Crisis- Shopping in Greece(girls this one's for u!)

Hi all!:)

Greece, as known by all( since the euro came in) is one of the most expensive countries in the E.E, I won't even bother discussing the difference between Greece and US/Canada.

I work in the import/export field and our cost and what we sell a certain item afterwards is a disgrace. Born and raised in Canada where compared to here everything seems ridiculously free(from groceries,to electronics, to beauty supplies to clothing)I refuse to pay more for things I can simply get elsewhere so much cheaper. Not having the option to travel to Canada but once a year to stock up, in the past years I've done my research and I'd like to share it with you. And NO I am not advertising I just really think it's worth sharing and I hate being fooled and throwing away my money!

My best discovery in the past years (and yeah I havent stepped in a Hondos Center/Sephora/Beauty Shop in a long time and I will never again! :)) are Beauty and drugstore supplies. Obviously by now you know I am referring to online shopping!After my extensive research and testing, the following sites ARE THE BEST for online shopping, with reference to service ,safety and prices.

1. feelunique.com FREE SHIPPING on all goods, you get to see prices in Euros by switching currency on site,very safe, big selection and so so cheap. UK based of course(if you are in the EU best to shop within it or u risk getting charged duties by Greek Authorities which trust me is not cheap)A L'oreal mascara which you will find in Hondos for about 20euros sells for 10euros...salon hairdressing shampoos etc are 30%-50% cheaper than buying locally and many times you get Salon sizes ;)Also has a range in vitamins and some home goodies. It's really worth a shot, this one is my favorite shop.

2. cheapsmells.com Once again Uk based, I shop here when I cant find something I need on The previous site: Feelunique. It has a small shipping fee per item, sometimes I compare item costs between both sites to see if I am still saving even after shipping charges, products are similar range like Feelunique. Very good prices and has sales often.

3. directcosmetics.com UK Based. Has designer and also pharmacy brands(Sally Hansen, Garnier ,etc) also has shipping fee but quote low. It has quite different things than above sites but very cheap specials!!I'm very satisfied with them also.

4. chemistdirect.co.uk This one is a different site, most products are pharmacy based(such as Shoppers Drug mart etc) VERY cheap compared to Greece big selection, electronics also, you have a standard basic shipping fee of about 8.50 euros no matter HOW many products you buy, it's a good site to shop when u need lots of things (if you check the site and compare prices you WILL see lots of things you will need because the prices are worth it. Very good site and service.

For above sites that you cant convert prices into euros (the 2 last ones if i am not wrong) you can go to Yahoo currency converter and check your total,don't worry once u go to checkout cart in all of them you can decide if you wanna continue(in case u wanna remove something or find shipping is too expensive) obviously in all of them you got to register and use a credit card, I have tried all of them several times so I can tell you they are all safe, shipping to Greece( I am in Piraeus/athens) takes about 7 working days, I love it, no need to throw away my cash, I save lots , find products that I cannot find in Greece and dont have to rush through the crowds in this busy city for my basics! There's perfumes, colognes, makeup all kinds of hair products, vitamins, OTC medicines(on ChemistDirect), electronics. Mens products are also available, hair products and colognes.

I hope you enjoy them, I dont think I could live without them!!!!!
Kat

Thank you for posting.

I also would like to recommend etsy.com.

This is US based. selling any kinds of handmade stuffs.
Works like ebay, although the prices are fixed.

Most sellers at Etsy are from US and Canada but they do international shipping at reasonable cost. In addition, a number of european sellers (including Greece, of course) sell their products at Etsy. It means cheaper and faster shipping - not always though.   

If you like clothing and jewelry, it would be worthwhile to look at the site.

Etsy is good I agree, however Greece being in EU shopping for US or Canada can be troublesome= Duty charges. Whereas within the EU there is no duty/custom fees. :) For clothing there are many worthwhile UK shops, I'll get back with that category as soon as I can :)

Fantastic thread! Thanks for the info!

Has anybody based in Crete bought food, clothing, maybe electronic goods from the UK and had it delivered to Crete ?

I wouldn't mind getting some 'home comforts' sent over but not sure which retailers/companies deliver to the island.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For food I will check

But Makeup etc:
feelunique.com (free Worldwide delivery)
eastendcosmetics.co.uk ( very low shipping rates)

electronics:
play.com ( Free shipping)

for food check Amazon.uk, depending on seller shipping varies, I've bought books etc.
:cool:

Thank you!

I've done some research of my own and in terms of clothes, a few UK retailers are now delivering to Crete...

Cotton Traders - 4 day delivery (£6.95)
Marks and Spencer - 10-14 day delivery (£15)
Next - free delivery but doesn't say how long...

Feel free to add!

Hi,

Thanks for sharing ! Very useful...
I have a question though,  you mentioned duties and taxes when we ship into greece,how can you tell if in general a website is subject to those or not ? ( besides the ones you mentioned)

simplyenn wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for sharing ! Very useful...
I have a question though,  you mentioned duties and taxes when we ship into greece,how can you tell if in general a website is subject to those or not ? ( besides the ones you mentioned)

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The thread you've responded to is very old and none of the participants has logged back on here for many years.  If you have a question, then perhaps if you create your own thread, people who have current knowledge will maybe respond.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Ohh i see thank you for letting me know ! ☺