English as official language

If English is one of the official languages of Malta then why do I need to speak Maltese to be eligible for a course which is 85% financed from EU funds?

I totally agree with the Maltese efforts to preserve Maltese, but if English is also an official language, doesn't this mean that English speakers have the same rights as Maltese speakers?

I am not ranting, just curious.

where have you seen this requirement?

I have registered with ETC last week and I wanted to apply for their INT Scheme (Start your own business) to learn how to set up a business in Malta. I have spoken with the project coordinator who told me that I am not eligible because I do not speak Maltese (even though the presentations and the written materials are in English the discussions are in Maltese, I was told). He did not tell me that it is for Maltese citizens only, but kept going on about knowledgeable Maltese and that they do not plan to offer it in the near future for English speakers only, but I should check their website(the website currently lists a phone number to be called for further information:)) for any updates.

The same applies for the entrepreneur short courses.

am not sure that they can legally do it - but that doesnt mean they cant/wont do so.

Probably you are right. During the whole telephone conversation I felt like an undercover journalist:). I honestly wanted only some information but he would not give me a straight answer, going on and on about knowledgeable Maltese and that I should check their website for updates even though there are no plans for English only training in the near future.

If they taught it in English only what about the Maltese that don't speak very good English?
It seems to me that they are offering the course in dual Maltese / English to be fair to everyone.

In that case I would be able to join. I go to other courses where instructions are given in English/Maltese and I have no problem listening to Maltese conversation even though I do not understand much. The written materials are mostly in English and I always can ask questions in English. I think it should work the same way with this scheme.
I belong to a minority in my own country so I am used to being the one who speaks a different language.

Dear pevi,

‘…Equal treatment

When looking for work abroad, you have the same rights as nationals of your host country with regard to:
•    
•    support from employment services
•   

Source: Your Europe - Looking for work abroad:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/wo … -benefits/

Byron49 wrote:

Dear pevi,

‘…Equal treatment

When looking for work abroad, you have the same rights as nationals of your host country with regard to:
•    
•   

That's exactly what the Maltese are doing.
Maltese and anyone else must speak Maltese to get on the course.

tearnet wrote:
Byron49 wrote:

Dear pevi,

‘…Equal treatment

•    
•   

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Which, of course, is illegal.

And pray, which 'Law' does it contravene?
What is the punishment and the course of legal redress?
Any different to the UK?
I doubt it.

Byron49 wrote:
tearnet wrote:
Byron49 wrote:

Dear pevi,

‘…Equal treatment

•    
•   

Which, of course, is illegal.

So if I want to work in the Maltese television industry I can insist that the training and programs are all done in English because I can't be bothered to learn Maltese!!!

Get a life Byron,

Dear All,

thank you for your insights.

My original intention was to find out if English is an official language of Malta or not (according to wikipedia, yes, but is it written in the constitution or other law?) Or just most of the world assumes it, but officially only Maltese.

I just gave some background information why I was wondering. If only Maltese is an official language here, then understandable that ETC insists on Maltese knowledge. The ETC coordinator never told me that I must be a Maltese citizen to participate, just kept going on about to be able to communicate on both languages. I am really curious if they would turn down an Maltese for not having knowledgeable English.

Malta has two standards - the maltese standard and the maltese standard. simple really - legality is questionable and challengable i think.

The requirement of the maltese language here is well known to be used as a barrier to any foreigner looking for all sorts of things. thats a fact - hard to prove but if you think youve been wronged in some way. If it were me id take it further if it was something i felt strongly about.

pevi wrote:

Probably you are right. During the whole telephone conversation I felt like an undercover journalist:). I honestly wanted only some information but he would not give me a straight answer, going on and on about knowledgeable Maltese and that I should check their website for updates even though there are no plans for English only training in the near future.

that would sound to me like the co-ordinator either didnt know or is hiding something! sorry just the way I see it.

It does seem strange that you are not allowed to take the course yet the coursework and documents are in english.. i dont really see why they have a problem with it.

pevi wrote:

Dear All,

thank you for your insights.

My original intention was to find out if English is an official language of Malta or not (according to wikipedia, yes, but is it written in the constitution or other law?) Or just most of the world assumes it, but officially only Maltese.

