Moving to Costa Rica from Calgary, Alberta

My husband and I are moving to Montezuma Costa Rica in January 2015 and are trying to find the easiest way to fly with our 50lb dog from Canada!  With her kennel she is 73 lbs and max weight is 70lbs to fly as baggage. Has anyone ever shipped through cargo?

First off have you checked whether you can ship a dog cargo in January from Calgary due to "Winter flying restrictions?" I think you may  encounter problems.

This change in weather to the hot temp in Montezuma may be very hard on your pet.

There are more discussions on this post 'Moving a pet successfully...'

Additional info regarding moving here.

Hi
We did this in February of 2013 from Liberia to Toronto.  We bought a XXL plastic crate and shipped her with United.  Note we flew Westjet she flew separately by United cargo.   United seem to have the only dedicated pet freight services in NA.  Most Canadian carriers will turn you down.
Cheers
Chris

I just flew two great dane puppies from Vancouver. It was very expensive and a lot of paperwork but worth it. No American airlines will fly pet cargo out of Canada even United. We ended up using a service which cost more but it was worth it! Also I didn't have any choice! Also, the XXL crates size 700 only fit on certain aircraft and not many fly into CR which was a huge pain to find routing. It took my dogs 3 days to get here! With two overnights in kennels.And you need international health certificates done by your vet then stamped by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency... AND when you get to CR you have to pick them up in the customs warehouse beside the airport and use need a customs broker and have to pay a bunch of  fees and tax... It was a long and complicated process. But my babies are here now and all is well :)