Started my process

After months of talking about it here and elsewhere, I finally got going on my move to Ecuador yesterday, by taking a train to downtown Chicago to visit the Ecuadorian consulate.

Most of what I was told was in line with what I already knew. I was given a form to complete and return for a six-month tourist visa (which will cost $30 application fee and $200 for the visa itself). I will enter on the tourist visa and complete the pensionado visa there, within the six months.

Re the often-discussed police clearance, I was told the law does not specify which police agency (FBI, local cops, Illinois State Police) needs to issue it. He recommended state/local police, but I think I'll go with FBI and be safe. (I wonder if getting both is the super-safe solution?)

Re translation -- he said I could get documents translated either here or in Ecuador, but seemed to lean toward Ecuador. That's what I was planning anyway, based on what I had heard is the preference of the authorities in Ecuador.

I will keep y'all informed as I go forward.

Bob

I would go with the state police, not the FBI. It needs to be apostatized by your state's apostle, and in my state, they only apostle documents produced by and notarized by in state agencies and organizations (it's probably a little different from state to state). At least in Quito, the state police record is what they want. You probably want the fingerprint type, because in some sates, background checks that are done with only name and birthday include a disclaimer that they may be inaccurate, and that might cause problems.

Bob, much ado about nothing. There are 4 issues you'll need to address. All must be apostilled. No exceptions and all can be no older then 60-90 days but avoid the 90 day area if you can. The police report should be only 30 or so days old. If married, you're marriage cert is needed and apostilled. You'll then need your income verified and apostilled. As for the police report you only need to obtain that from your home state or province for the last 5 years although they'll run an entire life story anyway. That required apostille as well.  Lastly, you'll need your birth certificate which must be apostilled as well.
DO NOT TRANSLATE anywhere but there!!Ask immigration for their recommendation for someone to do that the way they prefer.

If you do all of this as I've described you don't need a Visa if your Canadian or American. you simply go as a visitor and immediately file for the pension visa in any of the 3 major cities. The birth certificate allows you to file at the same time for your cedulla which is equally important. The other docs get you your pension visa.
Simple stuff and this is the exact way I got mine and my wifes in 4 weeks without any attorneys. I was charged $175.00 dollars for the translation work.

Hard part is the apostilles.

Good luck

Thanks, this is good info.

Jesse: Good to know about the fingerprint/non difference. I just assumed prints would be taken, but apparently there's a name-only option, and the Illinois State Police website mentions that it may miss some records (because of use of an alias/different spellings, etc). Don't know if they note the difference on the report, but it seems a potential problem easily avoidable.

Timo: Thanks -- you raise a point (marriage cert) that I forgot to ask about yesterday. I am a widower, so I wonder if I need to have a marriage cent and my wife's death cert?

Are you sure about the dates? That's the first I've heard about 30 days for the police report. I have always heard 90 days on all the docs (with advice to not cut things too close to the 90). I'd like to get things taken care of and not be (additionally) stressed at Christmas, which is when I'd have to deal with the police to have the report under 30 days.

Thanks again.

I paid a visit to the local immigration office today, but I wonŽt elaborate on it in this thread. Nonetheless it fills me with dread every time I step foot inside (thanks Grace). 

In terms of cost and time there, there really isnŽt that much more work and money involved in getting both reports. The tricky thing with the FBI report from what I recall, is that you need to be sure to tell them to send it directly to the State Department in order to have it apostilled.

Thanks for the report Bob, I'll be following your every post on this subject.

I don't understand why you have applied for/need a tourist visa?

We live 1,000+ miles from the nearest Ecuador consulate. It is absolutely impossible for us to consult with them on visa details or acquire various forms from their offices. They don't answer email questions, we've tried that.

I really appreciate your diligence in reporting the process to the rest of us.

Wouldn't FBI report be all inclusive? So why get state or local reports. How would you make sure it got to the State Department for apostille. If 30 window is all you have that could be a problem. Have also read on one of these blogs to have many photocopies of your docs (or originals made of your birth cert) because they might take them to put in your file.

suefrankdahl wrote:

Wouldn't FBI report be all inclusive? So why get state or local reports. How would you make sure it got to the State Department for apostille. If 30 window is all you have that could be a problem. Have also read on one of these blogs to have many photocopies of your docs (or originals made of your birth cert) because they might take them to put in your file.

