Buying motorbike in November

Hey,

My girlfriend and I are from Fremantle, Western Australia, we'll be in HCMC in November and are looking for a bike to buy.

Was just looking for any help/advice anyone may be able to offer?

Cheers

Hi,
I'm leaving VN for Italy on 21st November and would like to sell my Honda bike. drop me email at "[email protected]" i will send you the photo and the details. It's new bike i just bought for 2 months only.

RoryPD wrote:

Hey,

My girlfriend and I are from Fremantle, Western Australia, we'll be in HCMC in November and are looking for a bike to buy.

Was just looking for any help/advice anyone may be able to offer?

Cheers

Rent first.  Otherwise visit the top two most popular manufacturers for new motorbikes.

http://www.honda.com.vn/

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.vn/

There's also Suzuki (Japanese), SanYang Motors (abbreviated as SYM, Taiwanese), Kawasaki (Japanese but manufactured mostly in Thailand),  and Piaggio (Italian) brands as well.

If you are going to be here for a vacation, then renting would be a better choice as you no need to go to all the hassle of selling it when you decide to leave the country.

Even if you are looking to buy brand new motorbikes, I don't think it is possible for foreigners to buy motorbikes in Vietnam yet. Not the brand new ones from the Honda, Yamaha or some other brand's showrooms.

And if you think about buying second hand ones, you should be know quite abit about motorbikes to make sure you don't end up buying some stupid bikes which looks good on the outside but is crap inside or in other words, get cheated.

So the best thing to do is rent one and give it back to the shop and your off!

Hope you have a good trip!

Welcome to Saigon!
Agree with THD. Better you should rent some models to check whether it is comfy for you to drive :D Then you can buy one if want to stay long term. If you prefer second hand one, then do not go for a too old. Just 2-3 years old enough. Good luck!

@Anna:
Why don't you post the details such as model, year of manufacture, expected price,etc?

dathancna wrote:

Even if you are looking to buy brand new motorbikes, I don't think it is possible for foreigners to buy motorbikes in Vietnam yet. Not the brand new ones from the Honda, Yamaha or some other brand's showrooms.

An opportunity to make a buck off a foreigner, are you kidding?  :D
Of course you can buy a new motorbike.  You'll need a Vietnamese driver's license and will have to register it, probably some place in HCMC since they're all set up to service foreigners (in other words, don't go out in the province).  The salespeople at the Honda and Yamaha showrooms will definitely go out of their way to help you buy their new motorbike (they've even discounted by a few million due to the economic slowdown). 

You'll register your motorbike under your name and will receive a "NN" license plate.  This is so when you're driving along, locals will know who to target for thefts (I really have no other explanation for why you get a special license plate that identifies you are a foreigner).

Really? Well I didn't know that. I just know that even for a Vietnamese to buy a motorbike here in HCM city, you need to have a family book or something to prove that you are from here or something and I just figured that it would be even harder for a foreigner to buy one. Thank for the enlightenment!

And the thought about getting an NN plate and making yourself a victim of theft, I'd rather not buy one as a foreigner!

Yes you can buy and register under your name if you possess a TRC/PRC/WP :D
I would suggest if you have a trusted Vietnamese friend, better buy under their name. I bought 2 motorbikes without a 'NN-number plate' :D

The average foreigner can  have a bike in their name, but its not a simple process. Its not like you can just walk in and ask for a bike in your name at a Honda shop, I have bought 4 new bikes here and just registered in a VN name.

Well that's what I was wondering about. So basically you do need some sort of documentation such as the TRC or WP in the first place right?

It kind of sounds like its a really easy process for a foreigner to buy a new motorbike in Vietnam as what THD said.

And so many shops(staff, not owners) hesitate to do that even if you have all documents because of laziness :D

Trust me, its not easy, its lots of paperwork and money.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Yeah we were planning on buying secondhand. Your opinion on what is a good price for a decent secondhand Honda Win? Also (while I have your attention) if anyone has any suggestions for cool places to visit on our travels between hcmc and hanoi, please, don't hold back.
cheers

dathancna wrote:

I don't think it is possible for foreigners to buy motorbikes in Vietnam yet. Not the brand new ones from the Honda, Yamaha or some other brand's showrooms.

saigonmonkey and laidbackfreak beg to differ with you on this. It's good that you said you "don't think", because other than that, your entire statement is wrong.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

You'll need a Vietnamese driver's license

Actually, No. But, you do need your passport, valid VN visa or temporary resident card, work permit, and your "Xac Nhan Luu Tru", which is the document of residence issued by the ward police. Oh, and don't forget the most important requirement - CASH.

