was induced to have natural child birth, there was a chance the baby would acquire pneumonia. No matter how much I would have wanted to give birth naturally, the baby's health and safety was always top priority. So my husband and I decided on c-section. I gave birth to a healthy beautiful baby.

Ramblingroads wrote:

Medical Centers consist of two parts: doctors' offices and hospital. I don't know if just because a doctor holds clinic at one of these high end hospitals, it means he's better.

My experience with my first child's first pediatrician at St. Luke's, one of the high-end hospitals: The doctor checked his mouth and gums. He noticed a dark bluish discoloration on the gums. He said this could be a "mole" and needs to be checked. He referred us to another doctor the same day at St. Luke's, who said she recommends taking a biopsy, i.e. that our son be sedated and undergo surgery to take a sample. What?!!!

We were terrified at first. But we remembered that, at our son's check ups in San Francisco, his pediatrician told us not to be alarmed about these discolorations as these are teething bruises created by the pressure on the gums' blood vessels by a tooth coming out, and that these discolorations will eventually disappear after the tooth comes out.

How would such doctors at St. Luke's miss the fact that the "moles" were symmetrical, one on each side of the mouth, and right behind the last tooth that erupted? It makes me shiver to think that our then one and a half year old son could have been in a great deal of pain and traumatized by such an unneccesary procedure. We never went to that pediatrician again. By the way, the discolorations did disappear after the teeth underneath came out.

With regards to better quality medical services at these expensive hospitals, all I can say is, they'd better have high quality services, for the price patients are paying. I have been to Medical City in Ortigas for 3D ultrasound. They do have a nice lobby / reception area that had the feel of a hotel and a spa on one of the floors. I haven't been admitted at these expensive hospitals or gone to their ER. So, I can't really say whether they're worth the price.

Yes Ramblingroads, Makati Med (where I gave birth) and St Lukes are more upscale hospitals providing greater comfort and higher Doctor levels. But from what Ive learnt most if not all hopitals here all charge for each and every item used for your stay - right down to syringes. My Husband has a friend in Cavite who was recently involved in a serious motorbike accident (the other passenger died) and he arrived at the hospital at 3am but was not seen to until 9:30pm the following evening. Because of the lack of staff they deal w near fatalies first (gunshots etc) So you have the choice of the more expensive, or the cheaper but not knowing when or what sort or medical treatment you may recieve. Even in this case the guy was face with a 1.2 million peso bill, and that is a provicinal hospital.
I think by most standards in first world countries the Philippines is expensive because the Government does not seem to offer any subsidies to the general masses. We are very lucky in Australia where treatment is free and medicine is priced very cheap because of the Government.
Basically,expats need to be aware that medical here is expensive and health care cover is certainly a must... the trick is weaving your way through the medical lingo to make sure you are fully covered.

The general rule at ER's both here and in America is those with worse conditions get treated first. Back in the US, I had a medical emergency. Paramedics gave first aid, brought me to the ER. It took over 2 hours before I got seen by a doctor (and this was at one of the top hospitals in SF). I really didn't mind. I was already seated on a bed. And there were others who definitely should be given priority over me.

With serious vehicular accidents or medical emergencies, sure the more expensive hospitals might have better service. But one also has to consider traffic conditions and distances before giving instructions as to which hospital to be taken to.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

The general rule at ER's both here and in America is those with worse conditions get treated first. Back in the US, I had a medical emergency. Paramedics gave first aid, brought me to the ER. It took over 2 hours before I got seen by a doctor (and this was at one of the top hospitals in SF). I really didn't mind. I was already seated on a bed. And there were others who definitely should be given priority over me.