If the window is 30 days I agree that the FBI report would probably arrive too late. At least with the state police report you can go and get that apostilled in person in most states, probably a few days before you leave the country.

When I applied for my cedula they took my original birth certificate. I apparently will have to order another one if and when I apply for citizenship. Someone said you no longer need to provide your birth certificate for either visa or cedula.

You no longer need the birth certificate.

amyf wrote:

Thanks, Amy. Since it's no big problem to get it, I will. It's a useful thing to have anyway, I suppose.

I moved ahead with things today by starting the criminal background check. (I decided to hope it's 90 days -- today would be within that window as long as I file my paperwork soon after I get there in early January, which is what I intend to do.

Here's a quick description of what was involved, though I'm sure it varies by state within the US and certainly in other countries.

I had contacted the Illinois State Police and they referred me to a page on their website listing authorized agencies for what they call 'live scan'. I selected the closest one to my daughter's home and went by there today -- it is a security service that appears to specialize in doing pre-employment checks for businesses (they seemed a bit confused about my reason for visiting them, apparently they don't get many visa applicants).

The process was very simple -- they had me fill out a short form (name, date/place of birth, etc), checked and photocopied my ID (passport), then had me put my fingers (whole hands, then each individual finger) on a scanner. They forward my info and the prints to ISP. When the scanning was complete and I paid them $40, they informed me that I would be getting my report from ISP in about ten days or so. Total time -- maybe a half-hour tops.

amyf wrote:

I appled for my 9 IV visa a couple days ago. I did not need a both certificate for that, but was told by the office in Quito that it is required for the cedula

Try [email protected] they speak english and live in Ecuador cell phone 011-593-99-296-2065  click here to go to web-page  http://www.gringotree.com/cuenca/direct … countants/

I had a question about the need for a marriage certificate, so I visited the Ecuadorian consulate here in Phoenix.  What I was told is that no marriage certificate is needed unless one is traveling with one's spouse. Since I am widowed I don't need a marriage certificate.

I was also told no birth certificate is needed, which I had already been told. What I had heard, though, was that while no birth cert is needed for the visa, it is needed for a cedula. Not so, said the Phoenix consulate  -- a passport will do.

I had my birth cert apostilled at the Arizona Secretary of State today anyway, and will take it with me. The whole process took about two minutes and cost three bucks.

The only problem I'm having is my police report, which hasn't shown up yet, so I need to do some follow-up with the Illinois State Police.

Check-out this for paper-work http://ecuadorvisas.com/  They speak english and are here in Ecuador

Thank you all for your insight and experiences.  Having explored most if not all the Central American countries we have settled on Ecuador for so many positive reasons. 

As a senior citizen who is also a widower and raised my children, met a wonderful woman in Philippines and with her 4yr. old son we wish to immigrate to Ecuador.  Have some questions for my wife specifically.

1. Wife must, under a new law in Philippines, obtain a CFO (Certificate Filipino Overseas ) ????  A stamp for all Filipino citizens who wish to immigrate to specifically USA/Canada etc.  We have all the documents for her interview this month.  If one does not wish to immigrate from here they do not need this certification, nevertheless any other visa is very difficult for a single woman in this country.  For anyone who needs more input into this process, we have friends who have gone through it and can help others...email me.  [email protected].
2.Having done due-diligence-Ecuador is the least complicated as all of these countries have same rules but this country is less restrictive for Senior Pension individuals.  MY BIG QUESTIONS ARE MOSTLY ANSWERED BUT NEED CLARIFICATION.
A. We are going to try to obtain a non-immigration visa for my wife to America...why?  well this will allow us easy passage, less expensive air fare as most flights from Manila are US carriers and pass through USA airports...if that does not work then will apply for "Transit Visa"...if that doesn't work then will pay the cost and fly to Europe where a transit visa is not required and then onto Ecuador.
B. For some insight into what a married couple must know before trying any of this especially Philippine citizens.
  1. Marriage to a foreign woman more than 2 years will give you a very good chance to get a immigration etc. visa

2. As the USA citizen...having ties and living in your spouses country i.e. residency, lease on your place of residence, child registered in school, business owner, lots of photo's with dates plus emails and any other communications between both of you is essential.  Now another advantage is the fact I am a senior over 65...educated with filled pages of passport to evidence my stays here and abroad where I worked.  Wife has occupation needed and very well spoken English.

