Registering a birth in the Philippines

Hi,

About to have a baby or already had children? Let's share your experience about the paperworks for registering a birth in the Philippines.

What are the formalities to obtain a birth certificate?

What is the procedure to follow if both parents are of the same nationality or for a mixed couple?

Thank you in advance for participating,

David

For my second child, I gave birth in a private hospital in Quezon City in the Philippines. The hospital staff took care of submitting the form for registering my child's birth, and filled in info such as time of birth, weight at birth, name of doctor, etc.  In addition to asking what name we're giving our child, the staff also asked for personal info from my husband and me, such as our full names, age, nationality, among others. They made us double check all the info before submitting the form to make sure that there are no misspellings.

I think the hospital submitted the form to city hall, who in turn reported it to the National Statistics Office, which is the department that issues an official birth certificate. One can get an official copy of the birth certificate a few weeks later for a small fee. So after around a month after our child's birth, I placed an order for a copy of her birth certificate via phone, and I received it around 5 days later via courier.

Both my husband and I are American citizens. We procrastinated in reporting our child's birth at the US Embassy. She was close to 3 years old when we decided to have her birth reported. We downloaded and completed the documents checklist and forms from the Embassy's website. We scheduled an appointment / interview online. Slots were full. We got a date for 2 months later (or was it 3 months?).

The interview was quick. The somewhat hard part of the application process was gathering up required documents such as prenatal records, ultrasounds, progressive photos of our child, etc. And we often got lost on our way back home from the Embassy to Quezon City. At one time, we took the wrong bridge ended up going to Sta. Cruz up to Malacanan Palace. Another time, we took the other wrong bridge and ended up at Manila Chinatown.

@FilAmericanMom - thank you for sharing your story and information :)

I am an Australian female and my partner is Pinoy (Filipino) we are not married. I gave birth at Makati Medical. They took care of the birth certificate, my husband only had to check it - we signed it and then my husband submitted it to the NSO. They say it takes 2 months for them to process but apparently that is normal. They give you a temporary cert in the meantime, but you cant use it for any official submissions. We wanted to make our daughter an Australian Citizen by descent, but had to wait for the official paperwork. There ended up being delays with the birth cert and by 3 months we had it. Here, every time you use a birth cert as a submission, it must be an original - they don't accept photocopies that are witnessed by a Justice of the Peace. I think its about 500 php every time you need a birth cert for something. (reserve a full day for that, the lines are usually hideous!)
We then downloaded the forms from the Australian Government website, gathered all the documents and submitted them to the Australian Embassy in Makati. Less than a 2 weeks later they informed me it was ready. Really simple and easy.
We then went to get passports. We wanted dual passports, but there came some weird issues.
In the Philippines the general way they have their names,is to have their first/given name, then their mothers maiden surname, then the fathers surname. They don't have "middle" names like the western  countries. My daughter however, carries a middle name (not my maiden surname) and her fathers surname.
So, on her birth cert my daughters name (example) is Jane Sarah Smith.
On her Australian Passport it says Jane Sarah Smith.
But on her Philippine passport it says Jane Thompson Smith.
I thought very odd, considering she has a Philippine birth cert - but its more fun in the Philippines!
So it doesn't matter what the childs actual name is, because it will be changed and that is ok? I don't really understand that, and I hope it never causes problems in the future, but that is their rules.
All up I found it time consuming and complicated from the Philippine end, and my daughter was born here. Just prepare yourself for long waits, unusual requirements or rules. The system here is all in paper and its easy for us expats to get crazy about it.
Just take a deep breath, relax. It is what it is, take a book (sorry iphone) a snack, and a drink and make a day of it :)

morefuninthephilippines wrote:

I think its about 500 php every time you need a birth cert for something. (reserve a full day for that, the lines are usually hideous!)

To avoid the long lines at the NSO, you can order birth certificates by phone through their hotline. Here's the link for instructions:

http://www.census.gov.ph/civil-registra … pline-plus

You still have to line up at the bank or other payment centers for the fee (less than PhP500) though, but it's a lot easier and less time consuming than going to the NSO in person. The certified copy will be delivered to your doorstep via courier.

