Living in Loja or Macara

Hi everyone,

I'm new on this forum. My husband and 4 year old daughter and I are currently living in Peru. We've been here 2 years and are looking for our next adventure. We're thinking Ecuador is going to be it!

I wanted to ask about cities like Macara and Loja. Anyone live there/traveled through there that can tell me about it. We did visit Macara briefly (crossing the border to extend our Peru visas) and thought it was a really cute, quiet border town. We are looking to stay the full 90 days (then move on) and are looking for moderate accomodations. Right now we are living on $300 USD a month and that includes everything. Is it possible to live close to that in Ecuador?

I appreciate any help/advice/suggestions all you Ecuadorian experts have!

Thanks,
Peg

Peg, You might want to check out a blog called "Living in Loja" The lady that writes it goes into great detail about life in that part of Ecuador. $300 Dollars a month seems very low but maybe someone else can help you with that. Good Luck!

imagatto2 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm new on this forum. My husband and 4 year old daughter and I are currently living in Peru. We've been here 2 years and are looking for our next adventure. We're thinking Ecuador is going to be it!

I wanted to ask about cities like Macara and Loja. Anyone live there/traveled through there that can tell me about it. We did visit Macara briefly (crossing the border to extend our Peru visas) and thought it was a really cute, quiet border town. We are looking to stay the full 90 days (then move on) and are looking for moderate accomodations. Right now we are living on $300 USD a month and that includes everything. Is it possible to live close to that in Ecuador?

I appreciate any help/advice/suggestions all you Ecuadorian experts have!

Thanks,
Peg

You must be living under an overpass and eating road kill to live that cheap.