Sorry for the length of this reply...now the main ?'s

1. If I do the process from Philippines for myself...do I also do it here for my wife/son or wait until we land in Ecuador?
Some of the needed documents i.e. police record for me will have to be from USA...or as a resident of Philippines can I get it from here? 
Biggest issue is where to do the process (easiest) way?

2. Then need some boots on the ground to advise the proper place to live....based upon our needs...

God Bless and thank you all for any assistance as I will also give anyone the same help with any of the countries I have worked or traveled to from China to Russia,,,most of Europe, Tahiti, Cook Is., Australia/NZ, Fiji, So. America..etc. etc.

Best Wishes,,,Harold, RV and Kristoff.

Harold:

BobH should be a very good source of information for you since he is the process of moving from Cebu, back to the USA, and then on to Ecuador early next year.  In addition his deceased wife was a Filipina.

mugtech wrote:

BobH should be a very good source of information for you since he is the process of moving from Cebu, back to the USA, and then on to Ecuador early next year.  In addition his deceased wife was a Filipina.

Maybe BobH should be a good source of info, but I doubt that he's gonna be. :)

When I read your post, Harold, I was thinking "Boy, that's complicated", and I'm afraid the best solution I could come up with was to talk to an immigration attorney.

Bringing in a wife and child to the US is, as I'm sure you know, a long and sometimes frustrating process, with the US embassy often being very little help. Your local senator/representative might be a source of good info and could help in cutting some of the red tape. They have 'constituent service' staffers in their local offices. Of course, that may be difficult since you're not in the country, but you say elsewhere that you have a residence in Arizona, and maybe you could contact them by email.

You could call them on Skype or other services, but that depends on the quality f your internet connection, which I know can be awful in the Philippines. My connections were so slow that Skype often shut down on me.

If you're only seeking a transit or non-immigrant visa, it may be simpler, but I don't know how that works.

I agree with your and Mug's comments on another thread that Filipinas are marvelously adaptable --my late wife not only adapted to a different climate (though she was usually cold) and culture, but also, after a life in one house in Manila, adapted to my nomadic style and lived in San Fran, Phoenix, LA, Phx again, Austin, and Chicago in thirteen years, with only minimal complaints.

Good luck with your move, and I look forward to meeting you and your family in Ecuador.

Bob

PS: Guayaquil's climate seems to be similar to Cebu's, according to what I've read, at least as far as temp/humidity are concerned.

My lawyer (I decided to engage one) informed me of some changes in visa requirements. Big surprise!

There now is no mention of getting the pension document legalized by the consulate or apostilled. He recommended I get it legalized anyway, which I will do. I had planned on doing so today, but apparently the consulate is closed because these are holidays in Ecuador. I say 'apparently' because they didn't answer the phone, but there is also no voice mail giving a message, or allowing callers to leave one. I guess I'll have to get used to that sort of thing -- very much like the Philippines, actually.

The bigger change is the following (I'm quoting from his email):

Certificado de contar con un seguro de salud internacional que cubra sus gastos médicos; o certificado de estar afiliado al IESS y al día en el pago de aportaciones

Certificate that you have an international health insurance or a certificate of being covered by the IESS which is the ecuadorian health insurance entity.

He notes that he will check on these changes, but of course can't do so until Thursday or Friday. I'm flying on Monday, so I probably can't do much about it anyway. I'm assuming that I can get the insurance after I'm there, but before I apply -- sure hope I'm right.

They sure like to make things interesting.

In the meantime, ASU is playing Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl tonight. Go Sun Devils!

Bob

Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

Is your lawyer in Quito? Could you share?

We've decided to engage a lawyer in Ecuador when we finally start our wheels turning, and we intend to do the process in Quito as we have no interest in moving to or living in Cuenca, where most of the expat immigration info here comes from.

Gardener:

I will be glad to share, but probably it will mean more after I've completed things. I'll send you his name by PM in the meantime.

Bob

jesse is it my imagination do people make coming here more complicated then it needs to be?
Bring all your paper work orginals sealed & apostelized in state of document
Have Spanish done here

we have said this 100 time I am not real smart but told them no copies orginals and get them just before you leave...no be time lawyer they are not necessary unless you want to do other things and spend lots of money use a person who does this daily like an attorneys assistant that has set up her own business and is doing it daily again at least 5 yrs and knows every body in town and notarize. too much cheaper.