No VN driver license is required to buy a motorbike, although it IS a good idea to have one.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

You'll register your motorbike under your name and will receive a "NN" license plate.  This is so when you're driving along, locals will know who to target for thefts (I really have no other explanation for why you get a special license plate that identifies you are a foreigner).

THD: Paranoid much? In my experience here, there is more "local on local" crime than "local on foreigner", and most locals know if they're caught committing a crime against a foreigner, they'll be thrown UNDER the jail. I have a "NN" plate. No worries here.

dathancna wrote:

And the thought about getting an NN plate and making yourself a victim of theft, I'd rather not buy one as a foreigner!

Don't get me wrong - I really like Tran Hung Dao. I really do. Hope to meet him in person soon. But as far as I know, he is the only person here who is concerned about this.:)

colinoscapee wrote:

If you have all of your documentation sorted and ready, ahead of time, a new motorbike can be purchased in one afternoon. In a matter of hours, you'll be riding out of the showroom, albeit with no license plate on the back, but you're given a document to keep with the bike, until the registration is processed in a few days, to show police if you're stopped. Easier than buying a new car in the USA, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the much added information saigonmonkey! Well I wasn't really sure so I just stated some information which I thought was right. Anyway it's great to find out more! :)

I have a second hand bike , but should be ok for u guys to travel and save petrol , 250$ With full legal docume , reach to me at  0909902047 then I can show u pic

saigonmonkey wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

You'll need a Vietnamese driver's license

Actually, No. But, you do need your passport, valid VN visa or temporary resident card, work permit, and your "Xac Nhan Luu Tru", which is the document of residence issued by the ward police. Oh, and don't forget the most important requirement - CASH.

No VN driver license is required to buy a motorbike, although it IS a good idea to have one.

I stand corrected.  You do not need a driver's license to buy the motorbike.  It is a good idea to have one since the moment you get on the motorbike and drive it out of the showroom, you will get pulled over and be fined up the whazzoo.  There will also be a high probability that your brand spanking new motorbike will be confiscated for 30 days, sitting unprotected in the weather rotting away until you pay the fine and retrieve it.

Maybe I just should stand by my statement and say "You'll need a Vietnamese driver's license" not because it's a legal thing but a pragmatic thing.

With Khánh Hòa Province (Nha Trang City is Khánh Hòa Province) in recently making it illegal for shops to rent motorbikes to foreigners without driver's licenses

http://en.baomoi.com/Info/Province-bans … 390307.epi

(we can thank our drunken Expat friends for this), I can see the country on a national level start making it illegal for dealerships to sell motorbikes to foreigners without a driver's license....but for the time being, there's just too money to be made selling motorbikes to unlicensed foreigners.

saigonmonkey wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

..., until the registration is processed in a few days, ....

More like a few weeks.  I had to go to the "DMV" here two times with my Vietnamese cohort over a period of a few weeks (I don't have an "NN" plate nor do I ever want one in case I need to sell my motorbike.  They're only useful if you import your vehicle from the home country - like my TESLA from the USA...:D ).  Now I'll never complain about the long waits at the DMV in the States.  Again this was done in the Province so things might be faster in the Big City.

Yeah, depends on how you make them happy and the hold of the dealer on them, it will be fast!

As with everything in Vietnam, money first.

Saigonmonkey
If you have all of your documentation sorted and ready, ahead of time, a new motorbike can be purchased in one afternoon. In a matter of hours, you'll be riding out of the showroom, albeit with no license plate on the back, but you're given a document to keep with the bike, until the registration is processed in a few days, to show police if you're stopped. Easier than buying a new car in the USA, as far as I'm concerned.

I was actually referring to how hard it is to get a bike in your own name, not buying one.

THD
(we can thank our drunken Expat friends for this), I can see the country on a national level start making it illegal for dealerships to sell motorbikes to foreigners without a driver's license....but for the time being, there's just too money to be made selling motorbikes to unlicensed foreigners.

Just another pie in the sky, it wont happen.Same as the scam taxis at Benh Thanh market, police said they will get rid of them so many times, then the enevelope turns up and all is forgotten.

saigonmonkey wrote:

But, you do need your passport, valid VN visa or temporary resident card, work permit, and your "Xac Nhan Luu Tru", which is the document of residence issued by the ward police.

Turns out you don't even need your work permit, but it will cost you 1 million vnd more to register it without it, go figure TIV :D

As SM says if you have all your paperwork ready, it's not difficult to buy a bike and register in your name. Certainly helps if someone is giving you the information as you go eh SM ;)

saigonmonkey wrote:

It's also needed should you get stopped by the police or if you are involved in an accident. Check your health policy out. No licence,chances are you wont be covered.

colinoscapee wrote:

THD

Just another pie in the sky, it wont happen.Same as the scam taxis at Benh Thanh market, police said they will get rid of them so many times, then the enevelope turns up and all is forgotten.

