Do and Dont in KSA

Hi All,
I am planning to move to Jeddah by early next month and frankly after reading blogs / news items i am scared .

I am a Indian (Religion: Hindu) and want to know the dos and dont in Jeddah.

1. As some one who is a non muslim what all i need to take care off, so that i dont offend any one

2. As a non saudi, what all regulations i need to take care off

Thanks in advance

R P M wrote:

Hi All,
I am planning to move to Jeddah by early next month and frankly after reading blogs / news items i am scared .

I am a Indian (Religion: Hindu) and want to know the dos and dont in Jeddah.

1. As some one who is a non muslim what all i need to take care off, so that i dont offend any one

2. As a non saudi, what all regulations i need to take care off

Thanks in advance

You obviously have made NO effort to research your questions.  You even took the title of an established stickie!

Go to this link and read the posts:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7325

Thanks Alliecat, but my question was more from Indian / South Asian perspective.
As far as I understand the treatment a US national/ European gets is far superior to what a Indian national gets.

R P M wrote:

Thanks Alliecat, but my question was more from Indian / South Asian perspective.
As far as I understand the treatment a US national/ European gets is far superior to what a Indian national gets.

True.  You'll notice it the first time when you get off the plane and go through immigration.  But still, the do's and don'ts in the thread I referenced do apply to everybody. 

As for you, just know that things won't always be fair and you may be treated with disrespect by some nationals.  We've discussed this before on the forum, at length.

Best of luck.

WOW, guess WHAT?  I found the extended thread of was thinking of!

And how did I do it?  I used the GOOGLE CUSTOM SEARCH BOX.  I put in 'pecking order saudi arabia', pressed GO, and VOILA!

The thread is worth reading--you'll learn a lot:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18207

EDIT:  I'm reading the thread now and you'll notice some of us addressing a person called "Souire."  This was a woman from Canada who had never been to KSA but who frequently made venomous comments in this forum.  Some months later she deleted most of her posts in this thread (hopefully because--after reading them again-- she realized what a jackass she'd been!).

Hi Alliecat,

The more i read about life in KSA, the more i get convinced to decline Job offer.
I am getting ~1.8 times my Indian salary (90000 USD p.a. vs 50000 USD) and I am convinced that there is no point going for PAID Slavery in KSA.

R P M wrote:

Hi Alliecat,

The more i read about life in KSA, the more i get convinced to decline Job offer.
I am getting ~1.8 times my Indian salary (90000 USD p.a. vs 50000 USD) and I am convinced that there is no point going for PAID Slavery in KSA.

Well, here's the deal:  come here with a GOAL.  When you reach that goal, just leave!  Many westerners come here with the goal of paying off student loans and they leave free of debt.  Others want a big down-payment on a house.  My point is, that .8 could be SAVINGS.  In fact, it's possible to leave so cheaply here that 1.6 could be your savings. 

So you give up a couple years of pleasant living to have a pleasant  'rest of your life!'  Many of us think this is worth it...just keep your eye on the ball!

Very well said Allie.

Well said. Its all about delayed gratification.

But i keep hearing that min of 4x salary should be there for moving to KSA

R P M wrote:

That's too high Expectations. Don't go with the numbers, go with your priorities !!

R P M wrote:

Well said. Its all about delayed gratification.

That really only refers to the lower income people.  As for myself, I don't make much more here than I would at home BUT the economic situation at home is a disaster so I might have been laid off by now. 

Also, here the money is tax free and I have free housing and utilities.  Since there is no entertainment, there's nothing to spend money on lol  I buy food, pay for taxis, internet and cell phone.  I also travel whenever possible but it still allows me to save a considerable amount.

If you'd be giving up a good job that you really like and wouldn't be able to get another like it when you return home, then don't leave.  If, however, you're willing to take a chance in order to quickly save money for your future, KSA is the place!

Hi thank you for clarification. I am planning to join and save .
Please don't mind me asking but is the situation in USA ( your country ) that bad. That is contrary to media report

R P M wrote:

Cat always gives the best of the suggestions and has got abundance of patience to explain things . :top:

@ RPM - Don't worry its not that bad as it seems from the outside world, subjected to that you have done your homework well !!

R P M wrote:

Please don't mind me asking but is the situation in USA ( your country ) that bad. That is contrary to media report

It's pretty bleak.  Don't believe the media.  The unemployment rates are based on people who are collecting unemployment benefits from the government.  When these benefits expire (the person has collected all he has due), these people no longer figure into the unemployment numbers, even though they are STILL unemployed!

R P M wrote:

I think you've given it a lot of thought and will probably benefit greatly from your decision.  It won't always be easy but remember:  keep your eye on the ball!

Best of luck.

Thanks Allie,

saimans : The "image" of KSA isnt good, in India, when there are job interviews for UAE/ other locations, there is a huge queue(50-100) people, but when there is a interview for KSA , hardly 5-10 guys will be there. That too when UAE salary are .5x KSA salary.

The irony is that when i talk to people who have been in KSA, they claim that they were happy there.

R P M wrote:

saimans : The "image" of KSA isnt good, in India,

But the Image of India is very Good in KSA, and that does matter.

R P M wrote:

The irony is that when i talk to people who have been in KSA, they claim that they were happy there.

I can give my 2 cents for this and that's the fact, cuz I came here on my own terms and conditions

Hi Guys ,

Just one small question,as far as i know for exiting KSA one needs a exit visa from employers.
Do employers give it easily in case of a family emergency?  further if the same is denied by employer can I approach indian embassy for the same ? or am i completely on the mercy of my employers.

In case of Emergency scenario - If you are not having a multiple exit/re-entry visa, then you can have the single exit/re-entry visa in a Working Day to leave the country. Employers take care of this !!

saimans wrote:

In case of Emergency scenario - If you are not having a multiple exit/re-entry visa, then you can have the single exit/re-entry visa in a Working Day to leave the country. Employers take care of this !!

In minutes actually; rather than the working day. Employers usually don't trouble employees for that.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

In minutes actually; rather than the working day.

Guess I was on the safer side !!:) God forbid in an emergency if he wont get the exit/re-entry visa visa in minutes, hes gonna kill you !! :D

:):)

So the life of educated expats is OK in KSA.