Dog racing in Vung Tau

Hi all,

Some friends and I intend to go for dog racing in Vung Tau next weekend. Though many times to Vung Tau but have not tried to see this yet.

http://m.english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/spor … #ui=mobile

I am coming with some western friends. Can anyone advise on (i) the time (I did some search and ask around, heard that it will only open on Friday and Saturday night)? (ii) any number we should take notice for the race (wanna gain as much money as possible. Hehe)? (iii) how far from Bai Truoc (front beach) to the stadium? Any suggestion for a convenient to stay around there?

Thanks a lot!

And it would be great if anyone wants to join us :D:D:D

Are you talking about 2nd and 3rd Nov ?

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=Lam+Son+Stadium&fb=1&gl=au&hq=Lam+Son+Stadium&hnear=Lam+Son+Stadium&cid=0,0,15723009966318447871&ei=7BVqUtf6GrTC2gWnyICACw&ved=0CKsBEPwSMAs

Sounds fun. Is it held weekly?
Won't be in Vn till after new years.

Citsym wrote:

Are you talking about 2nd and 3rd Nov ?

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF- … KsBEPwSMAs

2 November actually, would arrive to VT around 3pm. :D

aibiet150204 wrote:

Hi all,

Some friends and I intend to go for dog racing in Vung Tau next weekend. Though many times to Vung Tau but have not tried to see this yet.

http://m.english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/spor … #ui=mobile

I am coming with some western friends. Can anyone advise on (i) the time (I did some search and ask around, heard that it will only open on Friday and Saturday night)? (ii) any number we should take notice for the race (wanna gain as much money as possible. Hehe)? (iii) how far from Bai Truoc (front beach) to the stadium? Any suggestion for a convenient to stay around there?

Thanks a lot!

Here's an answer to your questions:

i) Every Saturday at 19h00 (7 o'clock at night).   

Per http://www.yourlocalbooking.com/vietnam … g-tau.html

Every Saturday at 19.00. The only greyhound racing place in Vietnam. The only legal gambling place in Vietnam....During less that 1 minute 8 dogs running the track and the first one crossing the finish is a winner. ...All these allow it to reach average race speeds around 60 kilometres per hour...
It's situated at 15 Le Loi Street. This is the only Dog Racing Stadium in Vietnam. Races took place there every Saturday from 7 PM until 10 PM. Prices for tickets are more than reasonable: 30 000 VND – common area and 60 000 VND – VIP-zone. There are around 5 000 seats (including 500 in VIP zone). The minimal rate 50 000 VND. Not only locals visit Race, but expats and tourists too.

ii)  Up to you, but if it were up to me, I'd go for Number 1.http://www.thp.com.vn/resizer.php?max_width=90&max_height=429&imgfile=data/sanpham/1324375172_697.png

Per http://vietnam.vnanet.vn/vnp/en-us/13/2 … fault.aspx

Before choosing a dog to focus on, the fans are provided with a brochure with instructions on how to choose a potential winner. There are detailed introductions on each dog, from its good or bad past performances to its health and the last race it participated in. This information helps the fans calculate and consider before making a selection.

(iii) It is 300 meters from the Lam Sơn Dog Racing Stadium to Bãi Trước Beach "as the crow flies".  However, if you are arriving from Hồ Chí Minh via the Hydrofoil, then from the Hydrofoil Docks to the Dog Racing Stadium is about 1 kilometer.  Lê Lợi Street meets up with Quang Trung Road/Hạ Long Road (The coastal road) at a triangular park about 400 meters north of the Hydrofoil Docks.

Note that more popular swimming area, Bãi Sau Beach where many hotels are located, is undergoing a major stormwater drainage project and the beach is all dug up. 

That's it.  Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Trần Hưng Đạo Vũng Tàu Tourism.  We hope your stay is a pleasant one.  Remember "Please keep your hands, arms, and accessories inside the car and no flash photography. Thank you."
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071016000645/pixar/images/thumb/b/b1/Barbie.jpg/282px-Barbie.jpg
"We are so glad you came. Bye-bye. Bye-bye. Bye-bye. Bye-bye now. Bye. Bye-bye. Remember, please discard all candy wrappers and popcorn containers in the nearest trash receptacle. Thank you. Okay, bye-bye now. Bye-bye. Bye. Okay."