P315 direct from NSO Manila, pay at the  bank they deliver to you by courer, go on line  at their web site  and  order there

Hi, my filipina partner is pregnant,  we will have our baby soon. We are not yet married because i'm legally separated but not yet divorced. I wanted to know if my situation could be a problem for registering the birth and apply for double citizenship. Thank you in advance

As we all know you do not have to be married to a person to have a baby, and this Philippines Government know as well, so there will be not change when you come to register your baby, for birth in Philippines, and she or her will be automatically Citizens of this Country, on the foram there is part for unmarried parents to be filled out, that is it.

Filipinos has middle name; they carry the surname of their mothers and last name of fathers as long as the parents are legally married; the exception happens when the child is married out of wedlock and not recognized by the alleged father;

A Copy of Birth Certificates from NSO now called PSA  is only more or less P140 unless you take the express lane;

The child gets the last name of the mother automatically if not legally married;

Upon birth the responsibility of registering the child birth rest upon the mid wife  or hospital where you gave birth; they can be sued if they do not register the birth within 24 hr from birth;

Thank you for the information, so if we are not married then our baby can't carry my surname or just in case the father doesn't reconize the paternity of the baby. i'm a little confused about that. I know there are others couple who had a baby and the child has the surname of the father also if they are not yet married.

carnin baby can have your name any thing you like baby to have as you are father, no one can remove this rights from you not even in philippines, as long you recognize you are the father of the baby, please it is not hard to do so so easy, do not be discharged by any of this, do your own reserch and you will know ins and outs.

so you know in philippines you can have what they call late registry of the birth, this can be done even some years after the birth, common here.

Hi, thanks again, yes i know it's possible to do late registry. Infact maybe i have to do that because i'll go to philippines in December due my job. I know there is the affidavit form to fill, i think i also have to do that when i'm already in philippines. So if i understood good there should be no problem for asking  the double passport even if we will do late registry and even if we are not married yet.

I did the same to my son, we had him late registered, the process take about 3 months to be finalised, it is not and we applied in 13th january 2018, all we have to do is go to main in Manila and pick the birth certificate, but make sure you have your baby registered in your own embassy, go to them and find out what you have to do, that way your baby can be dual citizen.

Do you mean it take 3 months just for getting the birth certificate? or for all included getting the double citizenship? Yes i know i have to go to my embassy for registering my baby, after that i think i should be able to apply for giving to my baby the italian citizenship

my case was not the same as yours, my son was born in Australia, and when we come here we had him late registered in Philippines so he can get his own Filipino passport if he chooses one day, but not now, so he is Filipino citizen as from 2 weeks ago.
your case is the same but the opposite to mine, but both the same. what i should have done got him register in Australia in Philippine embassy, it was much quicker and less expensive then here, everything you do in your own country is quicker than here.
why 3 months, because they had to send all paperwork back to Australia so everything can be confirmed, then send back to philippines embassy, it is only time consuming nothing more, and we all have plenty of time.
I believe in Italy will apply the same rules as to Australia, you have to prove it is your child, if not born in Italy, in Australia they need DNA from father and child, that way they know it is geuan child to father. because my son was born in Australia it was no questions about that.
Ciao

Ah ok, i understood. In my case the baby will born in Philippines but unluckly maybe i will not be there that time so i have to register him/her when i'll arrive in Philippines. I was just wondering how it will work the late birth registration considering it's mandatory for the hospital to report the birth just at the moment that it happens. I think also for italian embassy they will ask the DNA test for giving the citizenship.
Ciao,,, ;)

Your GF, needs to register your baby on your surname, there is a forms to be filed out for father to recognise a child, I am not sure of full details on this, but it will be very easy for your GF to find this out as she is in Philippines. best is to talk to her and get things orginase with her,

Ok, thank you. I think i should receive some papers to fill and sign it.

Registering with the PSA? Or consulate?

