Moving from Norway to Rio De Janeiro with family

We are wondering about moving to Rio De Janeiro from Norway with 3 children. Age 8, 16, 17 years old.
They are all use to live abroad. We lived in India from 2006-2008.

I need som help please!
* Good International school where other expat children goes?
* Best area to stay? We would realy like to have a house this
  time!
* How about the crime and safety?

I would realy like to get intouch with other familys that have som experience to share with me :)

My husband works for Jotun Paint and they are going to build a new factory right outside Rio.

best regards from
Christina Soiland, Norway

Rio de Janeiro is really so beautiful, the only problem is the violence, but it is not everywhere, all you must do is take care, just like any other big city in the world and relax, but there are so many other places in Brazil as beautiful as Rio and so less violence

When are you thinking of moving here?

Hi I am also moving out with family from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro as my husband works for an energy company. I have 3 kids, 11, 8 and 18 months!!

You have two big international schools: the British and the American school. Both have pages on the web. I have already visited the British a month ago and it is highly recommendable.

About safety and security I dare to say that if you are not showy and paying attention to areas you should not get into, everything  is fine.

The city itself has some of the nicest landscapes in the world.

Regards,

Hola, junto con mi esposo y mis dos hijos de 5 y 7 anos iremos a vivir a Rio para instalarnos como expatriados.
Quisiera conocer tu experiencia con ninos alli, como lugares para ir, barrios recomendables, escuelas, atencion medica y todo lo que puedan sugerirnos.
Un agradecimiento

Ma Ines

Hi mevoyario!

As you are on the English version of the site, please post in English so that other members can understand.

You may also post on the Spanish version of the forum if you want.

Thanks and regards
Armand

dont go to rio! im Brazilian, the best place to live in brazil is in the south!! rio is not a good city,its not safe

Do not listen to this last guy, Rio can be a wonderfull place to live once you get used to it, and yes violence is there, thatŽs why you have to be carefull and choose a nbice neighborhood to live, I have plenty of friends there and they love it... Your children will definately have a blast living there, itŽs a lively city!!!!

Hey, i know that Rio is also famous for violence, but it is not all about it.
There places to stay that will keep you far from violence.
( just make it simple, just google best areas to live in Rio as google also for international school for children)
what gonna happen very fast is your teenager children get very harrased for being from abroad and probably blond :) just make sure stays away from ppl involved with wrong stuff.

Rio is a magical place to live. I lived in copacabana before.

The life style is far different from the style a friend of mine live in Norway.

You will also learn some tips about being safe... it s not like south africa though, but things like dont stop at traffic light in the night, or ... too calm place. anyway, is impissible to describe it, but brazilians are very keen on helping ppl, so sure you will get advice everywhere!

good luck.