Considering to move to Accra

Hello Forum Members

I am negotiating a work opportunity to be based out of Accra initially for 3 months. My prospective employer is willing to pay me GHS 1,000 per month as my local expenses and take care of my visa, flight tickets, accommodation, official transport(during weekdays) and lunch(during weekdays). I've couple of questions before I accept this offer

1. Is GHS 1,000 enough to take care of my dinner expenses(I plan to cook my own dinner), mobile phone calls (prepaid), occasional city outings during weekend? What popular fruits are available in Accra? How much is the cost of fruits (esp watermelon, banana, pineapple)? How much does milk cost (cow or goat milk)?

2. How safe is it to live in Airport Area of Accra?

3. Apart from official transport, what is the cost of hiring a local taxi?

4. What is typical temperature between November till January?

Please advise.

If 1000 cedis is only for expenses then it should be OK. Phone calls, especially overseas are very cheap. I ring the UK and can speak for half an hour for around 3 cedis. Banana, pineapple, oranges and pawpaws are always available and are relatively inexpensive. Mangoes are seasonal. Cow's milk is readily available but it is the longlife type.
The airport area is a safe area and it will probably cost you 10-15 cedis depending on how far you want to go.
November to January is hot - around 33 degrees during the day and it is also the start of the harmattan season so will also be dry and dusty.

Thank you Ma'am. Your response does clear many of my doubts.
Thanks once again :)

Hi All,

I am an professional accountant from India ,presently working in the Middle east. I am very much interested in relocating to Ghana as an expat. Could you please explain me how can I approach the good companies in Ghana ? I am applying through online job sites .but not getting response from the employers. Could you please give me the names of the reliable job consultants in Ghana ,who are specialized in recruiting expats ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards ,

Srinivas

Hi ,

I am an professional accountant from India ,presently working in the Middle east. I am very much interested in relocating to Ghana as an expat. Could you please explain me how can I approach the good companies in Ghana ? I am applying through online job sites .but not getting response from the employers. Could you please give me the names of the reliable job consultants in Ghana ,who are specialized in recruiting expats ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards ,

Srinivas