Thank you very much for the reponse, Mr. Trần Hưng Đạo Vũng Tàu Tourism :D

More questions just come up: (i) will they still have dog racing under rain? (we actually go to VT for dog racing and seafood in 1 day...); and (ii) have you tried it yet? Do the seats need to be booked before? I cant see far though aleady having glasses :D so is the VIP seat an ideal?

Thanks so much...

aibiet150204 wrote:

More questions just come up: (i) will they still have dog racing under rain? (we actually go to VT for dog racing and seafood in 1 day...); and (ii) have you tried it yet? Do the seats need to be booked before? I cant see far though aleady having glasses :D so is the VIP seat an ideal?

Thanks so much...

Ugh...I fell for the old trick.  If you do a good job, then more work gets piled on ya.  That's why workers just do lousy jobs...so they can just skim on by and collect the big paychecks.  If I initially just answered you "google it yourself", then you wouldn't have follow-up with these questions.  :P

But since you found my three answers to be useful to you, then I will have to bill you for my research services after I find the answers for your two additional questions.

(i) You actually answered this question yourself in your original post with the source link.  In that website, if you read further down, it actually says "Despite heavy rain, dogs always finish their race in the cheers of the audience" so this implies they don't cancel due to rain.  As the dogs also train to race in the water ("To create elegant gaits for dogs on the racetrack, they pump water into the racetrack to increase resistance to force dogs to run at their full speed."), they shouldn't have any problems running in the rain.  Finally, if the stadium shuts down due to rain, they'd wouldn't make any money during the rainy season, which is about half a calendar year in Southern Việt Nam, right?     

Although a weather "forecast" is not 100% accurate, per Accuweather.com forecast for Vũng Tàu on Saturday, November 2, 2013 calls for sunny skies during the day with 41% chance of rain but 59% chance of rain at night...so about 3 to 5 odds that it'll rain during the race.  Check back with that Accuweather website the closer you get to November 2 for up to date information.

(ii) I do not think you have to reserve the seats.  It's geared towards the average citizen, as it's one of the rare venues that allow legal gambling.  The average citizen usually shows up at the ticket booth and buys a ticket.  They don't call ahead and reserve anything.  For your peace of mind however, you should go to the Dog Racing Stadium as soon as you get into Vũng Tàu and buy tickets before you go do your seafood run, particularly if you chose to buy VIP tickets (100,000 VND/ticket - note a previous source link quoted a VIP ticket at 60,000 VND.  The 100,000 VND/ticket quote is dated February 13, 2013)

I don't gamble so I have not gone to the dog races.  I drove by it one time and saw alot of people hanging outside the stadium listening to the race (probably because they didn't want to pay the 50,000 VND ticket to go inside). 

http://travelfish-sg.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/vietnam/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_2337-copy.jpg
As for the VIP seating, per http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/vietnam … -vung-tau/,  "The VIP area is an air-con space on the top floor of the grandstand, offering a better view of the track."  It is the box-offices you see in this picture, on the second story.  Having a high vantage view in the VIP boxes will allow you to see the entire race track at a good angle.  If you have a pair of binoculars, bring them along so you can track your "bet" closer as it runs around the track.

So did all my research help you?  If so, here's my bill (this part I'm actually serious; it's not a unreasonable request):

about 20 minutes of research work

comes to....

A meal/lunch to the next two Lottery Ticket Sellers you meet on the street.  They're not hard to find because they'll come up to you.  At which point you should ask them if they've had lunch or have eaten anything.  Take them to the nearest vendor food cart and buy them a sandwich or some food.  You are not required to buy the lottery tickets or give them money.  Just food and water will suffice.  Do this two times.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
aibiet150204 wrote:

Thanks so much...

