UK trained Psychiatric nurse

Hi

I am  new to this but wanted to see if there are any UK trained Psychiatric nurses in Alberta. I have just started the process of assessment for entry to Canada, however need to apply to have my credentials assessed. Any one that's moved from the UK how long from the start of the process to actually moving did it take (i know its based on individual circumstances)

anyone know of the Jon collins consulting RE: bridging courses

Any info on the exam from some one who has lived it?

any advise or info would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Hi Coleen,

Nursing is regulated by the individual provinces in Canada and each province has its own Nursing Association. You'd need to register with the Association in the province you would reside in.

You will also need to be sure that your diplomas/certifications are validated in Canada as well.

Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website to see about qualifying for a visa:

www.cic.gc.ca/english

Regarding credentials visit:

www.credentials.gc.ca/index.asp

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert - Expat-blog Team

Hi

And thankyou

So do i need my credentials assessing by both ... what i mean is via the link u posted and the alberta psychiatric nursing association.

Thanks

Coleen

As I understand it you only need the credentials recognized by the government. The Alberta Nurses' Association would be whom you apply to for registration to practice in that province.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert - Expat-blog Team

Hi Coleen,

I am UK Registered Nurse working in Saskatchewan i am not sure if i can help?

In answer to your question immigration require ceritified copies of your training certificates. Not quite sure about the English test. I did not have to do this because English is my first language and i sent certified copies of my o'level in English.

You should look at the CRPNA website www.crpna.ab.ca  which is the Alberta Psychiatric Nurse registration website. Click on applicants and you will be able to then click on international credentials. It explains what is expected as minimal criteria of your training.

Have not heard of Jon Collins in reference to bridging courses. I know that for some International educated nurses (IEN) they do have to undergo a bridging course because their are gaps in training. I did not have to do a course like this however i did have to undergo a SEC assessment which consisted of written exams and practical tests in Obstetrics, Mental Health and Pediatrics because my original training transcripts from the 80's were incomplete.

The Psychiatric nursing exam i do not know anything about however  the CRNE is OK and consists of Multiple Choice questions. The biggest issue for me was trying to remember to not read too much into the question.

I can not tell you how long it took to move from the UK after applying as I came out with hubby who had obtained a LMO as a truck driver. We applied for the Saskatchewan provincial nominee program in August 2009 and eventually got our residency in April 2011.

My advice is to contact the CRPNA and they I am sure will help answer many of your questions. I know the SRNA were very helpful for me and were also very sympathetic.

If you have any questions then please feel free to ask on here.

Hi

Thanks for your reply and sooooo sorry for the late response. My journey came to a halt in attempting to move to Canada but my desire and determination remain fully intact. I have finally completed the form which I need to do to have qualifications assessed prior to applying for Alberta registration! Things stopped moving due to circumstances surrounding one of my children but all sorted, so now the ball is rolling ( I think lol ) .

I have heard so many negative stories around registration process... One thing I am still confused about is the visa process .... So I know I can't apply for a job until I am registered or almost registered but can't apply for via with out a visa ??  Immigration companies are coming at me left right and centre...

Looking forward to trying and hopefully being successful

Thanks again x

Hi,

Have you had any luck with the app process? I'm soon to be qualified in March and in adult branch! I've been told by various bloggers that a bridging course may be needed for myself, I don't know how that would be possible to keep flying over for courses. Any tips of where is best to get into would be great?

Hi there, I'm uk qualified, sat CRNE in Feb last year, I flew backwards & forwards for 2 years to meet all requirements/do courses/clinical placements etc, so it is doable, but costly! I did everything through the registered nurse professional development centre in Halifax NS, I didn't need to get my quals verified as I was assessed by rnpdc had to do maternal child health & paediatrics, then I sat CRNE. I've just been granted PR threw the NS Provincial nominee programme & again didn't need my quals verified by any external agencies as immigration accepted my registration with CRNNS. I did my immigration application on my own, didn't use agencies or lawyers, it took me 2 years from my initial application to gaining my registration & then a further 2 years to get PR, so you have to be determined & be in it for the long haul ! Hope this is some help

Hi all,
I've recently moved to Saskatchewan on my husbands visa, mine being an open work permit. I'm a UK trained adult registered nurse with one yr post qualifying experience.
My question is, what sort of process and time frame will it take me to become licensed to work here as an RN?
Any advice/help would be hugely appreciated! I've no idea of how long the process takes and it's my main concern. Thanks in advance.