Not so sure on this one, it's a small market and only another piece of paperwork that will be required. So for those foreigners buying new I think it will be pretty easy to enforce.
TBH I don't see why they shouldn't enforce it, it's not exactly difficult to obtain your driving licence here.
They are also talking about making the A2 licence available to everyone, so that should make things a bit more interesting.

I think there will be a big resistance, one lady in D1 owns about 200 bikes, she will feel it badly. The problem in Viet Nam as most of us know is the is no uniform laws across the country, also money can get you anything you want.Why dont they let international licenses be recognised, that would save a shitload of problems. But as with most things here its just a band aid solution as usual.

laidbackfreak wrote:

Certainly helps if someone is giving you the information as you go eh SM ;)

Yes, and I was wondering how long it would take you to chime in here. I've been waiting for you to help me - especially since you are the "Master" of ex-pat motorbike purchasing. :D

laidbackfreak wrote:

it's not exactly difficult to obtain your driving licence here.

This is true. Any of you who know someone who has offered to "help" you get a VN motorbike license for multiple millions of dong - they're scamming you. You can get the license yourself (with the help of a Vietnamese friend who knows where to go - in my case, that's my driver) for about 300,000 VND, and this fact has been posted on this forum in other threads.

Edit:
To be more specific, here are my driver license expenses:

Photos for driver license (similar to passport photos) - 70,000
Health Check at Q8 district hospital - 35,000
Parking for my car at hospital to do health check - 10,000
Translation of my USA driver license to Vietnamese - 110,000
VN Driver license fee - 260,000

Total - 485,000 VND

saigonmonkey wrote:
laidbackfreak wrote:

it's not exactly difficult to obtain your driving licence here.

This is true. Any of you who know someone who has offered to "help" you get a VN motorbike license for multiple millions of dong - they're scamming you. You can get the license yourself (with the help of a Vietnamese friend who knows where to go - in my case, that's my driver) for about 300,000 VND, and this fact has been posted on this forum in other threads.

Edit:
To be more specific, here are my driver license expenses:

Photos for driver license (similar to passport photos) - 70,000
Health Check at Q8 district hospital - 35,000
Parking for my car at hospital to do health check - 10,000
Translation of my USA driver license to Vietnamese - 110,000
VN Driver license fee - 260,000

Total - 485,000 VND

Interesting to see that you didnt have to get your information notarised by your embassy, each time I did mine they requested it. I also never had to do the medical test, so much for uniform laws,lol.

colinoscapee wrote:

Interesting to see that you didnt have to get your information notarised by your embassy, each time I did mine they requested it. I also never had to do the medical test, so much for uniform laws,lol.

I didn't post the information required for a driver license, but since you mention it, what was needed for me was the following:

My USA driver license (it's a credit card-sized plastic card, so I don't know how the US consulate could notarize it)
8 3x4 photos with blue background
Passport
VN visa OR Temp Resident Card
Work permit
Document of VN translation of my US license
And of course, the health check form

As for uniform laws - it's not that they're not uniform, it's the fact that they constantly change! VN changes their laws, rules, and regulations so often that even their own officials can't keep up with the changes. You can go to one government office and be told one thing, then go to another one and be told differently. So your not having to do the health check I'm sure was the rule/law at THAT particular time. Funny thing about that health check - they had me go in a room with a dentist chair and checked my teeth. Since when do you need a full set of good teeth to drive a car or motorbike?? :D

We were given a form to been signed by the embassy, I had to take my application form,currentt Australian drivers license and my passport .The official had to sign it and declare identification was verified.My brother had his license renewed here in Ba Ria and all he had to do was have some passport photos done and his existing license,go figure.

As far as uniform laws go, my friend applied to get a new 3 year residence card in My Tho. The official told him they dont do 3 years in My Tho, when he showed them a copy of my 3 year residence card, the reply was"this is My Tho, we do it our way" end of story.I had just had mine done about two months before and the law had not change, just officials pushing their own way of doing things.

Maybe uniform in theory, but not in practice.

Did your teeth pass the driving test medical

"ignorantia legis neminem excusat"
But I felt in many incidents that the staff in almost every department acts as they are beyond laws :D Even in health care!

colinoscapee wrote:

Did your teeth pass the driving test medical

I guess so. They signed off on all checks. Would be interesting to know what they were looking for, or how much would need to be wrong for me to fail.

So people with bad teeth better beware, bad choppers, equal no license.

:lol: How about a psychiatrist just asking parents' name or grand parents' name in a mental health check for marriage purposes?

Very techincal stuff these tests. My mate was doing his marriage medical and was asked at Phan Thiet hospital...
Doctor "are you crazy"
Reply..."not that I know of"
Doctor " great, your fine"