If you will do late registration for thr birth of the baby , u cannot get a passport of the baby. Coz the P.S.A birth certificate is one of the requirements in DFA. Department of foriegn affairs. This the goverment agency,, releasing passport here in philippines.

Do you mean that i can't get the passport of the baby until i do registration of the birth? Because i have to show the BC in DFA, or i can't have it at all if i will do late registration?

To all- The couple must be prepared to demonstrate to the hospital and registrar that using the middle name(s) of the mother is OPTIONAL and not the law here.  This is where locals will firmly tell you that the certificate must show the mom's middle name.  That is 100% wrong and this fact was clarified with the big mess in Italy when that government dropped all middle names on Phil OFW. 

The key document to get/show is:
Department of Justice issued Opinion No. 34 Series of 2011, which ruled that:

"use of middle name under Philippine law may be considered as only permissive and customary". 

This DOJ opinion makes it clear that the middle name/maiden name is a custom and not law.  Lastly, all expats in this situation should educate locals on the legal terms of "MAY" and "SHALL" and give Art. 370 as the final authority.  It reads:

Art. 370. A married woman may use:
      (1) Her maiden first name and surname and add her husband's surname, or
      (2) Her maiden first name and her husband's surname or
      (3) Her husband's full name, but prefixing a word indicating that she is his wife, such as "Mrs."

When we see option 2 above "(2) Her maiden first name and her husband's surname" that means the wife can use just her first name and her husband's surname only!!

If the couple are not married yet, here is what needs to be understood:

RA 9255 allows illegitimate children to use the surname of the father provided the latter signs off on the birth certificate of the child, makes a public declaration of paternity or acknowledgment, or signs an Authority to Use the Surname of the Father (AUSF).

Article 176 of the Family Code provides that the child whose surname is that of the mother cannot have the mother's middle name as well. That would make them siblings.

Reporting the Birth:
Remember, for US citizens, the Report of Birth abroad will use the US terms of Family name and completely allows for the traditional US middle name (a second first name) for the baby (not the mother's maiden name as the baby's name).

Factual Summary
Soooo, there is no law or requirement in the Philippines that your baby must have the mom's maiden name as the child's middle name.  All middle names in the Philippines for babies and moms comes under the legal term "may" and that makes it an option, since it is missing the term "shall", (which would have made it a requirement).

Hi,

I just want to ask how long does it usually takes to get a copy of authenticated birth certificate from PSA? I would like to apply for my daughter's passport. By the way, my daughter is just 8 months old and she's late registered.

Can anybody answer me? Some says its 6 to 8 months but most of the blogs i've searched is 3 month. Please help.

You may want to start here:  https://nsohelpline.ph/?gclid=EAIaIQobC … gLIoPD_BwE

My child has my last name there and my asawa last name for my my sons middle name ...all was easy for birth certicate ...mybe easy in the provinve ....

Hi All,

I need some help. We are going to have a baby soon.

In our country we don't have to put the mother's maiden last name as middle name of the child (in fact my family is against it - as it's not the norm)

On the other hand my wife is a Filipina and she insists that's the law. I contacted two different Meco offices and they said I needed to follow Filipino naming system. It seems other countries laws and customs don't mean anything. As long as one parent is Filipino , even if the birth is overseas, you are forced to follow Philippines' Spanish naming laws ? This doesn't seem right to me.

Any suggestions ? Is there a middle ground where we can both get what we want ?

I want the baby to have a simple first + last name. I don't mind if the baby has three names in the Philippines and according to their culture and law.

Just worried if as a dual citizen there might be problems in the future as the child will have different names in both passports ? Any one experienced with that ?

Thanks

Had two kids in samar i have my sons name then my asawa surname then my surname same same for my daughter if thats any help

@ da_gud_guy.....

Last year I posted this in the thread Registering a birth in the Philippines on the Philippines forum:

"To all- The couple must be prepared to demonstrate to the hospital and registrar that using the middle name(s) of the mother is OPTIONAL and not the law here.  This is where locals will firmly tell you that the certificate must show the mom's middle name.  That is 100% wrong and this fact was clarified with the big mess in Italy when that government dropped all middle names on Phil OFW. 