I have heard expat say this too on this site over over and over.  Men  come along do the Mugtech talk and lawyer talk the bobh talk and the FBI talk now guys your over doing it...a little Criminal Report   Appostel in State I think 5 yrs is plenty they want it updated of course not 10 yrs ago.  but they make everything so complicated.  Please just pack your suit case...

Lordy Lordy simply throw it in your folder and come here what is the problem my God no big deal I am older then them them and they will not close the dame suit case and just come for a visit.  It you don't like it you can turn around and go back.  I have been here two years and two diseases and I am  alive. I flew very ill.  I was in the hospital and no one spoke no English no phone, no computer, no TV for 2 wks.  Just don't buy anything I didn't.  I never say so much stealing and going bankrupt and sneaky things I am never involved and I tell friends don't get involved.  Stay away and one friend said should I invest if your smart you will not no no no.  Later they thank me so much listen you followed your insides. .That is my advise to you big guys do not invest here for sure wait yes 5 years of living here then think about it only.  ARE YOU LISTENING.  AS JUDGE JUDY SAYS.  I DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE BUT THEY ARE SMARTER THEN ME BUT THE LISTEN SKILLS ARE TOTALLY OFF WHICH IS NOT GOOD.

BOBH is a great source he is smart but running on emotion and grief so by all means listen to him.
and he does not listen

Gardner my Grandmother would always say consider the source BobH is going to inform you after everything and keep in mind that he has gone threw a lost and is going threw a grieving period and a loss of his wife....he also is not a good listener;  I do not know if he would admit that to us.  I am an old lady and not the smartest one.  But when we talk on this site about different subject I notice who listens and who listens to one another Jess listens to everyone men and women.  She can communicate with the smartest and dumbiest and be polite and move on very cleaver women.  She makes her points I think you need her on your team but BobH is confused whether to open the suit case to hire the lawyer to bring the paper work.
as I wrote jess we have stated certain things very clear about coming you need to:

Have Spanish translated over here we have said this over and over and over and over.
BobH needed to hear that from a lawyer oh my God charge that man $1000.00 for that ...
We told him he would need a Criminal Report State Appostel with state put it in his folder and at least 5 yrs and up date it not old on him ..  He tought he would go to FBI no one said FBI he got drifted off course some how.  He needs a lawyer charge him more money he is not listening.
We told him they love originals, real seals, no copies, appostels of state getting it. 
We all were the same except some of us spell better.

But some of us don't listen.  We even told him to check his parents names where on his Birth certicate and that his dates on appostels where up to date because they will double check that and so will his expensive attorney.  They will all tell him to send them back big time delay.
We go over this stuff with new comers all the time but the biggest thing is are they listening not are they intelligent like Mug are the listening HELLO HELLO some are dealing with death, loss of children, loss of retirement, loss of God and the biggest loss of health but we do help a little and we gladly repeat as long as we are hear.

smmr wrote:

Men  come along do the Mugtech talk .

Exactly what does that mean?

Bring it any way and original and appostel you will not regret it at all have original seal
and make sure your parents names are on it.   Put it in your folder believe me you will not regret it your thank me over and over again

You know exact Mug you do it well....don't play innocent now...I would like you to play that part too?

nerd in your folder I would have
Birth Certifcate orginial seal appostel parents names check and dates of appostel check
Criminal Report State and apostel and dated Check
Up dated drivers license to it helps you might not be back for a while.
If you are above 65 yrs old you need a letter from SS with letter head saying your prove of income is the limit and it is the amount for the Visa Proof when you applied they will take letter it must be orginal
Many people are cancelling their Medicare because they can get insurance over here cheaper which is true.
They do not cancel of course the free part of the Mediare I forget which part of Medicare that is but you never cancel that unless you are cancelling being an American.  But by Cancelling your Mediare it often ups your income and that way many people can bring in their partners who are younger then them.  They will turn 65 in a year or two.  And it adjust out.  Their mates are attached to their visa.

smmr wrote:

You know exact Mug you do it well....don't play innocent now...I would like you to play that part too?

Innocent until proven guilty.  State the evidence please.  What part am I playing?

mugtech wrote:
smmr wrote:

Innocent until proven guilty.  State the evidence please.  What part am I playing?