With serious vehicular accidents or medical emergencies, sure the more expensive hospitals might have better service. But one also has to consider traffic conditions and distances before giving instructions as to which hospital to be taken to.

ok,thats great. But my post isnt about US v.s PH its just letting people know what to expect here.If we want to go there the U.S certainly by no means has any kind of steller reputation in that area. You just seem to keep comparing to the US and how it is similar to that, but im not trashing it, im simply stating this is what you can expect here. Its also not a judgement but more explaining to new expats what to expect in different places, different hospitals within the Philippines in general.I was completly shocked the way things worked here regarding medical/ hospital treatment and medicines and had never experienced that before. We dont need to justify it saying "but in the U.S..." its ok to just talk about what it is here, as it is. 
Maybe you are happy to wait to be treated, thats great, but thats not what Im talking about... Im simply talking to EXPATS (not Filippine born people who live in the US for a while and return back to their home country) to know what to expect.

ok,thats great. But my post isnt about US v.s PH its just letting people know what to expect here.If we want to go there the U.S certainly by no means has any kind of steller reputation in that area. You just seem to keep comparing to the US and how it is similar to that, but im not trashing it, im simply stating this is what you can expect here. Its also not a judgement but more explaining to new expats what to expect in different places, different hospitals within the Philippines in general.I was completly shocked the way things worked here regarding medical/ hospital treatment and medicines and had never experienced that before. We dont need to justify it saying "but in the U.S..." its ok to just talk about what it is here, as it is. 
Maybe you are happy to wait to be treated, thats great, but thats not what Im talking about... Im simply talking to EXPATS (not Filippine born people who live in the US for a while and return back to their home country) to know what to expect.

And you seem to be comparing Australia's free medical service to the Philippine's hospital system.

I am Philippine born, and I lived in the US for several years, and then I returned home. I may not be an expat right now, but still, I experienced being an expat. And I do have a husband who is an American expat living with me here in the Philippines. And I can speak on his behalf.

I'm just saying, that for those who came from the US, who pay for medical services, they might be surprised about the detailed itemization which you mentioned. My US-born husband wondered when he received the hospital bill for being admitted for pneumonia, "Here in the Philippines, why am I being charged for every little thing that was used? The hospital is so barat and kuripot." But then he thought about it, and said, maybe it's really not different from where he came from, that everything used is actually charged to the patient, (to whom is it going to be initially charged anyways?) or maybe even padded, although it's not itemized except perhaps when requested, and that he never really paid attention to it since all of it, except for a fixed co-pay is paid for by insurance.

There's nothing wrong to share info and views.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

And you seem to be comparing Australia's free medical service to the Philippine's hospital system.

I am Philippine born, and I lived in the US for several years, and then I returned home. I may not be an expat right now, but still, I experienced being an expat. And I do have a husband who is an American expat living with me here in the Philippines. And I can speak on his behalf.

I'm just saying, that for those who came from the US, who pay for medical services, they might be surprised about the detailed itemization which you mentioned. My US-born husband wondered when he received the hospital bill for being admitted for pneumonia, "Here in the Philippines, why am I being charged for every little thing that was used? The hospital is so barat and kuripot." But then he thought about it, and said, maybe it's really not different from where he came from, that everything used is actually charged to the patient, (to whom is it going to be initially charged anyways?) or maybe even padded, although it's not itemized except perhaps when requested, and that he never really paid attention to it since all of it, except for a fixed co-pay is paid for by insurance.

There's nothing wrong to share info and views.

No I agree, I just think you are taking what Im saying as Im attacking or critizing the Philippines system, and comparing it to the US in saying it isnt that bad. At the end of the day its just important for people to know these things- so discussion is good.

Does anyone know the cost of Depo provera shot here?

Of course you should expect to pay more out of pocket in the Philippines for meds than in Australia, where the taxes of your parents and grandparents fund a national health system.  Marginal tax rate of 40% once you hit $90,000 of income.

Does anyone know the cost of Depo provera shot here?

Ask your neurologist (or maybe your OB/GYn) how much it would cost to  inject including the fee for the service, if there's one.  After asking her, ask other doctors for their fees. Maybe you can get it cheaper from another doctor.

mugtech wrote:

Of course you should expect to pay more out of pocket in the Philippines for meds than in Australia, where the taxes of your parents and grandparents fund a national health system.  Marginal tax rate of 40% once you hit $90,000 of income.

