Some Questions

Hello All,

I just signed up to Expat.com after reading for 2 days. I Probably move soon from Holland to Malta as i'm trough to the last round of a job application. A good time to start sorting thing out.

First of all my biggest question is will 1100 euros in a month be enough for living in Malta? I think it's able to live with this ammount of money but it should be hard.

2. I read some things about importing furniture etc into Malta. The most things i have at home i will throw away or sell and the most other things will fit in 2 suitcases and hand luggage. The only thinks that should be shipped is my TV and PC. Is it better to ship or send with UPC? And do i need to pay the € 1200 euros i read about in this forum for importing these 2 things?

3. Does anyone know a good rent agency? I prefer a furnished house with washing machine and including gas, water, electricity, tv and internet. I just found only one till now.

4. Does anyone know if you can apply for a work permit at the embassy or do i have to travel to Malta for this permit?

This are the first and probably not the last questions i have. :-)

Hi,

Question 1: To be honest it would be difficult to live on 1100 € in Malta especially if you want a furnished house. Depending on where you rent you can expect to pay 250,- to 450,-€ for a small apartment and about 100,- € for utilities,TV and Internet.

Question 4: When you have signed your work contract you can apply for the work permit through the ETC in Malta. As a EU citizen you can also do it by mail. For EU citizens it is granted automatically within 1 week but you should not start work before you have the permit.All the details are available at the ETC website.

Question 2 : As you are coming from a EU country your furniture can be imported free of charge.The 1200,- € is charged as a deposit if you come from outside the EU.Shipping a TV to Malta will probably mean that you have to pay a TV tax though!

Good luck

Ricky

I'm going to disagree a tiny bit with Ricky on the 1100 - it really depends on your lifestyle, and if it's just you or you'll be supporting a family. Many people make less than 1100 and do just fine, but you'll have to be choosy about your accommodation, your use of utilities, your lifestyle and if you will have a car. If you are willing to live outside the touristy zone your rental dollar goes much, much farther. I have a friend renting a 2 bedroom furnished in St. Paul's Bay for 200 Euros a month (plus utilities)

If you want to use a rental agency, again, you'll have to be choosy as many of the big names (Frank Salt, Dahlia) seem like they are really are looking to upsell you and they told me they really only work with places that are over 600 Euros (this may have been a fib). I would recommend Joe at Urban Homes and a guy named Ivan +356 7780 7141. Both of these guys really worked within my budget, listened to what I was asking for and showed me a range of price options, not just higher and higher and higher...

Thank you Sarafima and Ricky :-)

I know 1100 euros is very low to live but, i'm alone, don't have children, don't have a car and doesn't need a big house at all. As long as i can live my dream. I prefer to live in Gzira, Msida or Sliema.

I will contact Urban Homes or Ivan when i know more about my job. Does anyone has experience with Remax?

My employer recommended against remax, but no personal experience

Thank you Sarafima.

Does anyone knows something about the tax structure? I'll tried to find out today and i think i get it but i'm not sure.

An example to show what i counted today we take 20k as an example salary:

first 8500 are free of tax
next 6000 is 15% tax remains 5100
next 5000 is 25% tax remains 3750
next 500 is 35% tax remains 325

Total remaining: 17675

Is this correct? Or don't i understand it ;)

looks about right - there are then social security contributions to deduct.

georgeingozo wrote:

looks about right - there are then social security contributions to deduct.

Great thank you :-) that's more salary than the first 1100 ;-)
Do you know how much the security contributions are? And what about the 7% or 8% health contribution i read about?

Do you know how much the security contributions are? And what about the 7% or 8% health contribution i read about? = same thing

Hello Roel, I'm also from Holland! I have send you à private message in Dutch, so I can explain myself better.

Hi Biet!

Welcome on Expat.com :)

Armand

Thnx! :)

from 1st may you dont need a work permit if your EU

as for living on 110o euro a month on your own id say yes you can albeit with careful management of it

yes id say your understanding of tax here is about right

then the NI contributions generally will work out at either 10%  or a minimum of 25 euros a week.

But if i have a contract with a company, i need to pay that taxes? The company does not pay it for me?

Look at the contract . It depends on what you agreed on.

Ricky