I don't think there's much point, Mug – if you got an answer, it would be incomprehensible.

I had the idea when I created this thread that it might serve as a record of how the process goes, step by step, and be useful as a guide for future expats (for a while at least, until the next time they change everything).

But at this point, I doubt anybody reading it for such info would make it past the stuff above, so I'll just post the info on my blog and maybe point people there.

Crashed my last computer about a month ago and lost your blog address, Bob. Could you post it again please?

Click "Website" under my avatar.

Check Residency visa related questions thread.Timo will send you one page data sheet for free

Anyone have any idea how it works for members of the Andean Community? With my Peruvian citizenship, I know I get 6 months, no questions asked.  How does a longer stay work? Border hop?

Sorry, Geo -- I don't know anything about that. Good luck on getting the info, but I think most of the posters here, with a couple exceptions (MariaPia comes to mind) are gringos and unlikely to know much about the rules in regard to the Andean Community.

You might send her a PM, in case she's not reading this thread.

I thought of ZenSpike today, since I recall him posting a similar experience:

I took my Social Security letter to my bank to be notarized. After I explained what I wanted done and why, the notary pointed out that he couldn't notarize the signature on the letter, since that person wasn't present. I agreed with him of course and said that we all know that the notarization and apostille were meaningless, but Ecuador wanted it anyway).

So I wrote "This is my SS letter" at the bottom of the letter and signed it. The notary then notarized that and I got it apostilled. The consulate was very pleased and gave me a certification of income to go with the SS letter (the certification, of course, says exactly the same thing as the letter -- that I get $X per month).

The difference from Neil's experience at the Minneapolis consulate was that Chicago said they could not 'legalize' it.*

All very amusing. The similarity to the Philippines is striking.

Bob

* Does this mean I have a certified illegal letter?

Great idea about signing the SS letter. Had sort of wondered how that could be accomplished. I think bureaucrats are the same the world over: CYA is first priority and feel important is next.

This in not amusing.

Especially since Ecuador has closed its San Francisco consulate (my district). I am not amused to make up this kind of stuff, waste a bunch of time and money and thousands of miles to in LA and back, to entertain some Ecuadoran consulate personnel looking for a wax stickey on a piece of paper.

Bob, were you told that it was required to present this apostilled 'document' to the consulate before leaving to Ecuador for the final visa application? Where did this instruction come from? Your lawyer? The consulate?

Did you finally get your police report back as well?

Gardner: I had been told, by the immigration website, that either notarization/apostille or legalization of the SS letter would do. Since legalization was one stop and could be accomplished together with the certification, it seemed like the easier alternative (and I knew I'd get pushback on notarizing the letter),

I understand your situation -- it was only a minor annoyance/inconvenience for me because my bank and the SoS office were both nearby. In other circumstance, it could have been a more serious problem.

When I told my lawyer what had happened, he emailed back: "Immigration Law is a mess, but I just canŽt comprehend why the Ministry would publish on their webpage that you can either legalize through the apostille or at the ecuadorian consulate, and not follow through with the information they provide ..."

Oh well, I had been warned that this sort of thing was common. And of course I had seen the similar stuff many times in the Philippines.

Geo
[email protected] Tel #099-524-0683 Sarah She walks a lot of Expat through their paper work.  A lot of people high recommend her I would get in contact with her now she will charge you.  But you will get accurate information instead of this and that and this and that....
We had Crimal Reports but no seals but we came for 90 days and then they change them into Spanish here and notarized here...but that was 2 yrs ago and you know they change everything daily.  But I have heard one thing that stays the same
Get all your paper work all and bring it with you have it original with seals and apposiled with as current dates as possible before you leave on birth certificate make sure mother and fathers names down
make sure your Cedula name is the same spelling as your Birth Certificate details details details.
Another thing have all Spanish done here they like there own Spanish.
Otherwise I don't know how many things changed and from where but Sarah is excellent.  Good Luck
and please report back to us if you use her and she is any good we all would like to know.

So Bob, if you can bear with my stupid questions--as I am still confused here-

The Social Security document which states SS income, really cannot be notarized and apostilled within the Social Security administration-and- failing that, the only way to get the income approved and verified is to have the document 'legalized' at the Ecuadoran consulate?

Am I understanding this correctly?