Piano study in Austria or Germany??

Hi there ! I am a Malaysian Chinese and I am looking forward to pursue my music study in either Austria and Germany next year 2014 . Hence i have a few question to ask .

1. Anyone here doing music in either one of the country?
2. Are there lots of international student in the music  conservertoire in Austria and Germany?
3. Is there any racism issue? (I hope i am worry too much....)
4. Which country has lower cost of living
5. is it easy to get a job in those countries??

pls help!

Thanks !! and nice to meet you all :)

Hi clairefoo,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that you post is now on the Germany Forum for better visibility :)

I suggest you post on the Austria Forum for more interaction please :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Don't worry, apart from the occasional weird person who dislikes foreigners, most Germans and Austrians are quite open and friendly.
The cost of living is practically the same in both countries (maybe Germany slightly cheaper).
It isn't easy to find a job, especially as a non-EU-citizen. But I don't know the arts and music market. Having studied here might give you a work permit, which helps a lot - ask your school about that!
Good luck!

Hello...

I have graduated with a Master's of music here.

In the conservatory where i have studied, there was a good number of international people there. About racism, i haven't had any problems in the conservatory. The teachers and professors there were VERY tough but they were also fair. Be prepared to treat (at least) the first 2 semesters  here as a cultural learning experience too. To study in German is very difficult but not impossible.

To get a job here is not so easy if you have no connections or don't know where to start looking. There are many private music teachers here and the is competition to get students but with a German degree, it is easier to get a job here in the music schools.

Hope these info helps.

Hi Meiangie .

Thanks for your reply , it's very helpful  . Do you mind telling me which conservatory you are attending ?