Bookstores in Nha Trang

Hi - first post here. I went out a couple of times looking for books recently. I found a bookstore (I think it was on the way to Maximart on Thai Nguyen) but they didn't really have much of a selection. They referred me to Fahasa and I went there yesterday but their selection consisted of 3 boxes of novels under a table - not what I was expecting.

My current interest is in SE Asian history / biographies and I could have brought some books with me but decided against it thinking that I would be able to get some here. I have bought some books from street vendors in the past but their offerings at this time seem rather limited.

If anyone knows of a good source and would like to share, that would be great.

This post has been up for about one month. I guess no responses mean no bookstores! Maybe it's a business opp for someone! Or for a book exchange???

the word "Book exchange", "food" , "water" make me happy.
I don't have SEA history book but I do have SEA Lonelyplanet EBOOK (Malaysia, Singapore,Vietnam, Indonesia...)which are the books you can read for some brief history.I can send you via email if you want then give me your mail add in private msg.
- And then, if you want to exchange book, I have an interesting book to exchange:
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies  (Author: Jared Diamond) (bought it in Phnom Penh (Cambodia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel

The very first words of this book I felt in like:

"Why is world history like an onion? Because once you cut into it, it makes you cry." I love history and geography which were the subjects I got low marks when I was high schooler. haha

(The book attempts to explain why Eurasian civilizations (including North Africa) have survived and conquered others, while arguing against the idea that Eurasian hegemony is due to any form of Eurasian intellectual, moral or inherent genetic superiority...*Wikipedia*)
Nice Monday to everyone!

inntnow, if you are looking for books on SEA history, you are definitely in the wrong place. Unless you are looking for books written in Vietnamese.

I'd suggest looking on Amazon.com. There is a Cambridge History of Southeast Asia which may be out of date but is quite good. You can also google the following names for histories written in English, all of which deal with SEA prior to 1939:

Keith Weller Taylor
Li Tana
Choi Byung Wook
Nola Cooke
Nhung Tuyet Tran
Anthony Reid
James Kong Chin
Puangthong Rungswasdisab
Carl A. Trocki
Geoff Wade
Yu Insun
Sun Laichen
Charles Wheeler
Wynn Wilcox
George Dutton
Kimloan Hill
James P. Daughton

What language of book do you want to find ? Vietnamese book or english book ?

Goodbyelenin. in re your:

while arguing against the idea that Eurasian hegemony is due to any form of Eurasian intellectual, moral or inherent genetic superiority

Actually Goodbye, that notion became quite apparent to nearly a hundred thousand Indochinese in the period 1914-1918. And those that returned home helped sew the seeds of Vietnamese nationalism.

maybe the finder will be intersted in my book, in general, than each country's history, I assume.

Thanks to all of you for the responses. I'll try to address all of them in this message – hope that's ok.

peachflower - I should have been more specific in my original message. I am looking for books written in English as I don't yet understand Vietnamese.

lirelou – I appreciate that there may be more options on Amazon or sites like that but I have heard that some of them don't ship to SE Asia and even if they did, I don't know if I would want to do that due to shipping charges.

goodbyeLenin - I think Lonely Planet books are available here. Some of them may be dated but there is a lot of the same information that is published. I checked the Wikepedia link you provided and read the summary of your book. No offense meant - I'm sure it's interesting but it's probably not one that I would buy if I saw it in a bookstore. I have a membership in my local library back home and they offer some e-books but the selection is not great.

Thanks again to everyone. It looks like I may have to bring some back next time I go away.

inntnow, There was a expat lending library in Nha Trang, just off the corner on the north side of Biet Thu and Huong Vuong streets. Don't kn ow if it is still there as Nha Trang changes quickly. It may have moved elsewhere.