Husband and wife social workers

Saludos!

My wife Lou, our 2 boys, (8 and 1), and I are considering a move to San Miguel. Lou and I are both licensed social workers. I am the only bilingual person in the family, but Lou and Felix, (our 8 year old), are very anxious to learn Spanish.

We are interested in finding work for Lou and/or myself, (preferably but not necessarily in a helping profession).

We have visited on numerous occasions and fell in love with San Miguel. Happily we already have a place to live, but the move is contingent upon some sort of employment.

Please feel free to contact us if you care to chat or have a look at our resumes.

David Koerner
[email protected]
843-303-0309

Melissa "Lou" Koerner
Loumcgill11@hot mail.com
843-607-4705

Hi David and Melissa,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I suggest you browse through the Jobs in Mexico section and drop your resume in the work sector that you feel more comfortable doing please :)

Best of luck with everything !

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat.com Team

I'll do it!
Thanks a lot Maximilian!

Hi David and Melissa, I'd suggest exploring the immigration process as well. One needs employment certification to work in Mexico, which involves receiving a sponsorship/work invitation, or applying for a temporary work Visa.

Some say just come on down and hang your shingle, but, this can be very risky. If an immigration official decides to visit you (which happens), and you don't have the necessary documentation to work in the country, they will send you packing. I know I may sound a bit like "Debbie Downer" here, but, it's important to do it the correct way, especially if you fall in love with San Miguel, and decide you really want to settle here.

A fellow in San Miguel who has a good reputation is Ian Clement. Check out his Website, or send him an Email.

Saludos,
David MacLean

so very grateful David.

With all the good intentions of Ian Clement or anyone in Mexico, you have to start the immigration process where you live. Start with a visit to the nearest Mexican Consulate to learn of the income qualifications regarding permanent or temporary residence in Mexico. With a Residencia Permamente visa, you can work. You also have to realize that you are not licensed in Mexico. If you have experience with Mexicans or other Latinos in NYC, then the cultural differences that are part being a social worker will be lessened. It would be easier to start your own business or find a job before moving than to find employment after you settle. ¡Suerte!

oh so grateful for the input, xalapa!