I just gave some background information why I was wondering. If only Maltese is an official language here, then understandable that ETC insists on Maltese knowledge. The ETC coordinator never told me that I must be a Maltese citizen to participate, just kept going on about to be able to communicate on both languages. I am really curious if they would turn down an Maltese for not having knowledgeable English.

‘(2) The Maltese and the English languages ……….shall be the official languages of Malta and the Administration may for all official purposes use any of such languages:

Provided that any person may address the Administration in
any of the official languages and the reply of the Administration
thereto shall be in such language.'

Source: The CONSTITUTION OF MALTA - Chapter 1 / Article 5 / Subsection 2.   

See page 7: http://justiceservices.gov.mt/DownloadD … temid=8566

Furthermore, they are unlikely to turn down a Maltese national - even if many are functionally illiterate in English.

You missed out this bit:

5. (1) The National language of Malta is the Maltese Language.

And in that context (The Constitution) it applies to The Administration of Government.
Can't see anything specifically related to the languages used in educational establishments.

methinks there is a double edged sword in this somewhere....

toonarmy9752 wrote:

methinks there is a double edged sword in this somewhere....

Is there not always? :)

Or perhaps, quite appropriately in this case, the Sword of Damocles?

nothing really surprises me anymore -

I'm a Maltese citizen (got it way back when), but don't speak Maltese. How would they deal with that on the ETC course then? My son is struggling with Maltese at school and should he wish to go to university here, I have no idea whether he'd be barred if he didn't have Maltese at Matsec level. I would think not, legally, as he's an EU citizen. Ah, they say, he'd not get that lucrative stipend, which is linked to having Maltese at SEC. The uni teaches in English, exams in English etc etc. I've not got clear answers to that one either! Another case of one rule for Maltese another for other EU citizens? Trouble is, we're both.

lizayling wrote:

I'm a Maltese citizen (got it way back when), but don't speak Maltese. How would they deal with that on the ETC course then? My son is struggling with Maltese at school and should he wish to go to university here, I have no idea whether he'd be barred if he didn't have Maltese at Matsec level. I would think not, legally, as he's an EU citizen. Ah, they say, he'd not get that lucrative stipend, which is linked to having Maltese at SEC. The uni teaches in English, exams in English etc etc. I've not got clear answers to that one either! Another case of one rule for Maltese another for other EU citizens? Trouble is, we're both.

Dear lizayling,

Re: ‘…..Ah, they say, he'd (your son) not get that lucrative stipend, which is linked to having Maltese at SEC….'

If that is what ‘they' say, then it is false - according to their own regulations -  which stipulate as follows:

Excerpt:

‘The Stipends Office on Campus caters for students who are reading for a degree at the University of Malta. Students who are attending other institutions, such as Junior College, MCAST, or Higher Secondary, should contact their stipends office respectively………………………..

•    Stipend grants are strictly available for students who:

1.          are Maltese citizens, or students with at least one parent being a Maltese citizen; and

2.          have resided in Malta for a period of not less than five years from the commencement of the relative course of studies; and

3.          have completed their term of compulsory education; and

4.          are attending their course regularly and making satisfactory progress

Students who are 23 years of age and did not satisfy the entry requirements, but have been accepted as "mature students" under the Admissions Regulations of 1997 are to contact the Stipends Office.'

Source: http://www.um.edu.mt/stipends/stipends

Re: ‘…………I would think not, legally, as he's an EU citizen…..'

You are correct. As a non-Maltese EU resident, he is legally entitled to equal treatment to that accorded to a Maltese national, that is; No tuition fees payable as well as eligibility for a stipend grant as long as he likewise fulfils the requirements specified from 2 to 4 inclusive.

Byron,
Thanks for this extensive research and input. I do wonder though about what lies behind the point: 'have completed their term of compulsory education'. That might mean having passed the SEC, Maltese being compulsory to pass. I am sure there's some catch in this. The rest of the points makes sense and in theory, reading them at face value, he should be entitled to the stipend (though by the time he reaches uni age, I would think this anachronistic relic of a grant would have long gone. No one gets paid to go to uni in the rest of Europe! My son is a Maltese citizen, forgot to say.