Information required on Work permit & Resident visa

Hi All,

I am a software developer and having exp. of 5yrs. Willing to settle in iceland. What is the whole process for applying work/permanent resident visa? As per other site person should have good in icelandic language, is it true?? How much bank balance needed to support for Ist year??

Hi Harman,

You should check out the site for the Icelandic Directorate of Immigration: http://www.utl.is/english

As a non-EEA citizen, you would likely need a job contract with an employer in Iceland before you could apply for the residence permit. It takes about 90 days on average.

As for finding a job in Iceland, I unfortunately have no tips for you. ;'( 

P.S. It may be best to visit Iceland first before you decide you want to settle down here (if you haven't already).

Hi jrbowe,

Thanks for your quick response.

I per my knowledge, work permit and residence permit are different things.
For Work permit, job offer is must to enter into iceland.

For Residence permit, I have to check and looking for more information from you guys..

I have few more questions in my kitty, i will appricate if u can address these as well.
Basic pay(per hour as per labour rules):
Icelandic Language(Required y/n):
Job market(Up/Down easy to get or tough):

If person is on Student visa,
he/she can work over there or not:
Student can apply for residence permit(Y/N):

I am from india so non-EEA rules will apply for me.

Regards,
Harman

most of your questions should be answered on the immigration website jrbowe posted.

Icelandic language skills are not required to work or study here, at least you don't have to pass a test to get the permits. Whether your studies or work require it depend on what job or school you attend.

Pay depends on your job, of course, but there are minimum support requirements if you're applying for a res permit on the strength of your Icelandic employment.

Job market's not great but I'd think jobs can be found. Mostly employment here is found through personal contacts, although listings can be found (in Icelandic) on the major newspaper sites (visir.is, mbl.is).