Burial at sea.

I want to make enquiries/advance arrangements for my burial at sea, just outside Xlendi bay (Gozo) if possible.
Can anyone provide any suggestions of how, if indeed this is permitted, I can start to make the arrangements?
Thanks.

(Don't know what category this would go into; Accommodation? Moving? Formalities? :))

Hi redmik,

somebody I knew was buried at sea just last Friday.

I could not attend myself so I'm not aware of the actual procedure but I don't think it was too difficult to organize. I heard that it was actually the 'cheapest' option compared to being cremated (in Sicily) or being taken back to Germany.

The burial has to be performed outside the territorial waters so you are talking about 15 miles out or so.

I would suggest you contact an undertaker who will be able to organize everything.

Cheers
Ricky

A state's territorial sea extends up to 12 nautical miles (22.2 km; 13.8 mi) from its baseline. If this would overlap with another state's territorial sea, the border is taken as the median point between the states' baselines, unless the states in question agree otherwise. A state can also choose to claim a smaller territorial sea.

So all you need is a mate with a boat, some big concrete blocks, chain, and a onesie!

Job done!!

ricky wrote:

Hi redmik,

The burial has to be performed outside the territorial waters so you are talking about 15 miles out or so.

Cheers
Ricky

That's disappointing for me, not that I'll be in any position to get all upset.
;)

Thanks for the advice and as I'm meeting a group of Maltese friends this weekend I'll be asking them too.

tearnet wrote:

A state's territorial sea extends up to 12 nautical miles (22.2 km; 13.8 mi) from its baseline. If this would overlap with another state's territorial sea, the border is taken as the median point between the states' baselines, unless the states in question agree otherwise. A state can also choose to claim a smaller territorial sea.
So all you need is a mate with a boat, some big concrete blocks, chain, and a onesie!
Job done!!

Wouldn't be seen dead in a onesie :D

Sorry to hear that you will leaving us, Redmik ;)

MikoHassing wrote:

I am not dying, not anymore than any of us are at any moment. We run, hopefully as fast as we can, and then everyone must stop. We can only choose how we handle the race.
Hugh Elliott.

redmik wrote:
MikoHassing wrote:

I am not dying, not anymore than any of us are at any moment. We run, hopefully as fast as we can, and then everyone must stop. We can only choose how we handle the race.
Hugh Elliott.

"and try not to fall at the first hurdle!"
me

tearnet wrote:
redmik wrote:
MikoHassing wrote:

Hugh Elliott.

"and try not to fall at the first hurdle!"
me

:lol::thanks:

I saw a documentary about divers wanting to be buried at sea, apparently the way around it is was to put you ashes into a concrete mix and pour it into a mold shaped like a pyramid with holes for fish to swim through. A brass plate was attached with the details of the person who dived and it's dropped into the sea to help make an artificial reef.

That's my plans Redmik being ex RN and MN, have the salt in my veins :)

With no crematoria on Malta that option is excluded for me, thanks.

redmik wrote:

Funeral pyre on the cliffs?

tearnet wrote:
redmik wrote:

Funeral pyre on the cliffs?

Here would be a good spot.
Calypso Cave by Ramla, Gozo

http://www.visitgozo.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/640x425-Gozo-Calypso-Cave-Ramla-bay-by-Rene-Rossignaud-500x380.jpg

so if there is no cremation facilities on malta,and if buried ,you stand a good chance of being dug up and advised to go elsewhere after a few years.what are my other options when i get to shuttle off my mortal in malta ? after all not everyone needs the hassle never mind the expense of being embalmed and flown back to blighty.isuppose i can always arrange to be propped up at an arriva bus stop out in dingli .i could quite happily see out eternity there.

Many are cremated on Sicily and have their ashes returned.
Courier service too.

As it is now 2015 and the thread re cremation and burial at sea, closed in 2013, I wanted to know please -
Is it still not possible for cremation {I know there was talk about it as space in cemeteries running out}, and is it still possible for burial at sea.
Last resort - what involved in organ donation i.e. none of the above.
Any info appreciated. Thanks

Still no cremation in Malta.

You can get buried at sea.

You can leave your body to the university for research for free, I think they hold a memorial service for free after a short time.

Terry

the university memorial is the last week before good friday

you need to makes sure its codified in your will you wish to donate your body and you cant donate your organs
you also need to fill forms in to inform the university

you can get cremated in scicily and have the ashes bought back but its about 5k  minimum

This is a link to the university website regarding leaving your body to medical science..

https://www.um.edu.mt/ms/anatomy/bequest

And this for organ donations...

http://www.transplantsupport.com.mt/donor-registration

Terry

Great subject guys  :) But strangely enough a good business opportunity for some enterprising group  :top: Perhaps a consortium of all those interested in cremation could be set up as a going concern and all shareholders get one free on the house. I'm in  :joking:

My family considered the options of both burial at sea and cremation for a close family member.

We did some research and were recommended a firm that offers funeral services in Naxxar, Gzira and Mellieha. The company was Camilleri Funeral Directors in Gzira, (Not to be confused with some other Camilleri Funeral Services from Qormi).

They were highly recommended by a few people as they specialize in repatriation services, overseas cremations and burial at sea in Malta which they have been doing for a very long time.

We were extremely satisfied with their services, they were very helpful, professional and prompt to react to our wishes.

We recommended them to some friends who were planning ahead and they acquired prepaid repatriation services with Camilleri so all plans are ready for when they die. They were also very pleased with the service and the costs for their prepaid funeral plans in Malta are extremely competitive in contrast to the U.K.

Their website is camillerifuneraldirectors.com - the owners Tony or his son Johann can be reached on xxx
Its best to speak to them for information about burial at sea in Malta, cremation or funeral service options for expats.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please recommend in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Remember that there is the free alternative of giving your body to science and the training of doctors. At the end of the day, it makes little difference if we feed worms or crabs, so making a gift back to the living seems a pretty good deal.

Vagrant wrote:

Remember that there is the free alternative of giving your body to science and the training of doctors. At the end of the day, it makes little difference if we feed worms or crabs, so making a gift back to the living seems a pretty good deal.

Details are in Tearnet's earlier post on this topic, No.19 above.

Ray

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : no ad for external link please