Nordic citizens in the DR??

Hey.
I'm considering moving to the Dominican Republic.

But I wonder if there is any Nordic comunity or Nordic citizens
who live there.
Norwegian, Swedish, Danish?
There are many questions that arise when considering moving to a totally foreign country.
(+ i only speaks English and Scandinavian languages.)

Where are the best places to stay.
Must be on the coast, preferably mixed communities.
North?
Or East maybe.

Welcome to the forums! We have many expats but have no idea how many are Nordic.

The language is really my main concern. :-)
That's why I'm trying to find out if there are others with Nordic language you eventual can ask for help at the beginning.

In Sosua there are Swedes, Norwegians, Danes and Finns. Some live there permanently others are snowbirds. You will manage fine. Don't forget to learn Spanish.

Welcome Chareena!!!

I have to learn Spanish.
"The hard way"

I'm planning a trip in January / February.
Would have been nice to meet some Nordic and hear a little about the experiences and challenges.
So if anyone is interested, they are welcome to contact me.

Send me a PM

Welcome Chareena, are you living in sosua full time?

Bob K

Grolsch  welcome to the forum.  As Chareena said there are lots of Nordic expats and snow birds in the Sosua area.

Bob K

Thanks for the anwers.

What is enough money to live on RD per month?
Is 70000-100000 peso enough?
Whould that give me a low- medium or high standard of living?
I don`t want to live in a city or a tourist area. (But i prefere to be almost on the beach, but still a quiet local or mixed community)

100,000RD will give you a comfortable living depending on what you spend on rent and auto.

Bob K

I wouldn't recommend coming here by yourself without knowing Spanish, but that's not what you asked :) There seems to be a few nordic people around, I don't know them but I'm sure they exist. I'd recommend you to follow this blog, in Swedish, by a swedish man who has been here for quite a few years: http://fronterizo.wordpress.com/ I know he, the swedish consul and some other nordic men get together from time to time

Many come here without spanish and manage!!!It is not the best but it can be made to work. I knew no spanish when I moved here! NONE

I concur you do not need to know Spanish to live here. I also had NO Spanish when I arrived and today it is still minimal.

Bob K

If you don't speak (at least a little) Spanish, you should get a Tourist Guide in lieu of friends. You can always find someone who speaks some English, Italian, or French. Expect to pay inflated tourist prices the first week or so. If you have a good guide, he won't let others hustle you.

Getting a local "tourist guide" will in most cases be a rip off. You will do pretty well with your English and some basic Spanish.
Most "tourist" guides will be scam artists... sorry but that is my opinion

Bob K

Thanks for all advice.
Tour guides are "rip off" :-)
I do not know any Spanish, but i think I can manage ok at first,
with my English skills.
I`m trying to read and learn as much as possible in this forum
(other people's experiences and advice + +)
Also, the plan is to first go there for a 2-4 week stay in January / February, travel around the Northern coast.
+ And another trip of 2-4 weeks later in the year,
And then rent a house for 6-12 month before I make any decisions regarding relocation.

Therefore, the plan is to try to stay away from the tourist areas to get a more realistic picture of what this country is.
The more you can read and learn in advance, the better.

I look a little on the rental market.
Short term rental and long term rental.
Have found one in Sosua, but I wonder if it is a fine place and whether it is ok price or rip off.
Can I post a link to it here or send it by PM to one of you who live in Sosua?

It's a question of worrying about one wolf or many wolves. But you get a sense of confidence that going it alone may not give you at first. An extra few quid or so is a small price (tuition or scam) to pay to see how the Dominican culture works.

I found an apt. in the Samana area, on the NE coast, about 100 yards from the sea, for about $200/month. I found it by asking and motor "scootering" around and spotting the "for rent" signs (se alquilar). Can't beat the price or the view from the Bay! I now know that town like the back of my hand.

Might be a good idea to stay in a hotel first though.

Remember anything you rent for a month or two will be much higher price, that is tourist pricing. Once you want to rent for a longer term then you start looking around and  shopping for what you really want. 

You don't need a guide - for the most part they are in business to make money!  Get a short term rental then start getting oout and learning - watch and listen and you can pick up all kinds of information!!!!

Come back here and ask lots of questions.  Both Bob and I live here and have for many years, we've seen a lot and learned a lot!

I sent you a PM.  WE relocated here to the Sosua/Cabarete area 7+ years ago. It is an area with a large expat community.  There is a good mix of expats, local Dominicans, and tourists. We have not looked back for a second.

Bob K

Many thanks for the good answers.
Many thanks to Bob for all the great responses to PM.
Have learned a lot in a few days. :-)
But will probably be many more questions in the forum. (Later)

:)

Ask away and enjoy your first exploration adventure.

Bob K

the first time is always an adventure.......:D

I don't know after 7 years it still many times feels like an adventure.

Bob K

So true Bob!!!!

Here in Las Galeras on the Samana Peninsula, there is an English ExPat who speaks fluent Danish.  He lived in Denamrk for 22 years.  He went there for three months work and forgot to go home!