Top hiring sectors in Phuket

Hi,

let's talk about job opportunities in Phuket.

What are the top hiring sectors?

And according to you, what are the most promising job sectors, which will keep creating jobs in Phuket?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience,

Julien

There are lot of opportunities, for english speaking people.

I would dare to consider more the salary range as a key for jobs opportunities. Let say, when I voice my own salary (6 digits), I see doors closing faster than a lightning for the simple reason it is possible to hire an I.T. developper for half that cost.

So there is lot of opportunities, even in sector such as I.T., but most of them come with a basic salary (about 50 000 bht/month); and life is expensive here (about 25% more than in Bangkok) even if you do NOT indulge in Bangla Road or other places for sinners. Food (I speak thai food) is expensive (if you are used to thia price in other places), renting is also expensive (even by thai standard), transportations are like hell (dangerous and or expensive).

On the bright side, all my reasoning is based on my country standard : 30 % for housing / food; 30 % for saving, 30 % for living spending (such as clothes, hang out with friedns, sport club for kids, vacations ...), 10 % for extra. So, assuming you do not need to have saving (you already have and you are a quality guest in the Kingdom), then the 50K bhts are more than enought for a life of farniente.

Hi sting01,

Thank you for your contribution :)

Priscilla
Expat.com team

I echo the comments of Sting01 above... Phuket is incredibly expensive, it does have the ominous title as the most expensive place to live in Thailand afterall! I have lived here for 2 years but will be moving on to a new challenge in Vietnam come December..

From my experience, the bulk of expat jobs seem to be in the hospitality industry with many Hotels and Resorts seeking experienced expat managers.. Teaching English is also another popular option.

But when you compare it to your home country then Phuket is still cheaper.. you can live ok on a 50,000bht salary and save a little money if you do not have many outgoings.

Hello Xaviar84,

Thank you a lot for this sharing of information. :)

Priscilla
Expat.com team