Doing it Right This Time

Well after spending over two months in Quito I wanted to stay but due to family issues we had to return to Denver. I had brought along all the docs that I thought I needed complete with notaries and apostilles. Well it wasn't until I got back to Denver that I realized that my Social Security letter was not exactly right. What I mean is that it still needed to be certified by the Ecuadorian Consulate. That means I would still  have had to come back anyway regardless of family issues. So my wife and I drove the 900 miles to our servicing EC consulado in Phoenix AZ. Got it done ! Now I am waiting for a few more docs to show up in the mail and I'll be set.

Saludos
Ray

Good luck, Ray. I am in the process right now, too. Please keep us informed about any quirks in the system that you come across, and I'll do the same.

Bob

Thanks Bob, will do.

Ray

Please, dont get translations! They refuse translations that are no made in Ecuador.
Get it notarized by ecuadorian notary.
Dont forget the FBI report not older than 90 days.
Check that your names are correctly spell it in all your paperwork. Need to be spell it the same way in every doc.
Sign using blue ink, please.
Get several full color copies.

goodlifeinecuador.wordpress.com

Ray,
Sorry to hear of the SNAFU on the SS letter. It is the only doc you must get approved by the EC consulate in the US. In my case, they affixed two small seals on it. I'd had it notarized prior to presenting it, and they did translate it there. It was the only doc I had translated in the US. I actually think it is required, but you'll find out at the time from the consulate.
I won't even comment again on the statement you need the FBI report.
Good Luck to you and the bride on your transition, and hope all is well with the rest of your family.
Stay Well,
Neil

Thinking back two yrs ago i had to have all my spanish redone they thought they would not like my spanish funny.   also there are dates on the papers or doc and they do expire i am not sure but i think it is ninety days then you have to get them redated or redone not sure....
They use to want everything notartized maybe they dont do that any more
Oh one friend on her birth certicate she never noticed her fathers name was not down on it.
And hername was spelled incorrectly wow...little but important to cedula card.

Neil
They did in fact translate the SS letter and put two little rectangular foil stickers on it and charged me $40 and then sent us on our way with their blessings. :)  This time I have hired an attorney in Cuenca to handle the process.  The good thing is that I don't pay him until it's all done, visa and cedula ! All I have to do is get my docs with notaries and apostilles. He'll handle the rest.

Saludos
Ray

rayjones50 wrote:

This time I have hired an attorney in Cuenca to handle the process.  The good thing is that I don't pay him until it's all done, visa and cedula ! All I have to do is get my docs with notaries and apostilles. He'll handle the rest.

Ray: If you don't mind saying, what will the attorney cost?

For anyone that needs help with paper work  gringotree.com/cuenca/directory/premium/legal-advisor-accountants/