Ugh...I fell for the old trick.  If you do a good job, then more work gets piled on ya.  That's why workers just do lousy jobs...so they can just skim on by and collect the big paychecks.  If I initially just answered you "google it yourself", then you wouldn't have follow-up with these questions.  :P

But since you found my three answers to be useful to you, then I will have to bill you for my research services after I find the answers for your two additional questions.

(i) You actually answered this question yourself in your original post with the source link.  In that website, if you read further down, it actually says "Despite heavy rain, dogs always finish their race in the cheers of the audience" so this implies they don't cancel due to rain.  As the dogs also train to race in the water ("To create elegant gaits for dogs on the racetrack, they pump water into the racetrack to increase resistance to force dogs to run at their full speed."), they shouldn't have any problems running in the rain.  Finally, if the stadium shuts down due to rain, they'd wouldn't make any money during the rainy season, which is about half a calendar year in Southern Việt Nam, right?     

Although a weather "forecast" is not 100% accurate, per Accuweather.com forecast for Vũng Tàu on Saturday, November 2, 2013 calls for sunny skies during the day with 41% chance of rain but 59% chance of rain at night...so about 3 to 5 odds that it'll rain during the race.  Check back with that Accuweather website the closer you get to November 2 for up to date information.

(ii) I do not think you have to reserve the seats.  It's geared towards the average citizen, as it's one of the rare venues that allow legal gambling.  The average citizen usually shows up at the ticket booth and buys a ticket.  They don't call ahead and reserve anything.  For your peace of mind however, you should go to the Dog Racing Stadium as soon as you get into Vũng Tàu and buy tickets before you go do your seafood run, particularly if you chose to buy VIP tickets (100,000 VND/ticket - note a previous source link quoted a VIP ticket at 60,000 VND.  The 100,000 VND/ticket quote is dated February 13, 2013)

I don't gamble so I have not gone to the dog races.  I drove by it one time and saw alot of people hanging outside the stadium listening to the race (probably because they didn't want to pay the 50,000 VND ticket to go inside). 

http://travelfish-sg.s3.amazonaws.com/b … 7-copy.jpg
As for the VIP seating, per http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/vietnam … -vung-tau/,  "The VIP area is an air-con space on the top floor of the grandstand, offering a better view of the track."  It is the box-offices you see in this picture, on the second story.  Having a high vantage view in the VIP boxes will allow you to see the entire race track at a good angle.  If you have a pair of binoculars, bring them along so you can track your "bet" closer as it runs around the track.

So did all my research help you?  If so, here's my bill (this part I'm actually serious; it's not a unreasonable request):

about 20 minutes of research work

comes to....

A meal/lunch to the next two Lottery Ticket Sellers you meet on the street.  They're not hard to find because they'll come up to you.  At which point you should ask them if they've had lunch or have eaten anything.  Take them to the nearest vendor food cart and buy them a sandwich or some food.  You are not required to buy the lottery tickets or give them money.  Just food and water will suffice.  Do this two times.

Obviously, I trust you and your research more than mine as I have seen many people on the blog call you "Doctorate Google Guru", right? So, you cannot blame me for your reputation :P

I normally do not buy lottery or give money except in case of very old people or disable children but often give/share some food/drink. Trust me, I will pay you in full and will never ask for the receipt of the payment from you :)

Many thanks again for ALL you have done so far!

aibiet150204 wrote:

I normally do not buy lottery or give money except in case of very old people or disable children but often give/share some food/drink. Trust me, I will pay you in full and will never ask for the receipt of the payment from you :)

Well good for you.  I just targeted lottery salespeople because I know they are mainly the poor.  But instead of begging, they are actually trying to earn a living.  You can pick a disabled person instead or a beggar to buy food/drink if you like...but do it two times.  That's my fee.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
aibiet150204 wrote:

Well good for you.  I just targeted lottery salespeople because I know they are mainly the poor.  But instead of begging, they are actually trying to earn a living.  You can pick a disabled person instead or a beggar to buy food/drink if you like...but do it two times.  That's my fee.

Not a problem at all. Ahhhhhh, keep your "Doctorate Google Guru" practising cause, if in the future, you "need" my answers (who knows!!!), "my rate" is just really high!!! :lol::lol::lol: