Relocating to Dubai August 2008

Woo Hoo - Dubai here I come! Actually - getting a wee bit nervous.....

I need advice!!

Ok - Firstly, I am looking to secure long-term rental on accomadation. I am looking to organise this remotely (from the UK).

I am looking for a 1/2 bedroom apartment or villa. My budget is 130 000 AED p/a and I would like somewhere that can accomadate me and my two cats.

Does anybody have any finance advice ? Basically, although I have secured a fantastic job - my employer will not be covering accomadation - it is up to me therefore to arrange the fianance for the rental cheques - Are the loan facillities in Dubai that can help with this? I do not wish to buy at the moment, purely rent.

Also, I wondered whether anybody could give me vague ideas on costs re shipping furniture from the UK to Dubai - is it worth it ?

Anyway - any help, comments, advice would be MASSIVELY appreciated - feel free to post to my email add: [email protected]

HI

I am also relocating to Abu Dhabi in April where is my family will join me in August. Luckily My accomodation and utilitiy bills are paid for by Employer.

I wont be bothering with shipping my furniture, but I have read up that its not worth shipping your firniture (unless is very expensive ) as you can get it cheap in UAE including IKEA.

It will be difficult to get finnace staright away especially at competitive rates, but you should be able to get after 6 months of employment.

I would recomend that you should get this book from Amazon " Living in Dubai". I bought one for AbuDhabi and it is over 300 pages of information about all aspects of daily life, and how to get about it where to go, the process incloved, documents required and contact numbers. I would highly recomend it.

Liv1977, you need to have your residence visa before you can sign a lease, so you won't be able to organise it from the UK.
You can check out the classified ads in gulfnews.com for accommodation - demand is higher than supply so it's not easy to find a place. You could also contact real estate agencies such as Better Homes (bhomes.com)
Just as in the UK many apartment blocks don't allow pets so with two cats you'll probably have to look for a villa.
You can talk to the banks about the loan facility, we have plenty of local and international banks here. I'm sure they'll need employment contract, salary details, residence visa, passport copies, photographs etc etc - paperwork is the order of the day in Dubai.

Seabea you are right.. i agree with you.

Kitty