Yeah, Australia is lucky like that. Our taxes mostly go to such provisions. But despite that, here there is still corruption which expands the cost of medicine again. I feel so sad for those with serious medical conditions who really cant afford to look after themselves :(

FilAmericanMom wrote:

You don't seem to be getting her point. She's not really comparing. She's contrasting the similarities and differences in the health care delivery system between the two countries. After all, we are expatriates. We deal with things that are foreign to us, and we normally think of how different or similar they are to our "native" experiences.

Furthermore, your passport is the best indication of your citizenship. If she's originally a Filipina and now a holder of an American passport, then technically she's an expatriate too, like you claim yourself to be. Perhaps a simple upload of your personal photo would verify your identity (or nationality), since you made it an issue.

And lastly, no one here is negating your experience. FilAmericanMom was just sharing her experience and what she knows. Perhaps you can take it as guidance or reference to thoroughly think through of the health care you ought to  "procure", rather than being (quite frankly) reactive.

Excuse my candidness. I hope I don't cause you seizure.

Cheers!

For your medicine, it would seem to make sense to have it purchased in Australia and then sent to you in the PI.

Ponani wrote:

For your medicine, it would seem to make sense to have it purchased in Australia and then sent to you in the PI.

I agree

mugtech wrote:
Ponani wrote:

I agree

Yes when I am able to go there I stock up, but as far as postage goes its not so easy.

gonzrule wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:

You don't seem to be getting her point. She's not really comparing. She's contrasting the similarities and differences in the health care delivery system between the two countries. After all, we are expatriates. We deal with things that are foreign to us, and we normally think of how different or similar they are to our "native" experiences.

Furthermore, your passport is the best indication of your citizenship. If she's originally a Filipina and now a holder of an American passport, then technically she's an expatriate too, like you claim yourself to be. Perhaps a simple upload of your personal photo would verify your identity (or nationality), since you made it an issue.

And lastly, no one here is negating your experience. FilAmericanMom was just sharing her experience and what she knows. Perhaps you can take it as guidance or reference to thoroughly think through of the health care you ought to  "procure", rather than being (quite frankly) reactive.

Excuse my candidness. I hope I don't cause you seizure.

Cheers!

WOW. Take some time to read a full post next time instead of copy and paste, but I wouldn't expect any less from someone who shows such ignorance. :) That comment is really astounding.

Everything I wrote is genuine (and positively heartfelt). I can say the same thing about your "work" except that you need a little more self-restraint.

gonzrule wrote:

Everything I wrote is genuine (and positively heartfelt). I can say the same thing about your "work" except that you need a little more self-restraint.

Im sorry but if saying "I hope I dont cause you a seizure" is heartfelt and genuine then I have genuinely feel sorry for what type of person you must be to say such things.
Im only on here trying to write about my experiences to only find people take things on a negative way and start arguments. Im really not sure if its worth my time trying to help others about what to expect as an expat. I thought this would help me with my homesickness and help others.

gonzrule you are a [Moderated] ,Sorry to say.With a big chip on you're shoulder,Think before you type.

Hi all - can we please keep it cool and get back to the initial topic

Maximilien wrote:

Hi all - can we please keep it cool and get back to the initial topic

EXCELLENT IDEA

Agreed.

Amen!

From what I saw in the Philippines, the health care system is in need of improvement.  If I lived there I would most assuredly get as many medications from home as possible.

MiaCulpa wrote:

From what I saw in the Philippines, the health care system is in need of improvement.  If I lived there I would most assuredly get as many medications from home as possible.

I totally agree, if you have long term medications stock up on as much as possible! when I return to Australia I stock up,but its not always possible. Another thing you may find difficult (for women) is birth control. Its still not widely accepted and brands are limited.

hi to morefuninthephilipines you are 100% correct.
my wife deliver our first baby her bill was 128 thousand c-s,  and beside outside hospitals medicine need to buy about 15k.  we was shocked when the bill arrived to find we are required to pay for absolutley every single thing that was used for my wife in that time. Everything from needles,tissue,pillows,sheet rental, plate washing,bed cleaning,room cleaning,  250 peso daily  cost for baby to shower and so on.......