Moving house Philippines - Bare or Furnished? (P.2)

So, you found your new place - negotiated some great terms and you are ready to go?
Great!
If you are moving into a furnished home (most expats option) then its a fairly simple matter of unpacking your suitcase.. However, if you are looking to be here for some time I recommend furnishing the place by yourself.
I know it seems a little daunting, but trust me it will save you alot off the rent and you get to make it your own. And after you are here for some time,you will realise having a sancutary to come home to is a very important thing.
( You will soon learn what that means);)

After all my hours and hours of work, I can hand to you on a silver platter the tips for great furniture finds that I've used:

1. scbcenterprises-com.webs.com these guys make most of their own stuff, some shipped in. The shop is an overstuffed warehouse and hot! so take a bottle of water and a hand fan
That said,I got some great deals from these guys (plus they deliver)
I bought a 3 peice brand new sofa, queen size brand new (spring) bed and a brand new tv cabinet for only 12,000 php ($280 usd)all up!

Don't be mistaken to think its poor quality (its decent) - and that they dont understand English,(they do) - so negiotate the hell out of them!
These guys will do 50% deposit and 50% on delivery usually.

2. lazada.com.ph
These guys I was really happy with, I ordered 3 products on Friday and they were delievered Monday afternoon. You pay cash on delivery so no risks. They don't have furniture so much, its more home decor.

3. sulit.com.ph
This site can be good and seems to be the most popular but you need to know the right tag words. Example: If I type in: furnitures instead of furniture I get double the search results. Some of the wording on what they call things here are different, and many of the sellers have no idea and dont post things in the right catergory or have incorrect spelling and wont come up at all - try writing dinning table and check the results!
Keep in mind you usually have to "meet up" (at a mall etc) with the person.

4.Japanese Surplus
This one is a little harder,but if you have a friend who speaks Tagalog I recommend taking them along - if you dont then skip this option. These are the "secondhand" shops but most are totally overfilled and requires some time. Most of the employees dont speak alot of English.Plus, they will tend to give you higher prices being a foreigner becuase there are no price tags. My husband(Pinoy) gets great deals but I never get to go with him. :rolleyes:

Ive been to Greenhills several times, and have picked up some beautiful hand-made pieces - but shop around alot of them will overprice. Ask "Magkano?" (how much)if its too dear say "Mahal!" (expensive) they change their tune with one Tagalog word as they then think you are one of the long -term foriegners!

Avoid the "Home" style store mall shopping - they are completly overpriced and crap!
There are hundreds of small furniture business stores here, where products are handmade and they will negotiate.
If you are in to wood carved peices I recommend a drive to Tagtay (bring a truck!!!)

It can really be a fun experience and you can find some unique items here in the Philippines.

Does anyone else have recommendations for furniture / home decor?

for home decors, you can also try Tiendesitas or Dapitan. For wood carved pieces it's still best in Paete, Laguna.

ishar18 wrote:

for home decors, you can also try Tiendesitas or Dapitan. For wood carved pieces it's still best in Paete, Laguna.

yes! Tiendestitas! how did i forget that one???? some beautigul pieces there!