Want to Drive from CA to Guatemala... Safety Concerns

Holas a Todos
I want to drive in a camper from California to Guatemala, maybe if time allows take a trip down to Panama too.  It is going to be a small group of us, but one of my friends is adamant that we must not drive and that we should fly.  I despise flying actually, plus I see no reason why a road trip through Mexico done with caution and smarts is not a bad idea.  What must I be aware of and is it a trip that we should not do by camper?

Hi Farmer

I have not done it myself but I know people who come down in car..
You have to get an insurance when you cross Mexican border for the time you will be in Mexico
Then in Guatemala insurance is not mandatory.
I have heard that better to travel by day in Mexico and not through the conflicting areas.. I have a friend who came on a motorbike send me a private message at [email protected] and I will send you his email
Be safe and enjoy..
A..

Thanks expect an email from me this Saturday!

My husband and I drove down from Oregon to Colima, about 5 hours south of Puerto Vallarta. We have also flown into Mexico City and drove across and down to Frontera Corazol almost Guate. We have also flown into Cancun and drove all over in that area. We saw plenty of gringos with trucks, campers, motor-homes. We have never had any issues, well a federali was trying to coerce cash out of my husband at the Mexico City Airport when we were in a no parking area. My husband just kept telling him to write him a ticket he was guilty. We were staying another week so not in a hurry to not miss a flight, he didn't give him a ticket. Did have him follow him to a dark area and had removed his name tag so was a little unnerving. I would much rather drive than fly IF we had time.

Thanks that helps and boosts confidence too!