The key document to get/show is:
Department of Justice issued Opinion No. 34 Series of 2011, which ruled that:

"use of middle name under Philippine law may be considered as only permissive and customary". 

This DOJ opinion makes it clear that the middle name/maiden name is a custom and not law.  Lastly, all expats in this situation should educate locals on the legal terms of "MAY" and "SHALL" and give Art. 370 as the final authority.  It reads:

Art. 370. A married woman may use:
      (1) Her maiden first name and surname and add her husband's surname, or
      (2) Her maiden first name and her husband's surname or
      (3) Her husband's full name, but prefixing a word indicating that she is his wife, such as "Mrs."

When we see option 2 above "(2) Her maiden first name and her husband's surname" that means the wife can use just her first name and her husband's surname only!!

If the couple are not married yet, here is what needs to be understood:

RA 9255 allows illegitimate children to use the surname of the father provided the latter signs off on the birth certificate of the child, makes a public declaration of paternity or acknowledgment, or signs an Authority to Use the Surname of the Father (AUSF).

Article 176 of the Family Code provides that the child whose surname is that of the mother cannot have the mother's middle name as well. That would make them siblings."

I went on to post about US Citizens but that part of the post may not be needed in your situation.  However, I ended with the following summary:

"Factual Summary
Soooo, there is no law or requirement in the Philippines that your baby must have the mom's maiden name as the child's middle name.  All middle names in the Philippines for babies and moms comes under the legal term "may" and that makes it an option, since it is missing the term "shall", (which would have made it a requirement)."

The above are facts under Philippine laws and are not based on other countries.  Keep these legal references handy and work with the hospital staff education after you and your wife are in sync.  Don't wait until the birth process to educate the hospital.  Best wishes

Two of the most important legal aspects that can't be argued bear repeating:

1.  "Department of Justice issued Opinion No. 34 Series of 2011, which ruled that:

2.  "Article 176 of the Family Code provides that the child whose surname is that of the mother cannot have the mother's middle name as well. That would make them siblings."

Note: Even under International Hague laws, permissive customary equals optional "permitted & traditional" but not required by law.

@calif-native

Thank you so much for the detailed response. Sorry I couldn't give feedback soon. In fact not long after my last message we got busy with labor and long-story short we have a beautiful & healthy baby daughter now.

The information you provided here is gold, because I cannot find any other place on the internet where it is explained this well.

Also, to clarify, I am based in Taiwan and my baby was born in a Taiwaneses Hospital where they don't care what you want to write in English name section, which is just a single field "name".

I gave the baby just two names, a first name and a last name. In the next couple of days I will be going to the local Philippines Embassy to register. They have insisted in the past that they are required to include middle name as per Philippines law, but didn't say what they would do (or if they would refuse to register child born to a filipino parent) if I made sure there was no "middle name" on the birth certificate, and refused to change it.

Anyways, now I already have it, a birth certificate with no middle name. Let's see what they will do.
I plan to print all the references you have linked here and show it to them. Can't wait to see their response.

I will update everyone on how it goes, in case anyone else faces similar issue.

If they insist on a middle name you can use your wife's maiden name or my favorite middle name, Waitforit.

At da_gud_guy,
Congrats on a new healthy daughter, is the first order.  Thank you for the kind words regarding my post.  To even help one person makes it worth the post.  They will be shocked that you come armed with the truth/law and there will be little they can say, within the law, to counter your wishes. 

This is a topic I have had to deal with here because I'm the only member of my family that was never given a middle name and I get upset with so many here trying to take my mom's Madian name and make it my new middle name so the forms here would be considered complete. 

As long as you force them to show you the law they claim must be followed, they will come up empty but talk about traditions of Philippines.  It is hard for some here to deal with the differences in shall vs. may in this regard. 

I look forward to your future updates here.  Thanks for the feedback!

Regards