Salary in cameroon / Cost of living ???

Hello everyone! :)

I would like to enquire about salaries in Cameroon. I might be going to work in Yaounde in January for 3-4 months.

Is 400, 000 XAF / CFA a lot of money in Yaounde Cameroon?

Could i live an ok life on 400,000 XAF (CFA) per month ???

Any information on cost of living with be great.. :)

Thanks
Barry Jackson.

Hello Barry,
this is a very difficult question and that's probably why nobody answered yet. a "good" salary is a very subjective conclusion. it depends for which job and to what you compare.

let's just say that it's above the average camerounian salary but way bellow the average salary a foreigner would usually get. so if your planning on living in the nicest and safest neigborhood, forget it. you need tree time that just to pay the rent. buying a cheap car will cost you six months of that salary. Credit is almost non existant and when you find it rates are between 15 and 20%.

but if you planning living with the average Camerounian it's a good pay. you can get a one bedroom for 50.000 and transport by taxi should cost you more that 1000 fr/day. a good meal 2000. a cheap one half that price.

so you can save some if you don't start hunting camerounian women. in that case it all depends on how tough you can be but that's a whole different subjet.

as I said, "good" depends on your expectancies.

Good luck and enjoy your experience.

I think Frangin gave you a good answer.

What I will add is that, you will not be able to save much on that salary. Focus on enjoying the culture and have a wonderful experience.

If you have time, visit the coastal regions and stay in any of the seaside hotels.

Find time to travel and see the country. I have never rented cars but I am sure they can be very expensive. If you do, be safe on the roads.

Enjoy and be safe.

Hai Friends,
Good Day,
I had received a job offer in Cameroon Africa and the salary stated a 2000USD.and I am planning to relocate with my family(Wife and a daughter). Can anyone advice whether Cameroon is safe place to stay with family and the salary offer is good.
Expecting valuable reply.

Sorry for the long delay in the reply Kajini,
2000USD is around 1 millions CFA. for a camerounian it's above average but it's also lower than the average salary in the US. where you're coming from and what is the position is important on defining wether it's a good deal or not. also what extras are included? (housing, vehicule, expense account etc).

cameroon a mostly safe except around the nigerian border (kidnappings of europeens by nigerians have occured).

Maybe you're already in cameroon? if so by now you already have the answers to your questions...

welcome and good luck.