"Hong Kong" market

Hi All
I have been to several markets in HCMC but keep getting told I should go to the Hong Kong market. Only problem is I cant find it anywhere - have looked online, guidebooks etc  - Can ayone tell me where it is????

Katielou wrote:

Hi All
I have been to several markets in HCMC but keep getting told I should go to the Hong Kong market. Only problem is I cant find it anywhere - have looked online, guidebooks etc  - Can ayone tell me where it is????

Pending confirmation from locals, my guess is they're directing you to Chợ Lớn Market since it has a heavy Chinese population/participation.  Here's the wiki on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholon,_Ho_Chi_Minh_City

Other Expats probably knows more.

Thanks for your prompt response. I have been told that most of the locals shop at the hong kong market and then on-sell the goods at Ben Thanh market at highly inflated prices!! Obviously I would prefer to pay a far price and not get ripped off!!

Depending on what you are after, every district has it's own market even out in Binh Duong. Once you get away from the tourist areas, prices will come closer to locals, but you will never get the true local price.

May be they mentioned the Binh Tay (Chinese)market located in Q.6 :D
http://www.chobinhtay.gov.vn/Default.aspx
That's a wholesale market with cheap  price!

@laidbackfreak - I am asking about a specific market. Am aware of the myraid of markets around Vietnam and well and truly avoid the tourist areas :)
@charmavietnam - thanks for your suggestion but am hoping a local can point me to the correct market :)

Well I've asked several of my staff and none of them know the "Hong Kong" market and all ask if I mean Cho Lon... A quick google only throws up a Seafood market but nothing else.

So who told you about this market?

Dealing with prices.  I know they want the highest price and I have seen some pretty stupid people.  Just today, it was raining and I stopped for a pancho.  Was offered 500,0000 for the one I wanted.  I just laughed, offered 50,000 and it was mine.  I usually start my counter offers at 10% of their openning price unless it is already a good price.  For me it is usually taxi drivers trying to take advantage. Always put a crease in the corner of your bill.  That way when they show you a 10000 note you know you really paid with a 100000 note.  Just laugh and say nothing...

Hi there,
I was born in HCMC, and unfortunately i have never heard about HongKong market, even if from my ancestors and elderly relatives. In what situation and who have told you about that market? Are you sure you get the right fact? :)

Possibly, somebody may refer to "Chợ Lớn" (means big market), which consists of the western half of District 5 as well as several adjoining neighborhoods in District 6, with the center is Bình Tây market (the biggest wholesale market in HCMC)
Please read the fact at Chợ Lớn:)

Another interesting thing is "Hongkong market" occurred in an old joke in Saigon as following example conversation
A: Wow! you've got a branded new watch. Where did you buy it?
B: I bought it from Hongkong market.
A: Really? (A understand that this is a product of Hongkong with a good quality)
B: Yeah, Hongkong market is next to Chợ Lớn, haha (It means "Hồng Kông bên hông Chợ Lớn" in Vietnamese. In this case, B plays on words "Hongkong-bên hông" with the nearly same sound "ong", which means he bought it from Chợ Lớn market in fact)
Therefore, Hongkong market is the implication of Chợ Lớn.:D

Beside, i believe that you can buy almost everything from many markets in HCMC, so why should you only search for "imagined  Hongkong market"?:cool:
I hope it helps.:)

Thanks everyone for your help. I was told by a Vietnamese acquaintance about this market being the ONE to go to....but it seems it might be an urban myth.
@ thanks to EasyEnglishHouse maybe it is the old Saigon joke :):)

wow this topic is really useful for me. thank you

Actually, I stumbled upon this "Kim Biên Market" while exploring Chợ Lớn. It's like Bến Thành market except everything is smaller and tighter: smaller stalls, smaller walkway. It seems they sell everything there (electrical, cosmetics, clocks, watches, kids' toys, clothings ... and my favorite: foods. :lol:. I got my mosquitoes zapper there. :top:

Since not a lot of people know about it, the prices may be cheaper. But if you are non-asian, you are going to get special treatment in most places when shopping, unless you are with AncientPathos. :thanks:

Just google "Kim Bien Market" and it gives the location or leave me a note and I'll take you there.